'14 coolant leak & A/C stopped working

rmilchman

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Woke up the other day to what appears to be coolant on my driveway. The overflow reservoir was empty. I checked it the prior week and it was full. I brought it back up to full and drove around the block. So far it's still full. The same time it went empty my A/C stopped blowing cold. Coincident?

I really like the car, but after new injectors a month ago (warranty) and a possible coolant leak. I'm wondering if I should consider selling it before my warranty expires at 124K miles, currently I have 94K.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
your a/c. the most common thing is for the solenoid on the pump to stop working right. its a 20 buck part.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
A/C seems to be working this morning, coolant is the water pump. There goes $1100 including timing belt kit.
yeah, as you drive slower around town the ac stops working. but when you go down the highway it works again. do the tb kit. and 1100 for it to be done is fairly cheap. also you might be able to have voa cover part of the waterpump because they are supposed to last 120k before replacement.

Last edited:

rmilchman

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Time to decide if I should keep it or not. I like the car, but am a little worried. Just had 4 injectors replaced (warranty), water pump. I have heard some say that after the "fix" that was done it's harder on parts and the life span of the engine is less, others have said the fix had no impact.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Here’s my experience: my car was a company car, it was parked for 18 months (only 4,000 miles in that time frame as opposed to 20,000 a year). Purchased 9/17 at 50k, 10/17 52k - heater core, 10 days later puddle in the parking lot - failed water pump, coolant contaminated timing and serpentine belts. At 59k - oil leak around injectors. All covered under warranty extension / powertrain. Im at 84,600 miles 2.5 years. All good for the last 25,000 miles, just maintenance.

rmilchman

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Here’s my experience: my car was a company car, it was parked for 18 months (only 4,000 miles in that time frame as opposed to 20,000 a year). Purchased 9/17 at 50k, 10/17 52k - heater core, 10 days later puddle in the parking lot - failed water pump, coolant contaminated timing and serpentine belts. At 59k - oil leak around injectors. All covered under warranty extension / powertrain. Im at 84,600 miles 2.5 years. All good for the last 25,000 miles, just maintenance.
Thanks, decided to keep it. Just not the time for me to make a big purchase.

otep858

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Passat TDI (Times 2) SEL Premium
If it's any consolation I had a water pump fail (leaking) at 75k on my 15 and vwoa refused to cover it under warranty. Even tho it spells it out fairly clearly in the extended emissions warranty. I went rounds and rounds with them. Vwoa customer service is non existent after the emissions settlement.. I just ended up doing the TB service myself

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk