14.77@91.85MPH

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
That's good stuff- Better 60' and ET than my V6 Camaro...

For the next time, a quick and easy FWD traction tip (you may have already knew this, but here goes) Go out to Autozone or Advance and pick up some cheap coil spring spacers, they look like rubber doughnuts with grooves that fit the coil spring. Jack the car up at the track, pop one in each rear spring and you're good to go. My buddy dropped 2 tenths off his 60' on his Honda, no other changes. Good luck!

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49

hayden

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf
Me too.. long time ago. I think I wrote a kill story and posted it then. It was a v6 and the driver was SO pissed. I was just chipped at the time.

Gord

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 2001, yellow
Those are some real impressive numbers!

I seem to recall a tuner magazines (Sport Compact Car?) had a piece by one of the editors who had taken notice of the whole "TDI" thing and promissed a full article on anyone's car who was able to get into the 14's with a TDI.

It was a few years ago IIRC, but I think this would qualify.

Anyone else remember this?

-Gord

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
Yeah, I think it was Eurotuner- every so often a reader will write in asking where the TDI builds are, they always reply "we're getting there, the technology is there..." etc.. but the only TDI feature they did (that I've seen) was a mostly stock A4 Golf with a full custom interior and big wheels. Yay. A 14.7 would beat some of their supercharged VR6's that they do about every other month.

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
It was Eurotuner. They also wanted the TDI to have some "bling", like wheels, body stuff, etc. Having seen Atomic's car, he qualifies for an article with ease. Time to let Eurotuner and Atomic together!

AtomicSushi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Golf GL
It was Eurotuner. They also wanted the TDI to have some "bling", like wheels, body stuff, etc. Having seen Atomic's car, he qualifies for an article with ease. Time to let Eurotuner and Atomic together!
My car is well worn. I guess in the pics it would look cool though. Once I get the head and cam on and am able to do a run with slicks I might actually think about trying to whore myself out to eurotuner and see if they are interested.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
I hope they would not ask you to go WOT and take a picture from the rear ..... poor readers would not see much from the car, LOL

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Howard, We can get together and do a photoshoot and I can chop up your car real nice. Just say the word.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
What about the Photographer car guy in So Cal? Thawley? (is that the right username?)

I bet he could make that heap of yours look good Howard! Esp in the Cali sun

And i hear they have these places called Detailers
they clean the car for you and make it look like new
- costs money though

Trap speed - thats the mantra now - ya've broken the 15 barrier and now just work on pusing up that trap speed number (and well the time too).

Maybe a 13 run isn't that far off for ya????

hayden

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf
Either that, or he didn't want to bust his tranny! :p You don't exactly see everybody focusing on the fact that he beat another car in a race. He just beat every TDi in North America. THAT is impressive, and the amount of work and ingenuity that the people on this board put into their cars.. especially the ingenuity part, per capita, is the strongest of any car community I've ever seen. My brother has a WRX with the Cobb Accessport and my car still FEELS faster, in that it pushes you in your seat and all I have is a chip and injectors. So mr. tdis_suck, why do tdis suck exactly? They make more power than a wrx per mod, they look better than a wrx (widely accepted opinion) and OH they get twice the milage of a wrx. hrmmm.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
He just beat every TDi in North America. THAT is impressive,
He beat quite a few 1.8T's, too. In the October '04 European Car issue, they put together quite a few modified GTI's and tested them on the track. Granted, it was a hot day but these are the results:

NHRA Altitude Corrected 1/4 miles e.t. and trap speeds:
Dahlback Racing 14.09 @ 120.6
AXIS 14.54 @ 98.9
ABD 14.74 @ 98.4
HPA GTI 14.98 @ 98.3

I left out the faster cars (two modified R32s, one Mk II 1.8T pumping out over 400 HP, a turbo VR6 Mk III, and some really heavily modified 1.8Ts).

The Dahlback car was soft-launched to preserve its drivetrain. This car is an insane combination of Audi motorsports parts and stuff. Basically, it's a carbon-fiber tube-framed race car for the street that looks like a Mk IV GTI. Even the engine is pointing in the wrong direction (it's a 5 cylinder turbo from the Audi RS3).

The AXIS car has a K04 turbo, FMIC, chip, intake exhaust. They said that this car was plagued with some electrical glitch that limited power from its engine but if you compare it to...

The ABD car is very similar to the AXIS car but is even more intensively modified (more intake mods!), pulling a slower 1/4 mile time.

The HPA GTI was a single-turbo VR6 running 11PSI of boost!

Now, when you consider that these cars were built as performance cars to begin with and that TDIs sold in the US are competing with Honda's Civic Hybrid and Insight, and Toyota's Prius, all you can do is smile.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Peter, do they mention in that article what kind of tires/wheels those contenders were equipped with and also the weight? Thanks.

AtomicSushi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Golf GL
Howard, We can get together and do a photoshoot and I can chop up your car real nice. Just say the word.
Word. I'll clean my car and fix my rear wing after the head swap and we can hook up.
Oh Peter. I noticed I was smoking REALLY bad when we met up a few weekends ago then checked and found my that the connector on my boostvalve and blown off and I was leaking boost. Not nearly as bad now. I think my MAF might be going though. Not nearly as much smoke these days (and slightly less power).

peter pyce

Veteran Member
.... I noticed I was smoking REALLY bad when we met up a few weekends ago then checked and found my that the connector on my boostvalve and blown off and I was leaking boost. Not nearly as bad now. I think my MAF might be going though. Not nearly as much smoke these days (and slightly less power).
Yeah, if the goal was to impress me with smoke, you were extremely successful, LOL
I think if YOU do not melt or blow anything, then these engines are really something extraordinary.....

Dan, let's GTG next week, I would liek ot read that article. The RA tires are not really drag tires, but still race tires, so I wonder what Howard could do when he gets something like that, possibly on smaller and lighter wheel. Let's face it, those 17" with the Sumitomo are not really in big help and that is why his 14.77 is very impressive.

AtomicSushi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Golf GL
Howard, I noticed that you did not post about this on NorCalVW. Do you, like me, notice that these kids just don't give a s**t about TDI's or what?
They don't care about TDIs much over on NorcalVW.
I did post this time in the 1/4 mile section in the racing forum. I never got around to posting it in the other sections. I think I'll do that today.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Yeah, I caught one of the members on the freeway a while back and played with her. She had a chip and some other minor mods (no turbo) and then she 'disappeared' from the forums for three weeks after I posted the sighting. Seems like the young gasser crowd don't like being messed with by an econobox, eh?

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
I saw a Seat 1.9 TDI at legal racing here (East Europe / Romania) doing something like 10 sec (timed it with the cellular's timer - 0,1 sec error).

<font color="red">LATER EDIT: I was sooooo wrong watching the movie... the finish line is where the orange cones begin. SO it's not 10sec it's 15sec for the 1/4 mile.
Excuse my wrong calculation. Grab a video editor to mark exactly the start and finish; I used VirtualDUB</font>

It has 4Motion (helps ALOT for the start) and multiple mods:

VNT20
custom chiptuning
lightweight flywheel
custom exhaust headers (yes, you read right)
free exhaust

Dynoed to 250HP (it is the 150HP stock 1.9TDI engine)

http://www.dimsport.ro/albums/Album-DIMSPORT/grupa_c_finala.avi

see also

http://www.insomniaracing.org/Members/ceky/ceky.htm

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
300 hp will be fairly routine with the PD motors here before too long... Bosio is working on a "Race" nozzle. The fuel is what holds them back, but not for long. We may be limited by the available injection volume inside the injector, kind of like the POWERSTROKEs were.

AtomicSushi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Golf GL
hmm, nice.
Maybe I'll have to get a PD before too long.
I'm praying that we get MKV PD TDI GTIs here in North America.
We should have the fuel by then.

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
as an excuse for my above mistake I'll post another link to a video (1,6Mb) with Ceky...

Ceky start off

PS: Excuse the retard in the background that started laughing like a donkey... I couldn't strip the audio because of the spool of the turbo