12V Power Source for Ham Radio

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
I'm going to install a VHF ham radio in my 2006.5 Jetta TDI, and either need a source of 12v power in the cabin that can supply at least 15 amps (more would be better, 20A would provide ample cushion), or I need a route to the engine compartment to tap into the battery. Obviously, it would be easiest to find something in the cabin (switched or unswitched is OK). Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks!

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Take a look at this thread on the Vortex - which may provide some ideas:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2678057

One possible solution is to use a LittleFuse "Add-a-Circuit" and tap into power in the fusebox -- either in an empty slot or in a slot that is taken, although it appears the max. amps for this application is 10 (i'm not sure if there are versions that go higher).

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=071-580

Having recently done some work that required me to send wires through the firewall, I can say that it's not that difficult. You just need to remove the battery and battery tray, and then use a straightened wire hanger to poke the wire through the rubber grommet just above the fuel pedal where most of the wires go. Of course, you'll need to attach your connector after you have the wire through the firewall.

Last edited:

hamTDIguy

TDI
JETTA, 2005.5, White
Your best bet is to run the power from the battery to the radio direct. Ensure both the + and - are fused, close to the battery terminals to protect the radio from the car's electronics and vice versa.

That said, I run off a 12V optima yellow top from the trunk. I have to recharge the battery every so often, but at 10 watts output, that battery goes pretty long. Not so long when I crank it up to 55 watts, which is rare though. One of these days I'll try the other path.

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
hamTDIguy said:
Your best bet is to run the power from the battery to the radio direct. Ensure both the + and - are fused, close to the battery terminals to protect the radio from the car's electronics and vice versa.

That said, I run off a 12V optima yellow top from the trunk. I have to recharge the battery every so often, but at 10 watts output, that battery goes pretty long. Not so long when I crank it up to 55 watts, which is rare though. One of these days I'll try the other path.
I was afraid of that -- running power from the battery. Every time I get into running wires through the firewall of any vehicle it's a giant PITA.

Noticed that you've got the Icom V8000 -- that's the radio I'm planning on buying. What do you think of it?

73's de WB4EZM

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
dieselrox said:
I was afraid of that -- running power from the battery. Every time I get into running wires through the firewall of any vehicle it's a giant PITA.
Really, I'm a complete electrical novice, and getting the wire through the firewall was fairly painless. There's a discussion of how to remove the battery on this helpful blog: http://furmanka.blogspot.com/

(You don't need to remove the air pipes, etc.- just the battery and covers - I'm not sure you actually need to take out the tray holding the battery). You should then be able to see where all the wires go through the firewall, and simply use the wire hanger technique to poke the wire through. Good luck.

Last edited:

Strider

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
hamTDIguy said:

If Kenwood comes out with a replacement for the D700A at Dayton this year, my plan is to run a high-current line from the A fuse block to the truck, and mount the radio's brain box under the parcel shelf, along with a reasonably sized sinewave inverter.

Given how the battery is wired to that block, I don't see there being much noise difference between the bus bar there, and directly to the battery terminal. (Looks like VW used at least 0 ga wire, and the position next to the battery connection is open for use).

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
Well, I just got lucky! Went out to the TDI to scope out how I would run power from the battery and had a VERY nice surprise -- when Best Buy installed my subwoofer, they ran a power cable from the battery to the trunk. Bingo! Got my power run, it's right behind the back seat. Whew!! This is gonna be easy...(and I like easy) :D

I'm driving the TDI to Texas and back in late June (going to visit family near Houston for a couple of weeks), and it's a perfect excuse to go active on 2 meters again.

73's de WB4EZM

Last edited:

golden_eagle

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
dieselrox said:
Well, I just got lucky! Went out to the TDI to scope out how I would run power from the battery and had a VERY nice surprise -- when Best Buy installed my subwoofer, they ran a power cable from the battery to the trunk. Bingo! Got my power run, it's right behind the back seat. Whew!! This is gonna be easy...(and I like easy) :D

I'm driving the TDI to Texas and back in late June (going to visit family near Houston for a couple of weeks), and it's a perfect excuse to go active on 2 meters again.

73's de WB4EZM
What are your plans for an antenna?

de KI0SK

hamTDIguy

TDI
JETTA, 2005.5, White
dieselrox said:

Noticed that you've got the Icom V8000 -- that's the radio I'm planning on buying. What do you think of it?

73's de WB4EZM
The V8000 is pretty good for a 2M 75 watt rig in the AUDI. I have another V8000 for 2M duties in the shack. I have no complaints for the price.

Good deal on the 'power source'. Still, make sure you fuse the HAM radio separately from that source just to be safe.

Oh, and make sure you put the right lead on the right power source. Neg to positive and positive to neg results in blown fuses when you power up the radio, if you are lucky (oopss and I've done that twice. So much for the extra class ticket, eh?);) Of course a properly lighted enviornment would have helped in preventing that stupidity.

Last edited:

nnjtdi

TDI
06 Jetta
I just went to Radio Shack and purchased a cigarette lighter adaptor and plugged it into the power plug in the trunk. My rig is an ICOM IC-208H 50 watts . Unit has been is service for over a year, no problems.

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
golden_eagle said:
What are your plans for an antenna?

de KI0SK
Strictly magmount - I will drill no holes in my beautiful TDI!! Picked up an MFJ 1729 "Power*Gain" dual-band magmount whip. Works like a charm.

I ended up purchasing a Yaesu rig, a dual-bander, the FT-7800R, along with the separation kit so the front panel could be removed. The main unit is mounted in the trunk, the front panel on the center console, just below the shifter. I'll post some pictures soon.

73's and thanks to all for the advice, de WB4EZM.

Strider

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Personally, I would avoid magmounts. Invariably they will mar your beautiful paint job. :eek: No matter what happens, you'll wind up with grit between the magnet and the paint, or even if that doesn't happen the paint under the magnet will age differently than the paint on the rest of the vehicle.

My plans are to use a small trunk-lip mount, at least at first, then maybe drill a hole for an NMO mount antenna in the same location as where VW sticks the bumblebee stinger antennas on some of the MKV Jettas and/or the sharkfin antenna for satellite radio. If I ever sell the car, I'll either leave it in place as a dummy, or else just put in a rubber plug or similar.

dieselrox said:
Strictly magmount - I will drill no holes in my beautiful TDI!! Picked up an MFJ 1729 "Power*Gain" dual-band magmount whip. Works like a charm.

I ended up purchasing a Yaesu rig, a dual-bander, the FT-7800R, along with the separation kit so the front panel could be removed. The main unit is mounted in the trunk, the front panel on the center console, just below the shifter. I'll post some pictures soon.

73's and thanks to all for the advice, de WB4EZM.

golden_eagle

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Strider said:
My plans are to use a small trunk-lip mount, at least at first, then maybe drill a hole for an NMO mount antenna in the same location as where VW sticks the bumblebee stinger antennas on some of the MKV Jettas and/or the sharkfin antenna for satellite radio. If I ever sell the car, I'll either leave it in place as a dummy, or else just put in a rubber plug or similar.
My Jetta is a 2006.5 with the sat radio sharkfin. Since that location is already used, I was thinking of an NMO mount just above the center console. Then routing the coax to the trunk via one of the rear pillars. Hopefully there is way to do that without disturbing the airbags.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Under the dash in my '04 Jetta Wagen, there was a heavy 6g-ish wire from the battery. I tapped that with a ring terminal to a 25A fuse, and then ran 10g to the trunk. I ripped out the first aid kit thing (no kit, just the plastic bit), and put the radio guts there. I drilled a hole there for ground. I've found less voltage drop doing that--prior car did 10g both wires to battery, and in this car, I recall less voltage drop with just 1 wire (even though it's longer). I also put in a 20A Radioshack noise filter, not sure if it's needed or not.

There was a drain plug in there too, so I cut a small hole into that, and dropped the coax down. Then it runs up the outside of the hatch (had to notch the taillight a bit), up to a roof rack mounted groundplaneless antenna.

DaveinVisalia

TDI
2001 Golf & 2003 Golf TDI's
Ham Radio

I got theb yaesu as well, and mounted it in the cubby hole between the radio and the drink holders, using the seperation kit, and put the transciever unit above the cd changer in the rear. It was a very clean set up.

Now I have a 2003, with the larger radio, and am trying to find a place to mount the control head. I am even thinking of going to circuit city to have them put in a HD Radio to replace the VW radio, to give me more room. The new radio also has an input for my XM Satellite radio-
Where did you mount your control head?

I have the MFJ mag mount as well, and it works well.

DaveinVisalia

TDI
2001 Golf & 2003 Golf TDI's
Radio Mount

Supton-

Waht did you use to mount the control head bracket under the dash? I was thinking a piece of metal mounting tape, bent to the appropriate angle?

GregoryB

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Grey, Package2, DSG, VAG-COM
dieselrox said:
I'm going to install a VHF ham radio in my 2006.5 Jetta TDI,

Thanks!
Just be cognizant; my 2006 manual says not to use a transmitter over 10watts. >10watts = dealer voiding warranty for some electronics issues?

2000golftdijack

TDI
2000golf
dieselrox said:
I'm going to install a VHF ham radio in my 2006.5 Jetta TDI, and either need a source of 12v power in the cabin that can supply at least 15 amps (more would be better, 20A would provide ample cushion), or I need a route to the engine compartment to tap into the battery. Obviously, it would be easiest to find something in the cabin (switched or unswitched is OK). Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks!
I run a 300 watt cb and found empty (constant 12v, what I wanted) in the in cabin fuse panel. Middle row of existing fuses, left side empty slot, On my 2006 TDI SE, used spade terminal. No Problems.

e-mail me if you need specific fuse hole #,

Jack

Strider

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
GregoryB said:
Just be cognizant; my 2006 manual says not to use a transmitter over 10watts. >10watts = dealer voiding warranty for some electronics issues?
The Bentley manual reads otherwise, depending on frequency and antenna location. For VHF, VW permits up to 50W when the antenna is located in the front center of the roof, rear center of the roof, or center of the trunk lid.

100W PEP on shortwave is permitted in the same locations, plus the center of the rear bumper.

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
dieselrox de tdi73

It would be nice to see a pic of the control head of ft-7800 in MKV, I am still not sure where to mount it..... btw, the main unit is in the trunk, plugged into the power plug without problems so far....
tnx 73 tdi73 kn

Last edited: