12v power outlets always hot

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
both my 12v outlets are always on. While this is great for my gps, it isn't so good for my camera which depends on a switched outlet for proper operation.

Not finding a lot on here except for the few who say its sometimes switched and sometimes always hot.

Just wondering if there is a vagcom procedure to change or if maybe there is a relay that can be switched out to a different one to allow my outlets to be switched off when the key is off.

06 NB BEW platform.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
This isn't a setting... the power for the 12v outlets is simply hooked up to constant power.

If you wanted to take the fusebox apart you could hook them up to switched power.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Too hook up my dash cam in a MkIV Golf, I just found an unused switched terminal in the fuse box on the left side of the dash (accessible with the driver's door open).

I got an inline fuse holder, crimped a flat blade connector on one end, plugged that into the fuse terminal, and used that wire to power a 12V lighter-socket splitter type device. Then I plugged my camera into that. It all tucks neatly behind the dash, above the fuse box.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
both my 12v outlets are always on. While this is great for my gps, it isn't so good for my camera which depends on a switched outlet for proper operation.
On my 03 5 speed the outlet gets power from the load reduction relay which should shut off with the key.
An Automatic gets power from the park-neutral position relay.
Not sure if your 06 is the same.

Try pulling the relay out to see if the outlet goes off.