11mm pump rebuild or not

Rgroves231

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hello friends,

I just picked up a spare ALH engine from an auto. Engine had 290xxx on it and turns over but locks up. Was told it sat for a while. The pump is still fully plumbed on engine. My questions is: Do I throw the pump on my car and try it or rebuild it as it sits before putting it in my car? I get it could probably use a re seal but the pump shows no signs of leaking. Just don't want to crack into a good pump without trying it. And guidance or past experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Why are wanting to upgrade your pump? Is the current one problematic? You will need to get your ECU re-flashed/tuned or you will likely have over fueling problems. Is it tuned already? What are the nozzles size in your current engine?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I'd just change the head seals on it, set iq, and do a good diesel purge on it. It's probably fine.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I filled one with diesel purge that had sat for some time and was stiff. Rotate and let sit for a couple days. Then rotated until it loosened up, then changed seals. Had no problems with it, still working good.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I picked up an 11mm at the junk yard a few months ago. Seals were replaced and runs like a champ. Everything else on the car is stock except for a taller 5th gear which makes long distance driving a pleasure.