11m IP question

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I just recently pulled a 11m IP form a 2003 alh with 468k on it.

plan to put in in my 2003 wagon alh i just purchased.

was wondering if i should have it rebuilt? or what is the life expectancy on these.

I contacted performance diesel (Giles) in Markham he is asking $1000 to overhaul rebuild or $350 to calibrate and set.

I don't know much about the IP's or any other sources for this kind of work.

Any thoughts or advice.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
There's not much to "calibrate" on these IPs - they are electronically controlled.

If it were mine, especially since it is off the car, I would (very carefully and cleanly) take it apart and inspect all parts, using a new seal kit when I put it back together. Main parts I would be looking at are the overall interior condition for any presence of rust (water) of sludge, and then all of the wear surfaces on the plunger, control collar, cam plate&rollers, advance piston, and transfer pump gears. If they're all good, I would run the pump.

Did you have the option to listen to the pump running before removal?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would have it rebuilt. They most certainly are calibrated, there is a specific (and frightfully expensive) machine that Bosch uses to do this. That is what the adjustment slots are for. It is amazing how much better they run too. Any more, even if they are not yet leaking, they will have worn internals. Usually the suction pump is weak no matter what, and the cam plate and in some cases even the shaft has bad wear patterns on them.

We send ours to DFIS, they do great work. I just got two back from them last month, which makes #7 and #8 for the year so far.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
having a hard time justifying to rebuild the IP at a price that is more than 1/3 of what i paid for the car.

IP cost me $50.

I was a little curious on what there was to "calibrate" on these. unaware there were set points of any that requires adjustments.

where would you find a seal kit.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I would have it rebuilt. They most certainly are calibrated, there is a specific (and frightfully expensive) machine that Bosch uses to do this. That is what the adjustment slots are for. It is amazing how much better they run too. Any more, even if they are not yet leaking, they will have worn internals. Usually the suction pump is weak no matter what, and the cam plate and in some cases even the shaft has bad wear patterns on them.

We send ours to DFIS, they do great work. I just got two back from them last month, which makes #7 and #8 for the year so far.

unfortunately Im in canada, who/where is DFIS and the cost

oilhammer

TDI
You can read all about Bosch electronic VE type pumps on the 'net (just google it, lots of info out there, even videos). You can SEE the adjustment slots in the top part of the pump. Lots of people will mask worn pump problems by the on-car "hammer mod" adjustment to get a little more or less stroke out of one, in addition to the IQ tweaking via adaptations in the ECU.

VCDS gives a nice feature to cloud the plot points on the start of injection graph, worn pumps tend to wander a bit, as well as contribute to ECU's smooth idle compensation being pushed out further than normal. A healthy running ALH will have SI numbers less than 1.00 +/-, really well running ones will have them .75 +/- with virtually no plot point clouding at warm idle.

But if it is a cheap car, and you are determined to keep it that way, just bolt it on and run it as is. Your car.

My 515k mile ALH got a properly rebuilt 11mm pump, and it runs absolutely perfect. Instant starts, hot or cold, no smoke, idles smooth, and 50+ MPG with good power. I love it. :)

oilhammer

TDI
Depends on what all it needs. Usually a "standard" rebuild is in the $700 range, which includes all the seals and gaskets and maybe the check valve and suction pump, but would mean your major bits are still in good order. It of course is all cleaned up and looks as good as new.

An actual NEW pump from Volkswagen is double that.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I contacted Mark from DFIS

very nice guy. he said the same thing..pending on the current condition it would be $695 on the low end and $995 on the high end of things. this being in USD and the fact i would have to ship it there from canada makes it more expensive.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have 700k on my 11mm pump. Its in its 3rd car. No issues, still idles smooth, no jumping around on the timing graph, and starts right up every time. The only thing I have done to it is change the head seal as it developed a leak from using B20 back in the day. I suggest changing the head seal at a minimum. Complete seal kit is not much either. I got mine from Dieselgeek:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/TDI_injection_pump_reseal_parts_s/1827.htm

Shipping is a very reasonable $5.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
They most certainly are calibrated, there is a specific (and frightfully expensive) machine that Bosch uses to do this.

OP: pretty sure Giles in Markham Ontario has that machine... he certainly did at one point. www.performancediesel.ca

Canadian business, Canadian dollars, Canadian shipping fees. :D

(not affiliated in any way, BTW, just a fellow Canadian and happy repeat customer)

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Depends on what all it needs. Usually a "standard" rebuild is in the $700 range, which includes all the seals and gaskets and maybe the check valve and suction pump, but would mean your major bits are still in good order. It of course is all cleaned up and looks as good as new.
An actual NEW pump from Volkswagen is double that.
Old numbers Brian, generally it's $995 for most pumps these days... :-/

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I would check the relief valve (case pressure) to make sure it's not coming apart, replace the seals and call it a day.

oilhammer

TDI
Old numbers Brian, generally it's $995 for most pumps these days... :-/

I just got two back within the last month, the total for both was around $1400 with shipping. Standard rebuilds, one 11mm on my Golf, one 10mm for my Beetle. Both were in decent order, just leaking. Both had over 1/4 million miles of use on them.