'11 TDI - DSG Limp mode today.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
So odd issue today in the '11 SW TDI - strangely enough happened within 6-7 miles of picking it up from its annual service. Not a DSG fluid interval so this visit was just oil change, fuel filter and brake fluid exchange.

I was not in the car (was following behind) so I am only relaying what the other half told me happened. Went to pass on a two lane road (45 MPH speed limit) and DSG kicked down to 3rd and stuck there, then a wrench icon showed up in MFI (no CEL). Apparently upon slowing and coming to stop it did drop all the way back down to 1st then got stuck there. Pulled into a Target parking lot (I passed on by assuming it was a quick errand stop) as driving the remaining 2 miles home in 1st gear was not going to happen. Was able to get it to shift to 2nd but only once 1st wound out to redline. Other half shut car off for 5 minutes, restarted it and apparently everything went back to normal and it was fine the last couple miles home.

Now this makes me very nervous as the DSG is not covered under dieselgate so this is all on us should there be some sort of problem. Upon some searching it seems there were common mechatronics unit problems until '09 that had VWAG extend warranties on some boxes but doesn't seem too many common issues past that. The DSG fluid was changed before purchase ~48k miles (or at least VW dealer says they changed it) and we are only ~69k miles so still have another 11k or so before next fluid interval.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well the first thing is to see what code it threw. Other than that. I could say your torque tube is failing. (it's not)

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I think you should return to the mechanic who just finished working on it and politely ask if he might have any ideas what could have happened.