'11 JSW 6MT 120K miles. Time for a tune/delete?

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Just got a new intake courtesy of VW warranty (P2015 code).

I plan to do the dieselgeek fix to avoid future P2015 issues.

I am also considering a tune/possible delete as I think I am about out of warranty.

Everytime I try to read the warranty definition, I just get a headache!

Can someone tell me if I am? I have owned it for a little over a year and a half. The CEL was the first issue I have had. Been an awesome car.

Any recommendations welcome. Will be doing TB/WP also soon. Anything else I should do at that time?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
. Just after purchase I used the $50 deductible portion of warranty to get a faulty rns315 replaced and the 0 deductible emmions portion fully covered the A/C RCV along with a glow plug. After dealing with all the loose ends and feeling good about the cars condition I did a Karma non delete.

I've owned a 6m 2011 CPO also. I went thru the same "should I tune" thing. Since my car had basically all new DPF & EGR components I decided to "preserve" them. I 1st did the Polar FIS to monitor the PDF mostly..The tune seems to have dramatically reduced the soot output. The.active regenerations are minimal and quick. One and a half years now its been great.

Would I risk the possibility of loosing my warranty again? Yes, under the right conditions like stated above. Did rather preserve expensive parts/repairs. By the time the the ****ty "dieselgate" retune reinjured the good parts VW replaces, id be out of warranty anyway. Your smart to have done the dieselgeek fix after a new manifold.

Preserve the car with a quality tune IMO

Christopera

TDI
Looking...
I'm like two months from my warranty expiring. I will almost certainly do the Kerma tune. Like Jello, I will keep the DPF and EGR because they were replaced under warranty 3 months into my ownership of the car. So they should be in good shape. Once they go, it will likely be a delete from there. Though I'm not trying to build a race car, so if affordable emissions replacements exist, then I could go that route.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I went with Karma over Malone because my searches suggested thier non delete tunes where cleaner. Soot reduction was my main goal. I wish they did deletes but I get it as U.S. companies are under EPA watch...

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
I got my 2010 JSW 6mt at 148k miles, DPF replaced at around 154k and have had no other running issues since. I am probably going to do a Kerma tune as soon as my warranty is done (197k when that expires, at 194k), I have no reason to consider doing the intake fix as I have not seen an issue and pull a small enclosed trailer every now and then to get the EGT up enough to really burn out any soot.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I got my 2010 JSW 6mt at 148k miles, DPF replaced at around 154k and have had no other running issues since. I am probably going to do a Kerma tune as soon as my warranty is done (197k when that expires, at 194k), I have no reason to consider doing the intake fix as I have not seen an issue and pull a small enclosed trailer every now and then to get the EGT up enough to really burn out any soot.
The emission coverage is by mileage or in service date (10 years from). you probably are over the 10 year mark?

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Haven't had any dpf issues yet, but I do make it a regular habit to see 4K during onramp 3rd gear pulls or other long uphill stretches. Haven't pulled a trailer yet, although I do have a hitch to put on and a utility trailer. So I will be doing some trailer pulls for just the reason I see mentioned above.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
I'm like two months from my warranty expiring. I will almost certainly do the Kerma tune. Like Jello, I will keep the DPF and EGR because they were replaced under warranty 3 months into my ownership of the car. So they should be in good shape. Once they go, it will likely be a delete from there. Though I'm not trying to build a race car, so if affordable emissions replacements exist, then I could go that route.
One thing I learned about Kerma that you may not know.... once tuned, you have to keep all of your emissions hardware in place. If you want to delete it all someday, you'll need a new tune to cooperate with that system.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
One thing I learned about Kerma that you may not know.... once tuned, you have to keep all of your emissions hardware in place. If you want to delete it all someday, you'll need a new tune to cooperate with that system.
That's true and that may or may not be an issue, depending on your smog laws and/or direction. I can only speak for my direction.

Kerma = non delete OR O.E. tune
My Pros:
*Can switch back and forth between tunes with your supplied tuner box
*Preserving expensive emmisions components and running squeaky "green"
*preserving car value
*extended engine life
My cons:
*possible" lost portion of warenty coverage (emmisions portion /3 more months)
*no delete tune avaliible, curtisy of U.S, EPA

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I case of questions on actual findings here is a freeway reading.
*soot m gr = actual soot load presently in the DPF
* !soot m gr = what VW program thinks its average status load should be @
*regen is @ 6.0 (@ 7.0 it active regenerates)
*DPF mi = how many since last active regen

In a nut shell, the freeway 6th gear 65 to 70mph run passively burnt of all soot

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
Just got a new intake courtesy of VW warranty (P2015 code).

I plan to do the dieselgeek fix to avoid future P2015 issues.

I am also considering a tune/possible delete as I think I am about out of warranty.

Everytime I try to read the warranty definition, I just get a headache!

Can someone tell me if I am? I have owned it for a little over a year and a half. The CEL was the first issue I have had. Been an awesome car.

Any recommendations welcome. Will be doing TB/WP also soon. Anything else I should do at that time?
Pete, I'm in the same boat as you. Our 2013 wagon had the fix at 70k miles, and now I've got 105k. Just had a new DPF and intake manifold done in the last 2k. I'm about to pull the trigger on Kerma, but hoping for someone's input on the effect of a tune on a stock turbo that's this old. Namely, am I adding risk of the turbo failing? It would totally suck to spend $$ on a tune and then have to spend $$$ on a turbo.
Also, hi to a fellow Connecticutian

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have been running the Kerma tune now for about three weeks and have nothing but good to say about it. Long winded DPF regens are gone, fuel economy is up 4-5 MPG, car performs better in every gear.

In terms of EGT and DPF temps, everything runs cooler according to the scan gauge.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Pete, I'm in the same boat as you. Our 2013 wagon had the fix at 70k miles, and now I've got 105k. Just had a new DPF and intake manifold done in the last 2k. I'm about to pull the trigger on Kerma, but hoping for someone's input on the effect of a tune on a stock turbo that's this old. Namely, am I adding risk of the turbo failing? It would totally suck to spend $$ on a tune and then have to spend $$$ on a turbo.
Also, hi to a fellow Connecticutian
SS, hi. Looks like the Kerma non-delete may be the way to go. Are you doing it soon? If you do, would like to see how it does.

Maybe a little Kerma v stock drag race!!!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have about 14k I think on my non delete stage 2 malone tune. Other than a random trans low-pressure (dsg tune as well) code I get. Not a whiff of a problem. 106k on my mk6 sportwagen now.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I'm about to pull the trigger on Kerma, but hoping for someone's input on the effect of a tune on a stock turbo that's this old. Namely, am I adding risk of the turbo failing? It would totally suck to spend $$ on a tune and then have to spend $$$ on a turbo.
Getting a tune will improve the lifespan of your turbo, specifically because of the reduced number of regens which are hard on the turbo.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been running the Kerma tune now for about three weeks and have nothing but good to say about it. Long winded DPF regens are gone, fuel economy is up 4-5 MPG, car performs better in every gear.

In terms of EGT and DPF temps, everything runs cooler according to the scan gauge.
My exact findings. Mixed driving went from pre tune 34.5 mpg to post tune 38 mpg (dash lie o meter). Very little long freeway so??? How many miles between active regens?

I have about 14k I think on my non delete stage 2 malone tune. Other than a random trans low-pressure (dsg tune as well) code I get. Not a whiff of a problem. 106k on my mk6 sportwagen now.
How would you compare your findings to our Kerma?

Getting a tune will improve the lifespan of your turbo, specifically because of the reduced number of regens which are hard on the turbo.
The EGT temps, thus oil temp., have been reduced especially @ idle. That in itself has to help turbo. Any one know if the EGR% is dialed back on either tune?

NEW CHALLENGE:
Anyone with a Polar FIS
Run a 0-60 time and note stock, Kerma or Malone? DSG or 6m? eey haw

my 2011 6m
9.009 2xs consistant

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
400 miles between active regens with Kerma.
Have you found the inbetween lengths increasing? Or have your cycles been consistently the same?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
. Just after purchase I used the $50 deductible portion of warranty to get a faulty rns315 replaced and the 0 deductible emmions portion fully covered the A/C RCV along with a glow plug. After dealing with all the loose ends and feeling good about the cars condition I did a Karma non delete.

I've owned a 6m 2011 CPO also. I went thru the same "should I tune" thing. Since my car had basically all new DPF & EGR components I decided to "preserve" them. I 1st did the Polar FIS to monitor the PDF mostly..The tune seems to have dramatically reduced the soot output. The.active regenerations are minimal and quick. One and a half years now its been great.

Would I risk the possibility of loosing my warranty again? Yes, under the right conditions like stated above. Did rather preserve expensive parts/repairs. By the time the the ****ty "dieselgate" retune reinjured the good parts VW replaces, id be out of warranty anyway. Your smart to have done the dieselgeek fix after a new manifold.

Preserve the car with a quality tune IMO
Ive had my 2011JSW at the dealer 3 times for major repairs AFTER I had my Kerma tunes installed and they didn't have any concern over them. It hasn't effected any response on their part🙂

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive had my 2011JSW at the dealer 3 times for major repairs AFTER I had my Kerma tunes installed and they didn't have any concern over them. It hasn't effected any response on their part🙂
That dealer is a keeper!
Do you smog in Oregon? How has that gone. My Kerma tune is about to be tested.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
That dealer is a keeper!
Do you smog in Oregon? How has that gone. My Kerma tune is about to be tested.
Ca. smog tested... (y)

100% NO issue... PASSED!

F U, Ca. Govenor ****** Von Nusome!