10k miles: Code: "P040D: Signal too high"

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I've been searching, this sounds familiar but I can't find anything.

VCDS says: EGR Temperature Sensor 1,
P040D 00: Signal too High.

Dealer has the car, they are looking for a cause before replacing the sensor. Put me in a 2014 Jetta gasser...(oh my, what a slug)

Is this sensor an easy one to replace? Any thoughts why they just wouldn't replace it and see if the fault returns?

Thanks.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dealer tech is still "running diagnostics", trying to find a cause for the "Signal too High" code. He kept the car overnight.

So, no thoughts as to the cause, other than a faulty sensor/harness? Is the EGR temp sensor #1 difficult to change?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Step one is to monitor the EGR temperature sensor for any really erroneous or abnormal readings (too hot, for example) in various driving conditions. Try and narrow it down to a sensor problem or a bigger problem.

In order to save on tech labor, VW's usual approach would be to replace the sensor and see if the code comes back. If it does, diagnose the system from there.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Damn. Sensor was replaced this morning, ran more tests, code cam back, according to the tech. All wiring/harnesses check out okay.
Computer tells tech to replace ECM. Phoned VW Techline for approval. They claim they've not seen this fault on the CKRA, so they have no known fix. Techline asked the tech to re-check the harness.
Dealer keeps the car all weekend. We get a 2014 gasser Jetta...to call it a slug would be an insult to the slug.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I suppose proper troubleshooting would require knowing what the EGR temps are supposed to be in the first place. VW Tech Line should be able to provide that info, but who knows.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tech has been advised by VW Techline to replaced the "harness". I'm not sure how extensive that is, but I'll be tit's a lot cheaper than an ECM. Part was ordered.
Hope to have it installed by tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon. We're scheduled for a 600mile trip starting Thursday, I sure hope they get it all back together properly.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We get a 2014 gasser Jetta...to call it a slug would be an insult to the slug.
Yep, but that slug is still going, with no MIL on, and no EGR temp sensor (or any EGR anything, for that matter) to break.

Sometimes slow 'n steady wins the race. :p

Anyways, keep us posted about your car. Seems a little too new to have a harness problem, but you never know.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
(Just took the slug out for a 120 r/t. YIKES! Off the line, it's...well...okay, but passing power? Completely non-existent. I'd almost call it dangerous getting on/off a highway, at least at TX speeds. Oh...37mpg constant cruise, according to the MFI)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Turns out it wasn't a sensor, but a particular wire that was crimped/damaged during production. VW Techline told them to splice in a new wire, dealer insisted that VW Techline pay to replace the entire '60pin ECM engine wiring harness".
I now have a new EGR1 sensor, and a new engine wiring harness.

If anyone wants the detailed analysis from the tech, I can post it.

AutobahnVW of Ft. Worth gave me a 5-day rental for free. Also washed/vacuumed the car. The shop foreman seemed reasonably informed when I asked him about turbo issues, lubricity in fuel, etc. etc. So far, so good!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sounds like you have found a reasonable dealer. :cool:

nozel

TDI
2006 Jetta Gas, replaced by 2009 Sportwagen, replaced by 2013 Golf Sportwagen TDI
P040D and P0486

Gents
My dad asked me to VCDS the check engine icon from his 2011 TDI Golf today.
Did a logging run and noted 100% duty cycle of the EGR system which caused me to scratch head. My own TDI Golf wagon only showed a 50% duty cycle which was fluctuating 45~55%.
Definitely a problem but the car ran fine.
We had a look under the hood, found dried flowers my mom had bundled to dry, in an unexpected nest around the HP EGR pipe...looking closer, the main engine harness was compromised in the same area.
We found twisted pair data bus wires chewed through! Might be an engine harness removal to repair properly.

P040D EGR temp high showed coolant temp -45* C and oil temp -276*C
p0486 0.0v and 00000000 data bits.
This makes sense when we found open circuit data bus wires...

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Sounds like you have found a reasonable dealer. :cool:
Seriously, sounds like they actually 1) fixed the problem, 2) fixed it in the preferred way and 3) took care of you along the way.

Normal dealerships aren't much different, minus 1-3.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
(Edited)

P040D EGR temp high showed coolant temp -45* C and oil temp -276*C
p0486 0.0v and 00000000 data bits.
This makes sense when we found open circuit data bus wires...
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but this error you are describing is convincing evidence to me that the CJAA has an oil temperature sensor, something I thought the CKRA doesn't have.

Does the CJAA really have an oil temp sensor that the ECU uses to keep an eye on its oil temperature? If it does, I think it is strange that VW would remove that seemingly highly important sensor/parameter from the CKRA's design. Does the CKRA truly lack any method of monitoring oil temperature?

Oilhammer?:)

Thanks!

TurboDieselPoint