-10F Nooooo Problem!

Tsquare86

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I doubt my excitement is shared that much by everyone else but listening to the GSW start this morning @-10F like it was 70F outside was mind blowing. This is my first winter after having sold the ALH which was a rumbling ***** in the cold even with brand new glow plugs.

Wooohooo to not needing to drive my gas truck and my car starting easier than my wife's Cobalt.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Its a satisfying feeling knowing that these cars will fire right up at those temps. Back when I had my ALH, during the winter I had my jump pack plugged into the trunk so it was always with me, charged, and ready to go. Its now collecting dust in the basement because I haven't needed it once in the last 3 years.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
The lowest I've started mine after setting out overnight was -27C, which is something different in F. It started fine and really was running fine within 30 seconds or so. I let it idle for about 2 minutes before taking off, which is longer than I think is necessary, but it sounded ready to go at that point. Maybe someone from Montana, Canada, or Fairbanks will chime in with more impressive temps.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Tsquare86 let us know how how she does with -20F you'll be seeing this week.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I noticed the frost heater only gets the engine about 110* when its below 20* outside. Temp gauge initially shows 195 but quickly falls to pegged on low. In the 30* garage i usually get to keep about 160.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I started mine Sunday morning after sitting outside since Friday night. Friday's night low was -28F, high Saturday +5F, low Sunday morning was -8F. I had the same observation, popped right off like nothing. My ALH probably would've required 10 seconds of cranking followed by a rough idle. They made some impressive improvements in the cold weather starting department.

Tsquare86

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
-25F this morning. Started like it was trying to prove to me that nothing can stop this Kraut Wagon. I'll post the video later. #Impressed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
*coolant heater

JDM Mike 02

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 1996 Jetta GLS
-4 (-17 with windchill) this morning, my TDI started right up no problem.. let it idle while I let the dog out. Got about 10 minutes from the house then the glow plug light started flashing, followed by check engine light.. would start back up for a few seconds but would not stay idling

Had to get a ride back to the house to grab my Jeep, need to scan my TDI after work to see what the problem is..

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like a waxed up fuel filter. If you can warm the car up and warm the filter canister with a hairdryer it should run.

Tsquare86

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Repeated this again today at -26F

But... the first attempt failed and I needed to bust out the battery charger for 10 minutes to warm up the battery. Fired right up after that.

C C

TDI
GSW
Sounds like a waxed up fuel filter. If you can warm the car up and warm the filter canister with a hairdryer it should run.
I had a similar experience last winter, filled up near balmy Philly but the anti-gell content proved inadequate in frigid State College. When the darned car only gets 50 mpg, I couldn't burn through fuel fast enough to use up that remaining tank of summer blend.

A heat wave is forecast for this weekend, Mother Nature will solve it.

JDM Mike 02

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 1996 Jetta GLS
You were correct, towed it home and put it in the garage. Added some diesel 911 to the tank and fuel filter housing.. see if she'll start when I get home. Its -4 outside but 45 in the garage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
add some lubrication additive ASAP to dilute that D911

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I've had 3 cold starts after sitting outside all night with no problems. It was around -10 to -16 °F