106K on my '13 JSW, what to replace?

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Since I'm about to schedule a TB/water pump/serpentine belt service, and I believe in preemptive maintenance, I would welcome your suggestions as to what I should replace even though it ain't broke yet, preferably based on your hard knock experience w/ failure(s) in this ballpark mileage range. (Oh yeah, I ain't sellin anytime soon- this car is a keeper, I hope)

For example, should I have new glow plugs installed? What else is likely to fail soon that may leave me stranded...the alternator, starter?

(All recently changed: brake fluid, gear oil, rotors and pads, battery, rear coil springs both snapped and were replaced under warranty. The shocks are original.
My driving style is old man milquetoast. For example on a recent 820 trip, I set the cruise to 62mph and only exceeded that briefly when I had to get to a rest stop to pee.)

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions/wisdom you may offer.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
TB not due for another 24000mi. Not sure what is recommended on the glow plugs. 300,000mi on my old 2003 and going strong.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
new shocks. suspension bushings as needed.
sunroof drain tubes, if you have one.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
While your Tb isn't at it's miles yet, I'd still have it replaced. Its130k or 7 years I believe. And these cars sat through diesel gate... Rotors and pads if original. Coolant. Check all suspension bushings. Maybe rear springs if yours are sagging. Test the battery. Cabin air filter, engine air and fuel filter. While giving my car a close look I noticed a rear control arm bushing not looking great. Not bad, just a bit worse off. I wouldn't worry about struts or shocks unless leaking.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
You will need a thermostat within a year or two if not already replaced. No harm in waiting until it opens early though and the main sinergy with the timing belt is draining the coolant.
Brake/clutch flush if not already done regularly.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
You will need a thermostat within a year or two if not already replaced. No harm in waiting until it opens early though and the main sinergy with the timing belt is draining the coolant.
Brake/clutch flush if not already done regularly.
I never realized how the tstat fails on these. It's a project. A good idea is to do the aluminum cooling system upgrade. It replaced all the problematic plastic cooling parts with aluminum. And a replaceable tstat and not the whole housing.

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Great suggestions!
I hadn't considered changing the T-stat or inspecting the condition of the suspension/rear control arm bushings. (No sunroof drains to consider)
I'm also unaware of exactly what cooling system plastic parts will require replacement, but I'll trust the guru/mechanics' judgment.
Even though I'm 24,000 miles short of the recommended mileage change interval, I'm beyond the 7 year time interval, so I'll definitely have the TB changed.

I have P06c6 code referencing a problem w/ glow plug 2, however that's been ongoing all last winter and it starts fine. Am I doing harm by delaying replacement of that GP?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I never realized how the tstat fails on these. It's a project. A good idea is to do the aluminum cooling system upgrade. It replaced all the problematic plastic cooling parts with aluminum. And a replaceable tstat and not the whole housing.
Is there a complete list of part numbers for this?
I was going to upgrade to a koyorad or darkside aluminum radiator when I did my timing, but why not go the full monty.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Is there a complete list of part numbers for this?
I was going to upgrade to a koyorad or darkside aluminum radiator when I did my timing, but why not go the full monty.
The rad on these is more than enough. Even with stage 4. It's the intercooler that lacks. I'll see if I can find the kit. I can't seem to find the kit anymore. It was on ecs before

Last edited:

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
I bought my 2011 JSW in 2020 with 69k miles. So far I've replaced the following:

• Timing Belt/Water Pump/Pulleys/Serp Belt(Preventive; mechanic said the belt looked fine and only one pulley had a very small spot that was dragging)
  • Aux Fuel Pump(Preventive)
  • Thermostat(Preventive)
  • Flywheel(Started to chatter on cold start up at around 70k miles so I just replaced it)
  • All 4 Coil Springs(Preventive but one in rear was broke and didn't know it)
  • All 4 struts(Preventive but rides way better with Koni Active's versus the OEM struts)
  • Both Lower Control Arms(Bushings wore out on passenger side)
  • Ball Joints(Preventive while replacing control arms)
  • Rear Brake Caliper(Piston wouldn't turn when I did pads/rotors/fluid change)
  • Radio(It had the unit that was known to go bad)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have a 2010 Golf TDI with 189,000 miles. I simply follow the recommended service schedule and replace things if needed/broken, e.g., a new DPF, a glow plug, and a new intake manifold that were all replaced under the extended warranty. I also paid for new Bilstein shocks all around when 1 was leaking. Of course I also did the timing belt and water pump at around the recommended interval and all of the other regular maintenance for filters and fluids were done as recommended.

The only preemptive change I made was a switch to a CP3 HPFP, because of the potential catastrophic damage caused by a CP4 HPFP failure. I made the decision about replacing the HPFP before the dieselgate settlement, but I think it could still make sense even though the CP4 is covered in the extended warranty. The failure is just too ugly, with the potential for metal contamination throughout the fuel system.