1000 Mile Update

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
34 k this weekend. No issues other than getting a new seat bottom at around 15k (squeaky) and a new fuel filter canister at around 25k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiteywhip

TDI
1968 572 HEMI ROADRUNNER 2013 PASSAT TDI SEL PREMIUM
only 650 miles and love it......great to see everyone isnt having any real problems :D except wiping the smile off your face

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Literally nothing new to report...
-J
You jinxed it! :eek:

Sunroof drain leak? It's not coming from the door seal...

Going to the dealer on Wednesday morning to have this looked at and the radio update done.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The dealer cleaned the sunroof drain (the tech saw some crud in it). There was no staining on the headliner. To the tech's credit he wanted to try the simple fix before tearing into the headliner. We'll see if that cures it once and for all :)

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Some Chinese garbage clip from Amazon. It works well enough for my iPhone with the giant Otterbox.

By the way the leak returned the last time we had a decent bit of rain. I guess they'll have to rip it all apart to find the source (tube probably disconnected from drain). :(

VeeDubTDI

TDI
A noteworthy milestone from the other day...

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
glad to hear! My sel is at 66,500 and still going strong. No real problems to speak of, had a problem with the rear window going down and not up but was fixed under warranty. Other than that she is cruzing right along. Lifetime average for me is 37.1 with a high of 44.2. Lots of 75+ highway driving in that.
66,500????????

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
compu 85: Was the spilled AdBlue courtesy of Alexandria VW? Shame on them. I continue to be pleased with Stohlman, but in fact, they've not done anything terribly complex yet...only oil changes, AdBlue, mount tires on rims, FE alignment...also put foam shims under the "fender" dash trim...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think the spilled AdBlue was courtesy of Springfield, VW (now Sheehy VW of Springfield) despite a very stern warning from me to be careful. Go figure!

Oh well - it's easy enough to clean up with a damp bath towel. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Car is being ripped apart for wiring modifications.

Adding constant power in the trunk to the new PWM control module that will control the LED tail lights. They will now function like the Chinese Passat except the turn signals will be the main LEDs instead of amber bulbs. The amber bulbs will be repurposed as a second set of reverse lights (4 reverse lights total). The decision to go with the red LEDS for turn signals was for safety and visibility - this is the same as the new A6 and A7 Audis. The bullet lights will only come on with the brakes and turn signals, adding to the contrast between parking lights and stop/turn.

Another wire is being added to for the rear fog light.

Once the tail lights are done, a 30A switched power circuit will be added under the passenger's seat for some radio equipment.

Inside the dash, fuse block undergoing surgery. Jason purchased factory repair wires (at great expense) to do all of the wiring the right way. No vampire taps here!

This is the emission controls wiring bundle.

Factory repair wires.

Aluminum look dash panels are made in USA!

Lots of little clips holding it on.

Wiring in progress.

All opened up.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
compu 85: Was the spilled AdBlue courtesy of Alexandria VW? Shame on them. I continue to be pleased with Stohlman, but in fact, they've not done anything terribly complex yet...only oil changes, AdBlue, mount tires on rims, FE alignment...also put foam shims under the "fender" dash trim...
My apologies to Alexandria VW. Shame on ME! The spilled AdBlue in Compu85's car was courtesy of Springfield VW. My mistake.

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
Just about to hit the 25 000 mile mark (40 000km) and my bigest complaint is the cruise. the buttons are small and the cancel is annoying. Trying to use it with gloves on sucks.

And yes the centre console is too low and droops down. At least in the golf it was adjustable!

Averaging 38.5 mpg (6.1L) with winter fuel and tires.

Other then that, so far so good, I have a rattle in the front and I'm suspecting it might be a ball joint/tie rod end.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
So I just finished tearing the interior apart, installing some wiring, and putting it back together. Some observations:

I can see how they were able to trim cost and production time out of this car compared to the mk4. I'd say there are 3/4 to 1/2 as many screws in the interior in the NMS. The design of clips is simpler (not worse, just less complicated. Most things are attached with a simple metal spring clip). The carpets are a bit thinner, and areas that aren't seen aren't painted. Attachments and design of the rear seat are more simple.

I did some of the disassembly in the cold, and only broke 2 clips which were the fault of me not knowing how to release them, not the design. That no plastic parts broke or cracked while I was working with them speaks volumes to the material quality.

There's fewer trim pieces overall too. Smaller trim pieces are combined into larger single ones. Fewer pieces means fewer chances for rattles... hopefully that holds true!

Doing this has made me like the design of the car even more :)

-Jason

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
So would you say it's less safe then previous generation? I meant if it made from thinner metal and structure looks stronger.

So I just finished tearing the interior apart, installing some wiring, and putting it back together. Some observations:

I can see how they were able to trim cost and production time out of this car compared to the mk4. I'd say there are 3/4 to 1/2 as many screws in the interior in the NMS. The design of clips is simpler (not worse, just less complicated. Most things are attached with a simple metal spring clip). The carpets are a bit thinner, and areas that aren't seen aren't painted. Attachments and design of the rear seat are more simple.

I did some of the disassembly in the cold, and only broke 2 clips which were the fault of me not knowing how to release them, not the design. That no plastic parts broke or cracked while I was working with them speaks volumes to the material quality.

There's fewer trim pieces overall too. Smaller trim pieces are combined into larger single ones. Fewer pieces means fewer chances for rattles... hopefully that holds true!

Doing this has made me like the design of the car even more :)

-Jason

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
It's more safe than the prior generation... I was talking about the trim not the body itself being thinner. The NMS has more high strength steel, plus improved welding, etc. It's much more rigid than the now 15 year old Mk4.

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
We crossed 50,000 miles this month. The horrible Hankooks are gone :D

The car has developed a nasty habit of draining the battery while parked. I hope to look into that more this weekend. I think the battery is also getting a bit weak, even after leaving the car on the charger it cranks slower than when it was new.

For those who were wondering, yes, you can use a Pella on the NMS:

We used only about 2.5 gallons of DEF in the last 10,000 miles!

-J

Last edited:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I use a Pela 6000 on my Passat TDI too! Great handy tool for me.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Did the 60k service yesterday.

Here are some pics from our 60K service...

Nice and clean inside

Fuel filter doing it's job

Air filter doing it's job

Primed the fuel system with the VCDS output test for the fuel system electronics (didn't pre-fill the filter housing). After about 30 seconds all of the air was purged out and it started right up.
One problem has cropped up... the car seems to drain the battery rapidly. I'm thinking it was a bad battery... I'll replace the OE battery on Monday. I imagine the high underhood temps bake it at a faster rate than the older cars.

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
A taste of things to come:

I'll do a full how to on the memory seat retrofit soon - but I have to say it is shockingly easy to install. If you don't care about matching the memory positions to the remotes it's literally plug and play :D

-J