$1000 bolt a VW dealer is wanting to charge me

timeline

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta waggon TDI
I took it in for ball joint replacements. Now they say they also found a stripped bolt in the RT front assembly that they cannot allow the car to be driven for safety reasons. I had to rent a car. Does this sound even possible. The want me to pay 1K per bolt????

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They're not charging you $1K for a bolt. I bet it's the bolt and captive nut that attaches the control arm to the subframe. And yes, the car is unsafe to drive if you don't have the control arm attached. However, there are ways to fix the problem that avoids replacing or modifying the subframe. Of course I'm just guessing on the issue, but it's a common one.

Find an independent shop that will repair it. Diesel Medic in Madison might to it, or might be able to recommend someone, as might Jason's TD Repair in Oregon.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If the $1000 includes a complete new subframe and installation then maybe. I agree with IBW, likely that captive nut broke loose from its tack weld that is inside the subframe itself. The cheap fix is to cut a door or hole to be able to access that nut. Re-Weld the nut to the subframe then weld the door shut.

Here’s what a new one is.

timeline

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta waggon TDI
It seemed to be related ta a plate behind the brake and they said two bolt were involved at 1K each. But thanks guys, I'll Check it out more before the work is done. Medic was busy. I should have contacted him I agree

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I took it in for ball joint replacements. Now they say they also found a stripped bolt in the RT front assembly that they cannot allow the car to be driven for safety reasons. I had to rent a car. Does this sound even possible. The want me to pay 1K per bolt????
Were those bolts part of the ball joint replacement? If not, how/why did they know they were stripped?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
It seemed to be related ta a plate behind the brake and they said two bolt were involved at 1K each. But thanks guys, I'll Check it out more before the work is done. Medic was busy. I should have contacted him I agree
Sounds like it's the steering knuckle. If that needs replacing you are looking at over $200 for the part plus installation.

timeline

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta waggon TDI
I spoke with Brochures VW Janesville and they kindly worked out used replacement parts which was much much cheaper. I'm glad they did because new prices would have been a big drag on my expenses. As Luke the Medic said, "No VW before 2003 is worth a grand per bolt. All good now. I should have gone to Diesel Medic in the first place. My bad.