100,000 miles since oil change. Dont be like me.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Woah!, have you considered removing your oil pan and cleaning it?
I'd also maybe reccomend adding new oil and an additive like seafoam or something then changing it again after a 100-200 miles. Then maybe again at 5k before going back to 10k oil change intervals. Keep changing it until all the sludge is gone at least.

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
Thats definitely what i plan on doing. I removed as much sludge as possible and im going to follow your suggestions.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You’re lucky, I knew a lady a few years ago that bought a brand new Chevy van. At 25k miles the engine locked up, she had it towed to the garage and was asked when she changed the oil last. “What oil, all I do is put gas in it” At least yours still runs.

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
You’re lucky, I knew a lady a few years ago that bought a brand new Chevy van. At 25k miles the engine locked up, she had it towed to the garage and was asked when she changed the oil last. “What oil, all I do is put gas in it” At least yours still runs.
Oh i know. Im very very lucky for being so stupid in doing that. I cashed in my luck. So cant risk that stupidity again.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Regular filter changes, might've bailed you out, from the worst, anyway. I buy filters in bulk.

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
Regular filter changes, might've bailed you out, from the worst, anyway. I buy filters in bulk.
Yeah I'm thinking of doing that going forward. Stockpiling overtime as to not end up doing this again. Luckily the car is still running fine and I'm going to take steps to de-sludge it.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Considering how much you are driving, you can certainly get away with long oil change interval.
At this point, it's more important to change the oil filter. Car is still running and doesn't burn oil, impressive!

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I'm shooting for a 35K OCI .... you got me !

Maybe do a Blackstone and see what's up inside .

Hmmm .... well probably too late this go around ....here's to the NEXT 100K oil change ! ;-)

Andrew

PS - FWIW oil at my last 30K oil change interval doesn't remotely look that bad ... maybe things get exponentially bad the higher you go up ? On the other hand , I would think adding 3 to 5 quarts is almost like an oil change without actually changing oil .... admittedly I don't have the tools to cut open the filter .... I would love to see the inside of mine.

100K is definately IMPRESSIVE ... even better that there seemingly was nothing bad that happened because of it! cool!

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
100K is definately IMPRESSIVE ... even better that there seemingly was nothing bad that happened because of it! cool!
We don't know this. 5 liters of consumption in 100K miles isn't great, especially if most of it was near the end of that 100K interval. The engine may suffer any number of wear symptoms as miles accumulate from here.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
100k miles is 10 oil changes. 10 isn't a big number :LOL:

Figure $25 for oil per change (we're talking oil, no filter- filters were changed, that's my understanding here- note that I have the attention span of a...) and you're saving... $250. Was/is there more than $250 in engine wear and or damage? Kind of thinking it would hard for there not to be: I'd think that $250 in wear is likely for just about any engine over the course of 100k miles. So...

I'd have to vote that 100k mile oil change intervals are NOT a value. BUT, good to know that when we get to Mad Max that we can, ahem, go the extra mile!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
at this point I wouldn't worry about any sorta de-sludging efforts or snake oil to dump in there

honestly I probably would just change the oil every 25-50k miles and the filter every 10k
my alh motors don't get drained any more, and I do the filter at 25k

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What car was that on?
I'm guessing your timing belt is also past due.