'10 TDI Intercooler Icing, Is There A Permanent Fix?

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
First let me start off by saying that I am aware there are probably threads that discuss this, but I am at work using their computers and for some reason the search function does not work properly here.

So, I have had a few hard starts before with my TDI and after searching TDI club I found out about the intercooler icing issue. It has been quite a few weeks since it has happened but tonight around 2200 I hopped in the car to head to work and it barely cranked and didn't start. ****. Well, I can't miss work so against my better judgement I kept cranking and it had all the symptoms of an iced intercooler. It felt like a dead battery, sometimes it would crank slowly, sometimes not at all and sometimes it would start, stumble and then die.

After a minute or two of trying to start the car I called work, told them I would be late and was about to go inside to get the keys to my truck. I figured I'd try to start it one more time so I turned the key over and she started right up with no problems at all. I listened for any strange noises but couldn't hear anything. The car seemed to be running perfectly aside from the fact that my trip and clock had been reset like the battery had been pulled.

So, my question is this. Is there are permanent fix for this problem? I plan on heading to my VW dealer tomorrow morning after work to speak to them about what I consider to be a ridiculous problem. I didn't buy the car from them and I have read many horror stories about VW dealers when it comes to the TDI engine so I'd like to have as much knowledge as possible before I speak to anyone. I also plan to have them (or a reputable mechanic near me) do a compression test to see if any damage has been done to the engine.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Based on your description,, "...she started right up with no problems at all..." sounds like a defective battery, and not the dreaded icing issue.

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I would love it if it was a battery issue but I'm not quite sure that is it. The reason I say that is because I experienced many of the symptoms of water in the intercooler based on the "Iced intercooler" thread here. I wrote down the water and ice symptoms the first time it happened and placed that paper in my glovebox just in case I ever needed it.

I also forgot to mention that during one of the cranking attempts the engine was shaking pretty violently before she finally turned over, stumbled and died. When the car finally started I started driving like I normally do (shift at 2K RPM until completely warmed up, according to the temp. gauge) and when she was all the way warm I pulled off into a parking lot, turned the car off, waited about 1 minute and cranked again. The car started with no issues at all, so I don't think it is battery related.

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI

This thread has an interesting discussion of a possible "fix": http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=431560

Aside from this, the only fix know of is to move to someplace where freezing temperatures and humidity are both rare occurrences (like where I live).

Have Fun!

Don
Thank you for the link good sir, I appreciate it. Definitely some interesting information in there, I think I'll try to consult with my local guru to get his opinion but as of now I think a small hole is a little better than a destroyed engine due to hydro-lock.

It also seems like an EGR delete may help with the problem as well. It certainly makes the DPF and EGR delete as well as full straight pipe and Malone stage II tuning a lot more appealing than it already was...

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I have the off road package as well. I have never experienced an icing issue, but I will warn that the heat isn't quick to rise when having the deletes in place. Of course the car never really warmed up quickly anyway, but now I just get used to the shrinkage. This morning, it is around -2 F at the homestead, according to the car, and I drove for about 10 miles, (you know kind of nursing the car around because the engine sounds like it is chewing glass for the first minute or so), before any movement on the temperature gauge.

With today being like the 4th week of ridickulous weather temps in our area, I think I need to bite the bullet an call my local webasto dealer to get some relief.

livewires250

TDI
2010mkv jetta sedan
I have also had the IC TSB installed on my 2010 tdi sedan roughly two years ago, and not a problem since. I just turned over 100K miles and going strong :).