'10 RCD-510 Dead/Upgrade

T4RBoarder

TDI
'15 GSW SEL 6-spd "Diego"
Hey guys,

I have a good friend with a '10 Jetta TDI in which their RCD-510 took a complete dump, as a lot of them do. We are looking to purchase a replacement unit and upgrade for added functionality, if possible. I see many posts about the "AF" models being the best but I want to know if and which models are direct plug and play with the '10 Jettas.

Thanks for the help!

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
there is a member here barryt82 that sells a lot of used radio's. I bought one from him when mine went out. He was very helpful and knowlegeable with answering questions about which radio's are plug and play and which ones have been more reliable than the "AC" ones. I ended up buying a radio with the "AE" model number ending. He had the "AF" ones also but were more $. replaced myself easy.

The hardest part of the instalation was getting my Wierd Al CD out of the old one. Had to buy another set of star wrenches because my set didn't go small enough. screws and pieces and bent up brackets all over the table before I got in far enough to remove CD.

T4RBoarder

TDI
'15 GSW SEL 6-spd "Diego"
Thanks guys, I guess I forgot to hit subscribe cause I didn't realize anyone had responded! I will send barry a message and check out that thread!

Skim

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I also have a dead RCD-510 in my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, and am looking to find out what radios can be used as a direct replacement. It sounds like PMing barryt82 is the recommended path to determine which radios are compatible?

Additionally, my bluetooth module is one of the Settlement replacement modules (that replaced the 9w2's from 2010). Does anyone know if that has an effect on compatibility? The BT module still works, as evidenced by my phone's insistence on trying to pair with it.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
never heard of BT module settlement replacement. But I have never tried to use mine to know if its not working right. Anyone trying to reach me can just wait till I stop, or talk to the wife or daughter while I'm driving. Or whats really fun......let them talk to the grandkid 3 year old. she knows how to answer the phone and call grammie by scrolling thru the pictures.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I still have a couple brand new factory RNS-510's kicking around, along with RNS-315's. Brand new. Fire me a message if interested...

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
RNS-510 Navigation .... version?

Hey Bleached Bora -
Our MY06 Jetta's MFD2 DVD based Navi is getting long in the tooth. Maybe its time to semi-update the navi . . .
As you know, all RNS-510's navigation/radio's are not created equal.

Starting with a RNS-510 version which is compatible with our red colored instrument lighting, which version or versions do you have? Along the way (model years) wasn't there an up-rated hard drive, maybe voice control of several features, HD radio functions, etc.

What do you have?

Thanks, Mike

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
RNS510: "G" version. Not the newest, but it has upgraded firmware that makes it equivalent to version J. 4 left in stock and then I'm out for good.

Supports voice command, sat radio. Has DVD in motion enabled (pop in a DVD and it'll play). Includes 2014 maps. Does not include integrated bluetooth. Does not have SSD, but has a 40 gb HD. Pretty sure it should work fine on a 2005.5, I've had customers with 2008 R32's purchase it...

Alternatively RNS-315 with integrated bluetooth. $665 shipped going through me direct... 13 in stock then they are gone.

-BB

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Thanks BB -
Pardon the neu-bee questions. Are there RNS-510 versions (X,Y,Z or Q as example only) which do not support the red-colored dot matrix MFD screen?

And, your software updated "G" units which mimic equivalent "J" version performance sans the Solid State Drive are how much? $

Thanks - M/S

BleachedBora

TDI