'10 Jetta Sportwagen Fuel Filter?

Xandon

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
First off, I'm a newbie when it comes to TDIs (I'm a Ford tech at a dealership). My wife and I bought one for her to drive last summer and so far we love it! Got from Cincy to VA Beach on a single tank!
At any rate, it has stalled on her 3 times over the last few months. Always under 10mph immediately after starting. She turns it off, waits a few minutes and starts it up and drives away. Based on my research, I was planning on changing the fuel filter and proceeding from there.
My question is, how critical is it to use the VCDS to run the pump after to purge the air? I've read of people doing a filter change without and it's ok. I'm aware that the high pressure pump needs fuel to lubricate itself. Just curious what the consensus was.

Thanks!

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I have done mine both ways, with vcds and just filling up the filter container. In both cases car started on first try and kept running without stalling.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
you may get lucky. probably be fine. shortcuts always save time.

as an automotive tech, you may appreciate this quote from the alldata info

If fuel system components between the fuel tank and high pressure fuel pump were removed or replaced, the fuel system must be filled in order to bleed it. Refer to --> [ Fuel System, Filling ] See: Service and Repair\Procedures\Fuel System, Filling. Avoid running the high pressure fuel pump dry.

there are several folks here who pay no attention to this.

the vast majority of HPFP will remain intact on the original engine as it is recycled at the scrap yard.

I like to use the VCDS. the first thing you probably want to do is run a full scan with the VCDS.

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
as you can see there is no consensus. Just personal opinion based mostly on whether or not someone has easy access to VCDS. everyone knows it should be done with running the pumps to purge the system, but I do not have VCDS so I triple dose the fuel I fill the filter housing with additive for lubrication (opti-lube).

some have made jumpers to hotwire the lift pump. that is another option.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Another option that may or may not work on your particular model is to use a vacuum pump to pull the fuel up into the filter.

I used this method on my MK4 TDI, but I don't know how the '10 model fuel plumbing is laid out.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Swap it and start it, as stated just make sure the cannister is full before buttoning it up.
Crank away and don't worry , I too have done it both ways and never had a problem.
The mk4 method won't work as there are 2 online fuel pumps after the tank pick up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
First off, I'm a newbie when it comes to TDIs (I'm a Ford tech at a dealership). My wife and I bought one for her to drive last summer and so far we love it! Got from Cincy to VA Beach on a single tank!
At any rate, it has stalled on her 3 times over the last few months. Always under 10mph immediately after starting. She turns it off, waits a few minutes and starts it up and drives away. Based on my research, I was planning on changing the fuel filter and proceeding from there.
My question is, how critical is it to use the VCDS to run the pump after to purge the air? I've read of people doing a filter change without and it's ok. I'm aware that the high pressure pump needs fuel to lubricate itself. Just curious what the consensus was.

Thanks!
So no diagnosis from a dealer or independent? You are going to "throw parts at it" to see if that works. First I would suggest getting a scan for stored faults.

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
considering a fuel filter is an important and basic maintenance item, I wouldn't categorize it as `throwing parts at it.`Who knows when the last time it was done, OP didnt mention anything about that but considering he is a tech at a dealership he probably suspects it needs replacement and for like 40$ why not

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
considering a fuel filter is an important and basic maintenance item, I wouldn't categorize it as `throwing parts at it.`Who knows when the last time it was done, OP didnt mention anything about that but considering he is a tech at a dealership he probably suspects it needs replacement and for like 40$ why not
Then he should know better than guessing.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Does the op car have a 6M. If the RPM drop below.IFIRC 800 the ECM shut the engine off.

Xandon

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for all the advice!
I just got this last summer used with no maintenance records, so who knows if it was regularly maintained. So I'm going to put the new filter in now (gotta work Sat, may as well work on my own crap, haha). If problem continues, I'll get it scanned for codes and do full diag on it. But for $35, may as well throw a filter in, it probably needs it.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You should consider a VCDS, the VW has a good set of proprietary parameters.

these will not show up on generic OBD scanners.

Xandon

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks all for the advice! I finally got around to changing the filter and it started right up with no problems. We'll see if it takes care of the stalling problem.
And I am going to save up for a VCDS. We are going to have this car for a good long time and there's nothing more humiliating for a tech than to have to take your own car to a dealer for diag and service. haha