1.9 TDI BXE cutting out when hot... HELP!

TDI
1.9TDI BXE
Hello forum,

I’ve got a problem with my MK5 Golf 1.9 TDI (BXE) – 140,000 miles, which has stumped myself and several mechanics for too long! Hoping that with all the VAG brain power on here we might be able to crack it.

The Fault:

The engine develops a stuttering after 20-30 mins of driving. When this occurs, the car loses nearly all power and will continue to judder if the accelerator is pressed. At this point, if I dip the clutch to disengage the transmission, the engine dies. This happens every time without fail and means I can only use the car for local, sub-10-mile round trips.

Once the engine has stalled, I can start cranking the car and after a few tries and lots of cranking, it fires back up!

Attempted Fixes:

• New injectors
  • New injector wiring loom
  • New tandem pump
  • New fuel temp sensor
  • New In tank fuel pump (lift pump)
  • Cleaned fuel lines
  • New Fuel Filter
  • Fuel pump relay
  • New timing belt & water pump
  • New Thermostat
  • EGR & EGR Cooler Delete
  • New throttle body
  • New MAF, MAP, Cam sensors
  • Full service
  • New Dip-stick tube
To me it seems like a fuel issue with how it cuts out and then takes a long while to crank and start back up. As far as I can tell, I have replaced nearly the entire fuel delivery system on the vehicle so not sure if I’m barking up the wrong tree here.

The car itself isn’t worth much and I have spent £1000s on it so far trying to sort this issue. My feeling is we can’t be far off fixing the issue as there can’t be much left to change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I will certainly look after anyone who is able to help with plenty of beer tokens 😉.

Thanks,

Ben

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Torsion value ok? Probably would run a little negative to help with the hard starting.