1.9 TDI BLS cranks but doesn't start

Radustefan997

TDI
1.9 BLS
Hello!
I have a 2009 Seat Ibiza fitted with a 1.9 TDI, code BLS.
Sometimes, when I turn on the ignition, it starts for a brief second then completely dies. If I try to turn it on again it cranks but won't start. I have to give it a few tries with cranking it for about 30 seconds with the accelerator pedal fully pressed down until it fires up again.
When it finally does, it idles at around 1000 rpm instead of 900-950.
Only error codes I get are from a faulty lambda and a faulty exhaust temperature sensor.
This doesn't always happen. Last week it happened twice out of the 6 times I started the car. Sometimes it's 4 out of 6.
I changed the glowplugs cause 3 of them were burnt and it still happens. Any ideas?

Radustefan997

TDI
1.9 BLS
Fuel delivery issue? Fuel filter checked?
It was new when I posted this.

In the meantime, I discovered that it only happens when the outside temp is less than around 15 degrees celsius. Ever since the summer hit, it only refused to start once, whilw I was at the seaside and the nights got really cold.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi

In the meantime, I discovered that it only happens when the outside temp is less than around 15 degrees celsius. Ever since the summer hit, it only refused to start once, whilw I was at the seaside and the nights got really cold.
Possibly the coolant temp sensor, that can cause a high idle and maybe it's affecting some other setting on that age car. Maybe yours alters the fuel or timing or something in some way.

Marchena

TDI
Skoda Octavia Scout 2.0 TDI BMM, Volvo S40 1.6 D4164T

I would look for a faulty or dirty sensor of some kind, considering the temperature sensitivity of your problem