1.9 R4 8v TDI reliability

Stelios Lkop

TDI
1.9L TDI
Hello. I am new here. Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
I own a mitsubishi Delica/L300 4x4 Turbo diesel. The 4D56 diesel engine which it currently has is quite reliable, but can't take much abuse and the fuel economy is...meh. It has an aluminum head, cast iron block and rubber timing belt. If the belt breaks then the pistons hit the valves. Be ready for expensive repairs. So now im seeking for a new motor not just because of reliablity but because i want some extra power and fuel efficiency (the 4d56 makes about 90HP and gets 12L/100Km ). We've got an old 1.9L passat sitting and im really interested in its engine. I've read that the 1.9L TDI is very reliable and super fuel efficient.
NOTE: I did not post this in the conversions area because i am not asking or showing the steps for converting a car etc. I am just asking about the engine.

What i am worried about the 1.9L TDI is the aluminum head and cast iron block combo. Plus the fact that it has a rubber timing belt. Aluminum head and iron block engines are known to crack heads and blow gaskets. Even if you don't push them hard or overheat them, just the start and stopping cause the metals (head and block) to contract and expand in different rates causing all those problems. The 4D56 engine is notorious for cracking heads if the EGT or the coolant temperature climbs too high. Also what about the valvetrain? If the belt breaks will it cause the pistons to hit the valves? Also what about reliability in general? Can they be pushed hard for long periods of time? Do they have any problems with overheating? Average lifespan?
EDIT: The car is from 2005 and makes 105HP

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Welcome to the TDIclub!

1.9 TDI doesn't tell the whole story on which generation engine from the VW group. There is branch of engines with injection pumps, North America code ALH; and there is another branch with pumpe duse (PD) injectors, North America codes BEW, BRM, BHW. All of those engines are 1.9L and 8 valves.

Then you will find some pumpe duse engines in other parts of the world with diesel particulate filters (DPF).

None of these engines are known to crack heads or blow gaskets, some pump duse will degrade camshafts/lifters.

ALH makes 90HP unmodified. BEW makes 100HP, some other PD engines in other parts of the world make up to 150HP.

...and yes, all of the VW engines I know of are interference engines. Most have timing belts, some timing chains...all of them need chain/belt serviced, as there is no system that lasts forever.

I hope that helps.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
The 1.9 tdi is also a interference engine, you should be fine with the timing belt as long as you maintain it.

there are multiple tdi engines that have surpassed 1 million km, these are very reliable if you take good care of it :)

Stelios Lkop

TDI
1.9L TDI
Welcome to the TDIclub!

1.9 TDI doesn't tell the whole story on which generation engine from the VW group. There is branch of engines with injection pumps, North America code ALH; and there is another branch with pumpe duse (PD) injectors, North America codes BEW, BRM, BHW. All of those engines are 1.9L and 8 valves.

Then you will find some pumpe duse engines in other parts of the world with diesel particulate filters (DPF).

None of these engines are known to crack heads or blow gaskets, some pump duse will degrade camshafts/lifters.

ALH makes 90HP unmodified. BEW makes 100HP, some other PD engines in other parts of the world make up to 150HP.

...and yes, all of the VW engines I know of are interference engines. Most have timing belts, some timing chains...all of them need chain/belt serviced, as there is no system that lasts forever.

I hope that helps.
i improved my question. The car is from 2005 and makes 105HP. By the way i am from Europe.
How reliable your 1.9 has been to you? Have you ever faced any serious issues? Are there any common issue that these engines have?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a BEW (pumpe duse) wagon with 420k km. Other than a couple of timing belts, turbo actuator, and glow plugs. The engine has been fantastic.

Most people say pumpe duse engines eat cams. I used to have a BRM that did destroy a couple of lifters and wear the camshaft lobes, but this BEW has been good.

This engine has had a tune from probably 150k km till now, never on the dyno, but I'm pretty sure it makes similar power to my newer cars 150HP. No issues at all.

105HP in a Passat from 2005 from Europe, you most probably have a PD engine, not sure if with DPF or not, maybe those are later like 2007 or so, but before the jump to common rail engines.

Stelios Lkop

TDI
1.9L TDI
I have a BEW (pumpe duse) wagon with 420k km. Other than a couple of timing belts, turbo actuator, and glow plugs. The engine has been fantastic.

Most people say pumpe duse engines eat cams. I used to have a BRM that did destroy a couple of lifters and wear the camshaft lobes, but this BEW has been good.

This engine has had a tune from probably 150k km till now, never on the dyno, but I'm pretty sure it makes similar power to my newer cars 150HP. No issues at all.

105HP in a Passat from 2005 from Europe, you most probably have a PD engine, not sure if with DPF or not, maybe those are later like 2007 or so, but before the jump to common rail engines.
So the earlier engines were more reliable than the PD ones? About electronics... The fuel pump is mechanical or electronic?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Most people here love their VE engines (with injection pumps), ALH code over here. I never owned a VE car, but I do read that the pump can fail and it is not a cheap part.

Every engine/car has it's quirks, just get knowledgeable and you should be fine. I'm in the process of learning more about CR (common rail) engines, SCR (selective catalytic conversion), and so on in both my 2015 cars.

Some reading:

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
So the earlier engines were more reliable than the PD ones? About electronics... The fuel pump is mechanical or electronic?
on the ve engines (ALH over here) they have a mechanical fuel pump that is powered by the timing belt. these can wear and potentially fail if you dont maintain it. i know multiple alh engines that have held up some serious mileage on the factory fuel pump. just watch for leaks and replace seals when need be