1.9 ASZ to 2.0 BKD.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
No, it is honed to 2.0l and we use an ASZ crankshaft with BKD pistons and rods.
Relatively straight forward process? :) I was hoping if I took a block out to 2 litre, I could still use my ASZ crank, and the Rosten rods, just changing to the BKD (or similar) pistons?

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
I don't know about the Euro conversions as you have access to more stuff however I am in the process of fitting an AZV (same as BKD) complete long block into a MK 4 BEW. The power steering needs to have a bracket and some fabrication to install, the AC needs to have MK 5 ends fabricated and now we are figuring out the wiring. I have a complete MK 5 wiring harness and ECU as well as the original North American MK 4 BEW with ECU 16 that came with the car. So now if we can get it plugged in and remap the ECU we will have fire in the hole. If I was doing this again I would not, I would just plug an ARL PD 150 in and call it a day. :eek:

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I would keep my 8v PD head in my scenario though as I've spent a lot of money getting it breathed on.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
jos, nice graphs ! :D I am jealous.

I would keep my 8v PD head in my scenario though as I've spent a lot of money getting it breathed on.
Erm.. then you cannot use BKD pistons. BKD are 16v, so combustion bowl and valve reliefs are all wrong.
If you want a 81mm piston you need BHW or equivalent, they are 8v. Ryan has them.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Erm.. then you cannot use BKD pistons. BKD are 16v, so combustion bowl and valve reliefs are all wrong.
If you want a 81mm piston you need BHW or equivalent, they are 8v. Ryan has them.
I "hope" I would have realised this before ordering. My head was just thinking 2 litre pistons and not distinguishing between 16v/8v, Very tempted as I have a spare 1.9 ASZ block outside.... Labour aside, the only cost in theory is the rebore and £500 pistons. I already have the rods, the crank, etc..... Hmmmm.

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B7 A4 V6 2.5TDI, MK2 frankentdi 2.0 16V TDI PD
Mine is working now.

2.0 TDI BKD (complete BKD block), ASZ rods, ARL trigger wheel welded on the pulley, BEW crankshaft sensor, lots of adjustments and it's working fine.

The R1287 are maxed and it's crazy!

jos_br

TDI
Audi TT>TDI
Mine is working now.

2.0 TDI BKD (complete BKD block), ASZ rods, ARL trigger wheel welded on the pulley, BEW crankshaft sensor, lots of adjustments and it's working fine.

The R1287 are maxed and it's crazy!

Nice! Do you have a dyno result?

Jos.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
are using the full crank, like arl, or the bkd crank (with half the counter weights)

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
alternator/ps/ac bracket

I started converting my asz to 2.0 16v, but I'm stuck on this A/C P/S bracket
Can anyone explain what needs to be done to the bracket to make this work?
can't use the mk5 bracket -> no powersteering
can't use the mk4 bracket -> no place for the extra timing belt pulley.

did you guys use some other bracket? - part nr.?
:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
ok, no replies.
But i figured out how to solve the problem with the alternator bracket.
Just use upper part of the golf V bracket and lower part of the mk4 bracket. (split between the alternator upper and lower bolts)

I still have one more problem.
The car starts but only revs to 1800 rpm.
I also get implausible signal from injectors.

any ideas what could be causing this?

Camshaft maybe?

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
Could it be an ECU software problem. concerning the BKD injectors??
I see some guys have finished these projects.
How did it run before the retune?

thanks

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
What about us BRM's

As we have BRM's in our 06 jettas, are these the same head bolt pattern as the AZL/ 2.0 16V. Also we have Bosch Injectors. Are the Siemens physically the same, so can we put in our Bosch injectors, or do we need the specific head, mentioned by Ryan, for a 2.0PD 16V with Bosch injectors? If not, can the Siemens head be machined to take Bosch injectors?Is the head for the PD170 the same? This a great thread. I thought this would work well. Great results from Jos_Br. This would be nice slightly detuned for a DSG, maybe with the CR170 turbo set up like the guys are using on the CR140 stage 3.

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
Head bolt pattern is the same.
Don't know about the physical difference between the siemens and bosch injectors.

Last edited:

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
All injectors fit

I found a post by english gentleman MickeyJane from Devon, back in 2010, that the PPD injectors fit in the same head as a Bosch injector, so they are interchangeable. It seems then that any PD 16V head should work. The head bolt pattern must be the same for all 1.9 TDI's, because there seems alot of interchangeability. Therefore it seems to me that I can get any common 16V 2.0 TDI head, put it on my BRM engine, use my PD100, or BEW or PD140 injectors, and run them from my stock ECU, and it should work. I am sure there will need to be some tuning, but that is always the case with some modifications. Time to look on EBay UK for a head, and a CR170 turbo. By the time that is done hopefully Jos-Br will have his DSG undercontrol. That is one impressive video. Thank you OP for this great thread. best regards Stephen

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
wait!!
the 8v PD injectors bolt down differently: 1 bolt with a hold down clamp.
on the 16v there are 2 bolts.
I don't think they are interchangeable.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
Plan B

I guess the simplest thing is get a set of PD140 injectors, and run them with the stock ECU. I presume they work the same. We had PD100's in the same year Europe had PD140's.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I guess the simplest thing is get a set of PD140 injectors, and run them with the stock ECU. I presume they work the same. We had PD100's in the same year Europe had PD140's.
It wont run without a LOT of tuning, trust me, we have done a few of these now, 2 race cars.

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
Ryanp,
Are you saying that 16v (140hp) injectors can't be run on the standard 8v PD ecu (stock)
I am doing this conversion right now. and the car starts, but only revs to 1600-1700 rpm.
I can't figure out why.
Is this one of the symptoms you were having too?

thanks.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
It will run like a bag of spanners on the stock 8v Software for sure.

It took a long time with the OLS300 to get it figured out

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
More parts

Will the PD140 ECU interchange with the stock North American 2006 PD100 BRM in the Jetta? I was under the impression from Jos-Br that he was running his ASZ 8V ECU with a tune, with the 16V head. Could the PD140 map be put in the PD100 ECU?

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
Will the PD140 ECU interchange with the stock North American 2006 PD100 BRM in the Jetta? I was under the impression from Jos-Br that he was running his ASZ 8V ECU with a tune, with the 16V head. Could the PD140 map be put in the PD100 ECU?
Yes, reading through the read, they make it sound like it will run easily.

Ryan,
What exactly needs to be changed in the tune? and can it be done by any good tdi tuner?

thanks

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
Isn't that related to the fact that you don't have anymore 78° between the 2 position sensors but a different value? I guess that it must be a matter of putting the duration maps associated to the injectors but tune SOI maps with the right angle value between cam and crank sensor.
Am I far from the solution Ryan?

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
I don't know and TBH I don't care.

A forum is held to share experience and knowledge. I am not doing this conversion so that was to help trying to understand what the issue could be.
Maybe it helped people but probably not... but argueing that someone knows what has to be done and not saying it is not the best attitude on a forum to me:rolleyes:

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jos_Br did it

After rereading the posts, it looks like Jos_Br used his ASV ECU. So using the stock BRM ECU should be OK. I am sure Malone could make this work, if he has not done so already. Should not be that big a deal. Looking forward to this