1.6TD Starting issues

broke.rabbit

TDI
1.6TD
Recently replaced headgasket(was seeping when I bought the car), glow plugs and fuel filter. Went to start and it just cranks for days. If I do get it to catch its blowing hella light grey smoke and idle super high. I've rechecked pump timing and engine timing multiple times but I feel like missing something stupid as this is my first diesel.

Almost forgot I go have clear hose from filter to IP, and turn. And I've pulled vacuum through lines to make sure there no air pockets.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Which thickness head gasket did you put on it? Tough to get at on the IDIs, but maybe at least check the #3 and 4 glow plugs to make sure they are working.

broke.rabbit

TDI
1.6TD
HG was replaced with a 2 notch like the one removed. Didn't think about checking if glowplugs were getting hot, I did test light them and the fuel shut off to make sure they're getting voltage.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I had that happen on a brand new engine with a Giles pump and matched injectors... should have been perfect. Ended up being a cracked hard line.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914