1.6 idi turbo build? pictures & specs turbo help needed

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
:unsure: Not TDI, but nowhere else as appropriate as this more or less turbo forum? Moderators let me know if I need to put elsewhere...?

I recently picked up up an aftermarket 80's 1.6 N/A diesel, BAE turbo kit. Its needing alot of supporting parts and mainly consist of the 3 items below. Input appreciated on building a complete package and choices of rebuild/repair/replace

1) T04B turbo, 50ish A/R/50ish trim??? 2 halves split & missing ex. to comp. clamp, inlet & outlet flanges missing, NO waste gate design (but do I need a W/G?) CAN this little T04B even produce over 7psi?

It has a funky 1/2 repaired odd 3 bolt ex. to turbo flange (see pic), but I can get adapter for 3 to common 4 bolt t3/t4 flange

3 bolt exhaust bolt to bolt roughly 3" havent been able to find an out pipe. Calloway part?

any numbers I could find

COMPRESSOR TRIM, not sure how to calculate but large portion is roughly 74.56mm and small is 52.51

compressor inlet in inches whoops... 1.72" and bolt to bolt roughly 2.43"

2) BAE alum intake. 2 bolt holes need stress cracks welded, cold tanked

Flange bolt holes stress cracks 1 (below), so minor almost not visable

3) BAE h/d cast iron ex., read they are quit robust design. Needs some bolt extraction work.

the obvious

@ this point I plan to:
1) take turbo heap to local rebuild shop to evaluate rebuild cost vrs. new/rebuilt t3/t4 hybrid(?) or? Are these worth rebuilding vrs. ebay ceramic bearing t3/t4 hybrid?
2) @ this point the intake & exhaust may be worth the machine shop $ to repair/get presentable ??? TBD
3) price out other needed peices to complete system

Time for input from the experts out there! What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
New ebay turbo, and try to clean out as much corrosion/crunk as you can from inside that exhaust manifold if you decide to use it.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Does your IP have the fuel-enrichment parts on it already (dome on top with internal diaphram, connected to boost line) ?

I ask because you may be disappointed in your new turbo if you don't add fueling as well.

Factory oil/coolant heat exchanger is another thing I believe got added to the engine design when they added the turbo... may or may not already be there on your engine.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The BAE is a rare kit by now (Callaway did another for the VW 1.6D) but really a relic of the 80s and superceded by much more advanced turbo systems, even wastegated ones. T04E is gigantic by today's standard and is outflowed, less efficient and far out-spooled than the absolutely tiny but state-of-the-art GTE12 generation of turbos.

Here's maybe some contrarian advice: the rarity and collector status of your BAE kit means it probably commands a nice price tag to some buyer. I'd use the proceeds of that to put together a system with a much more modern turbo and add an intercooler. The leftover money might even buy upgraded injector nozzles that will make for a healthy HP bump to your IDI - installing the turbo and doing nothing to an originally non-turbo fuel system will net you exactly zilch and you may even lose power because of the added restriction in the exhaust. An aftermarket modified injection pump also wakes up the whole engine.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Having turboed my rabbit truck without installing the turbo pump, and it still had a very big bump in power.
The first one I did was with a Mitsubishi turbo from a 4d55t. I used a 1.5D dual outlet exhaust manifold which I adapted to a single flange on the turbo. I was 17 when I did it, so it wasn't the most professional or scientific. I set it for about 7-8psi boost. I also added an intercooler which I had built using the core from a 1.8t beetle and mounting it above the transmission with a hood scoop directing airflow in.
Later on, the adapter I made broke, but I had a ko3 from an ahu which I bolted on. I connected the waste gate line to the intake manifold, which limited it to 10psi boost or so.
I used an alh intake manifold. I guess the ports don't quite match, but it bolts right up and it's what I had.
It worked fairly well, though there's a lot of things that could have been better on it.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Does your IP have the fuel-enrichment parts on it already (dome on top with internal diaphram, connected to boost line) ?
Factory oil/coolant heat exchanger is another thing I believe got added to the engine design when they added the turbo.
Thanks all for the input all.

The 1.6 only has maybe 1k on a fresh build and balance I had done quit awhile back. I hoped the h.p. would be adequate AND I couldn't find a turbo set up at the time so I proceeded with a giles non turbo pump and injectors. In hindsight I should have done a turbo pump/injector comb. I need to learn more about an add on boost application. Anyway the fresh paint has invigorated the project. After owning the 6m JSW TDI it's awfully hard to accept 50 h.p. on CA. Freeways.

I plan on running either an add on water to oil fiter adapter or possibly a regular cooler, I'm not sure of the oil pump capability?

The BAE is a rare kit by now (Callaway did another for the VW 1.6D) bt really a relic of the 80s and superceded by much more advanced o systems, even wastegated ones. T04E is gigantic by tondard and outflowed, less efficient and far out-spooled than the absolutely tiny but state-of-the-art GTE12 generation of turbosthis

Here's maybe some contrarian advice: the rarity and collector status of your BAE kit means it probably commands a nice price tag to some buyer. I'd use the proceeds of that to put together a system with a much more modern turbo and add an intercooler. The leftover money might even buy upgraded injector nozzles that will make for a healthy HP bump to your IDI - installing the turbo and doing nothing to an originally non-turbo fuel system will net you exactly zilch and you may even lose power because of the added restriction in the exhaust. An aftermarket modified injection pump also wakes up the whole engine.
I'm getting a turbo 101 crash course and am glad I picked thís kit up. It may be for sale or I may use the manifolds? I'd hate to break it up if it would be better to sell. I am balancing using the manifolds with a hybrid .48-.50ish A/R and .50ish trim.? I'm after quick spool and bottom/mid drivable usability. Any idea what real price these parts would bring?

As far as waste gates, would my drivability range/ lower A/R and trim application even build over 7 or 8 psi without red lining this poor 1.6?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Having turboed my rabbit truck without installing the turbo pump, and it still had a very big bump in power.(y) I used a 1.5D dual outlet exhaust manifold which I adapted to a single flange on the turbo. :unsure: I also added an intercooler 👈Later I connected the waste gate line which limited it to 10psi boost or so. It worked fairly well
I presently have a 4 to 2 to 1 header into 3" stainless exhaust (I at least planned ahead on the exhaust) I wonder how feasible an adapter on my present 4 to 2 section would be?

Inter-cooler on the list, check. So will a lower A/R & trim equal higher low rpm boost? Obviously you saw 10+ psi. Was that on a diesel or gas engine?

edit add: Roughly what kind of power increase would you think you added?

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Giles pump is the way to go (I've had a couple myself over the years), and even if just an NA pump it's gonna have more fuel and you'll be pleased. Can always add a new lid with the boost enrichment hat in the future, and your Giles NA pump will retain its value for a potential swap some day as another option.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I presently have a 4 to 2 to 1 header into 3" stainless exhaust (I at least planned ahead on the exhaust) I wonder how feasible an adapter on my present 4 to 2 section would be? Inter-cooler on the list, check. So will a lower A/R & trim equal higher low rpm boost? Obviously you saw 10+ psi. Was that on a diesel or gas engine?

edit add: Roughly what kind of power increase would you think you added?
It was on a 1.6 diesel. Not having dynoed it, it's kinda hard to know how much it added, but it didn't have any problems holding 70mph and running with the 13" tires, it wasn't hard to break traction.
Fuel economy was way down though. I averaged around 45-50 mpg before the turbo with a max of 56 one time. After turboing and turning it up a bit and all that, it dropped to 40-45 mpg average. Likely if I had matched the system better, I could have kept it up, but I didn't.
That was with a 4 speed 3+E transmission. I swapped it to a 5 speed later on.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Giles pump is the way to go and even if just an NA pump it's gonna have more fuel and you'll be pleased. Can always add a new lid with the boost enrichment hat in the future.
I didn't know that. That's great. How difficult is that? Can it be done without removing the pump from the engine?

It was on a 1.6 diesel. it didn't have any problems holding 70mph and running with the 13" tires. I averaged around 45-50 mpg before the turbo with a max of 56. After turboing, it dropped to 40-45 mpg average.
Did you ever run larger and/or heavier tire/rims.? If so how did that affect power, acceleration, freeway or anything else? (After turbocharging). 45mpg with a 25 to 50whp increase would definitely make me 💩🤞

Mozambiquer

TDI
I didn't know that. That's great. How difficult is that? Can it be done without removing the pump from the engine?

Did you ever run larger and/or heavier tire/rims.? If so how did that affect power, acceleration, freeway or anything else? (After turbocharging). 45mpg with a 25 to 50whp increase would definitely make me 💩🤞
I had mk3 alloy 14" with 185/75r14 (iirc the size) on it for a while. Didn't have issues at all. Before I installed the intercooler, it did try to run too hot while pushing it. Looking back, I wish I would have done a better job or just left it na, but it was a lot of fun. Currently it sits with a rusty front end. Some day I want to put a two door rabbit front end and doors on it...
My other one is going to get an ahu engine with a o2a transmission and a .658 fifth gear.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I would stop pissing in the wind and just get an engine swap to a 1.9 tdi, AHU, ALE or AFN/ALH if you can with the 5 speed 02M gearbox, you will need a few mounts and a mk3 donor wiring loom but it will be so worth it in the long run ! That kit while it’s huge for yesterday standards it’s a dinosaur compared with modern turbochargers and having a 90 Bhp on the light mk2 chassis really wakes them up !!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I would stop pissing in the wind and just get an engine swap to a 1.9 tdi, AHU, ALE or AFN/ALH if you can with the 5 speed 02M gearbox.
having a 90 Bhp on the light mk2 chassis really wakes them up !!
As much as I appreciate the idea of a mTDI, I want to stay true to my Original concept of reasonable, simple hp/torque upgrade. The truck isn't a daily driver just occasional fun runner to tinker with. My avatar is of my 67 GTA that I spent 15 years restoring... not doing that again.

No, I'm pretty sure the right turbo, intake, intercooler, oil cooler should be what the doctor ordered. The intent of this thread is for not only 101 turbo (for me) but real world experience on basic turbo knowledge and actual experience with a basic system.

90+- Bhp and a motor that only needs power to a fuel shut Off switch intrigs me. Roughly 10 to 1 hp ratio pushing this little truck would be like driving a modern car. No more no less needed.

●The BAE is a rare kit by now (Callaway did another for the VW 1.6D) ●T04E is gigantic by today's standard and is outflowed, less efficient and far out-spooled than the absolutely tiny but state-of-the-art GTE12 generation of turbos. ●The rarity and collector status of your BAE kit means it probably commands a nice price tag to some buyer. I'd use the proceeds of that to put together a system with a much more modern turbo and add an intercooler. ●The leftover money might even buy upgraded injector nozzles that will make for a healthy HP bump to your IDI
● I believe this is the original 1.6d turbo. The intake and exhaust oval port are. ● Thanks for the GTE12 tip. What are the A/R ratios and trim you were advising? ● What would your opinion be on a fair price for the BAE TURBO? The turbo kit? ● I'm good there, I think. It's a Giles pump and injectors. I understand you can add a turbo "hat" if needed

What do you think of this one? .48a/r comp, 60a/r turbine 50 trim.

I haven't found much on the FTE12 yet. OE Toyota?

Fuel economy was way down though. I averaged around 45-50 mpg before the turbo After turboing and turning it up a bit and all that, it dropped to 40-45 mpg average.
Hey 40 mpg with simplicity and adequate power would be great! Almost what my JSW will do... but you can't run the TDI on peanut butter

Thanks all for the input

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
No, I'm pretty sure the right turbo, intake, intercooler, oil cooler should be what the doctor ordered. The intent of this thread is for not only 101 turbo (for me) but real world experience on basic turbo knowledge and actual experience with a basic system.

90+- Bhp and a motor that only needs power to a fuel shut Off switch intrigs me. Roughly 10 to 1 hp ratio pushing this little truck would be like driving a modern car. No more no less needed.

● I believe this is the original 1.6d turbo. The intake and exhaust oval port are. ● Thanks for the GTE12 tip. What are the A/R ratios and trim you were advising? ● What would your opinion be on a fair price for the BAE TURBO? The turbo kit? ● I'm good there, I think. It's a Giles pump and injectors. I understand you can add a turbo "hat" if needed
What do you think of this one? .48a/r comp, 60a/r turbine 50 trim. The BAE measures roughly 75mm and 52mm where this eBay turbo is (as I recall) 65mm and 48mm. Obviously smaller.

I'm thinking this may do? Same 3 bolt exhaust to turbo? Low to mid power? No surge?

I haven't found much on the FTE12 yet. OE Toyota?

Hey 40 mpg with simplicity and adequate power would be great! Almost what my JSW will do... but you can't run the TDI on peanut butter

Thanks all for the input

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Update
Yes we're on our way! Just picked up a good used k14 and manifold. It's on its way for turbo rebuilding, ceramic coating and exhaust port & polish. It's going to Jpop in Arkansas, they seem very professional, experienced and reasonably priced.

At this point I'll be using the BAE intake with the combo. The Rajay and exhaust manifold went to a collector who I'm sure will do good by it.

My thanks to the knowledgeable schooling along the way. I really think the k14 in a rebuilt, port, polished and ceramic coated will fill all my needs described above exactly.

Phase II... to purchase
Oil feed line and drain tube
TD pan or add drain fitting retro
intercooler & plumbing (find my td air cleaner I stashed years ago)
Vw oil filter sandwich style oil cooler

Feel free to offer up any of these you may have for sale and/or suggestions on other missed items I need

phase III