1.4 Tdi polo upgrades

g__humm

TDI
polo gt
Can someone shed some light onhis for my mate. Want to know what turbo can be put on and what limit the engine is at power wise thanks guys.

Bojje

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 1,9 TDI -02
GT1749V
PD150 injectors
clutch
chiptuning

140 hp / 288 Nm

That's some power!

100 hp/litre in the 1,4 - does it equal the reliability of a PD130 @ 100 hp/litre? It would be great do have a daily driver 1,4 TDI with these power levels, just wondering how it holds up.

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
i don't think that the reliability of the engine at 140hp will be equal to pd130, because the engine itself is a downsized version of the old 1.9 SDI.

turbo johan

Veteran Member
Why would this be a downsized SDI engine?
It's a downsized PD100 engine.
SDI is a VP engine and has different pistons and rods.
Reliability will be same as PD100 with 100 hp/L.
Runs quite nice in a small car.
Completly smokefree.

Johan

Olit

Veteran Member
TDI
VW SHARAN TDI (ASZ-engine)
Hi TJ!

I think I have read somewhere that the block on the 3-syl TDI's are not of the same metal and strength as the 4-syl TDI's? And therefore much weaker, and not suitable for serious tuning. Am I completely wrong?

I hope so, because personally I would love a 1,4 TDI with a 1749VB and ARL-injectors!!:)

Olit

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
K.I.T.T. on here has the 1.4 3 cylinder tdi and has it about 100bhp with just a remap as it's about 75bhp as standard. He has been looking at loads of info too and reckons it can go quite a bit further.:)

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Olit,

Read this thead, it has some good info in:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=195434

Page 4, post #49 onwards is where it really "starts". The engine is pretty robust, the first issue you have to address is the gearbox. Note the dyno print out above. I believe the torque peaks at 3000rpm as it has been restricted at lower RPMs to save the clutch.

The stock gearbox and clutch combo is only good for 250NM, which can be broken with a strong remap. I suspect the car above is running he Sachs organic clutch (the only oher readily available aftermarket clutch for this gearbox), which is rated for 15% more torque (~287.5NM). Note the peak torque is near identical to this figure. I suspect if the torque hadn't been limited, it would have peaked at about 320 - 340NM at 2500RPM and destroyed the clutch...

The engine itself is fine at around 340NM once the gearbox problem is addressed (ie swapped to a 1.9 TDI setup and use a strong enough clutch). Do the math and figure out how much HP that equates to ;)

Ash :)

Last edited: