1,000 mile tank club!?

Malibuwagon1997

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan ALH 5-spd
Tried to baby it for a full tank and came up 15 miles short. Drove 985 miles and put in 17 gallons, about 60 mpg. I drive half city half highway to work and back.

MikePA

TDI
2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 4dr DSG TDI w/Sunroof & Nav xxxPL7AJ5EMxxxxxxx
Wow, my JSW only has a 14.5 gal tank. I'm jealous.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
That's a pretty epic tank!! The best I've done to date is 1220km, about 760mi. It was long ago coming back to Alberta from BC. So mostly highway but hills and mountains and curves for some of it. Didn't baby anything but wasn't super aggressive either. OP any mods or driving habits etc that you got such good mileage ??
That was probably 7 or 8 years ago for me, I used to drive a lot and long distances all the time for work etc. Not so much the last 4 or 5 years. About a year and a half ago I decided to kind of put it to the test for a few trips I had back to back. Still performed quite nicely! Had the fuel light come on around 1100km (680mi or so). Was mostly hwy in pretty decent winds. I was pretty happy to get that mileage. Being I'm not on the road all the time anymore and don't get the opportunity to track mileage as vigilantly I was satisfied knowing years later and oh geez 100,000km or more later that the car still performed mileage wise, maybe not quite as good but comparable for sure. I had no idea what to expect......

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Had a recent fill up at 732 miles and put in 15.2 gallons. (Ventectomied) Lots of driving at 55 and gentle rolling hills with plenty of stops and starts too. Was about 20 miles into the light coming on. Came out to 47.4mpg. Going to keep tweaking stuff as I want at least one tank to break 50 without being super babied to get there.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Fat Fives on my wagon prevent this from happening. I've gotten 550 miles on a non-modified tank, not babying it, mixed driving, BEW with the Fat Fives.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Best I've ever seen is about 800 miles on a full tank (2005 BEW); I always vent out the air spot, generally getting an additional 3 gallons (US) into it when doing that after the initial fuel nozzle shut-off.

But lately, after I hit around 145K, it seems to be getting better. Haven't tried to max the tankful mileage, but am consistently getting close to 50 all the time. Love it -- guess it was just getting broken in!

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Best tank was 921.7. Probably could have eked out another 30 miles, but the pucker factor was high.

That tank also included some local driving. 1000+ is possible if it's all highway, right lane and 55mph the whole way.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Best tank was 921.7. Probably could have eked out another 30 miles, but the pucker factor was high.

That tank also included some local driving. 1000+ is possible if it's all highway, right lane and 55mph the whole way.
I can see this for sure. Not long after I got my car ( 2011 ) I did a test driving 105km/h ( about 65mph) on a 350km or so highway trip under fairly normal conditions in the summer. I topped the tank up and vented before I left and did the same when I got to my destination. So knowing I was within probably a few ounces of diesel on my calculation I think it was about 61 or 62 mpg it worked out to......

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Fat Fives on my wagon prevent this from happening. I've gotten 550 miles on a non-modified tank, not babying it, mixed driving, BEW with the Fat Fives.
I run 18” wheels year round, and still can get a 1000 miles per if I try. I believe it’s all in the tune. I’m running rc6+

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
My best FE was driving though the North Central PA Mountains with a fully loaded Golf. 4 adults 2 small dogs and a trunk load. No interstate @ 45-55 mph mostly. Got 54 mpg and 900 mi on that tank. I haven't matched it since, as I never have 4 adults in my car for long trips anymore. I've been close but its always country roads, never interstate. Probably wont get there anymore since I have the 2" lift and hood visor.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I've done several 900 mile tanks on stock ALH Jetta sedans (except for Sprint 520 nozzles) but w/o a bigger dose of patience and no plans to be anywhere on time, I don't see a 1000 mile tank in my log books ever. Big salute to those who have made it.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
My best was 1500km, which is around 932 miles, on an ALH wagon. Tires were under inflated I think, and could have gotten a little more out of the tank but didn't feel like playing chicken.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
My best was 1500km, which is around 932 miles, on an ALH wagon. Tires were under inflated I think, and could have gotten a little more out of the tank but didn't feel like playing chicken.
What were your driving habits!? Hwy speed? that's a good tank!

Nich

Veteran Member
TDI
5 spd 03 Jetta TDI
HAHA did you consider pushing it the last 15? my best was 880 on a 16.5 fillup at 56 mpg (90% interstate going 55 mph)