0w-30

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
The dealer is telling me that they now sell 0W-30 Castrol oil for our cars ($8.80 Qt)

Has anyone used this stuff yet? Any concerns about that weight?

I need to change my oil next week.

Thanks Guy

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I see based on Idparts website it is used at the dealerships. Is anyone concerned about this oil? I have never used 0W oil and I am just checking

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The dealer is telling me that they now sell 0W-30 Castrol oil for our cars
Yep. Seems VW/Castrol is trying to consolidate the number of oils they carry and wanted a 0 weight. The 5w30 is no longer available.

I was never a fan of using the Castrol if only because it's more expensive and there's no indication that it's any better than competing brands (I use Total Long Life in my '15, and The Liqui-Moly and Rowe products are great, too).

I don't think the 0w30 will do any harm, perhaps you might see a bit more consumption in hot weather, but I doubt it.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd try it but it is hard to find that Total Quartz near me. I guess I will go with the dealer this time but I am going to keep my eyes open for next year. Thanks

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
No concern here about the viscosity, but that price is a little concerning. :)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
What's so concerning?

It is $110 for a 3 pack of the 5 quart jugs. So that's $36.95 per 5 quart jug.

If you wanted to break that down some more, It's about $7.39 per quart. Which if you consider you are technically buying in bulk, that's not that bad of a price.

Or are you concerned because $7.39 "per quart" is extremely cheap?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$7.40/qt I could probably live with. I bought a couple cases of mobil1 esp for around $6/liter a couple years back. It's the $8.80/qt price the OP cited that might make me clench the purse strings. But I'm used to buying by the gallon, so there's that.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
$7.40/qt I could probably live with. I bought a couple cases of mobil1 esp for around $6/liter a couple years back. It's the $8.80/qt price the OP cited that might make me clench the purse strings. But I'm used to buying by the gallon, so there's that.
m1 esp i got at a parts store was $12 qt

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't feel too bad. I got ripped on a couple liters of esp at Pep boys when my tdi was brand new. Then I discovered AVlubes(now gone) and NAPA deals. I just use whatever is handy in my gasser golf now.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Napa sale for m1 ESP for 5.49/L couldn't pass up, 24L makes a me a happy man, it was almost as good as the one year Pep Boys didn't put exclusions on M1 black friday sales and it was $5/L, i got them good that year.

Also I've read that weights of synthetic oils are spitting close to each other that you'd hardly tell the difference between 5W30 vs 0W30, i'd be more concerned about ash level of the oil than weight.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I knew about the NAPA sale. I bought 12 quarts at the dealer for $110 already. Should have waited. Next time

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Did the oil change today. My first time for the '15 Passat. I had the oil extractor all ready to go and was excited to use an extractor for the first time also. Looking all over for the oil filter, feeling foolish that I can't find it. Alas, of course, the filter is underneath for these cars. So I put the extractor back in the box and got to work under the car.
Then of course I discovered that the oil capacity in the manual is wrong. I put 4.5 qts, but had to keep adding and adding more. Started to think what stupid thing I could be doing wrong..... It took a little more than 6 quarts and could use a bit more to get to the full line. Also found the dealer messed up two of the three larger bolts at the rear of the bottom engine cover. Also missing some of the black styrofoam from the top engine cover. The little stupid things the dealerships do chaffs my butt.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
shell T6 5w40 no issues what so ever 2015 TDI, I started using this oil after dodge issued a TSB to drain the 507 spec 0w30 out of the eco diesel engines and replace it with T6 due to lower end failures. The eco diesel has the same emission system as our TDI's so I figured this would be a good idea- and yup 40k into T-6 no issues what so ever

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jim you are braver than me. I wouldn't put something in my passat that wasn't up to the spec they ask for. I loved the T6 in my 02 Jetta though so I can see why you have confidence in it.

I used to put Arco Graphite oil in mine and Dad's Honda Civics in the 80's. That stuff came out of the bottle BLACK like used city bus oil. Seemed to work though and when our mechanic took dad's engine apart he thought it looked amazingly good. I can't remember how many hard New York City traffic miles the car had gone but it was a lot.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Rotella T6 is probably fine in a '15. As jrm wrote, it's low ash, probably very similar to the VW 507.00 oil. VW's 507.00 spec includes an FE requirement that requires the oil be 5w30. If I had to choose, I'd probably use Rotella before the 0w30 Castrol. Fortunately there are many good 507.00 5w30 oils out there, so I don't have to choose.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the Divine link. Great info. I think I will go with the total quartz from Amazon that Indigo suggest to me when I run out of the 12 quarts I bought from the dealer. I mixed 4 qts of the dealer oil with 2 left over qts of the Edge LL03 5-30 I had. Been running smooth.

The parts guy said their oil is made by Mobil. Nothing on the bottle says who made it aside from made in Germany.

Thanks for everyone's feed back. There's a ton of "know-how" on this forum.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I contacted Rotella this morning to see why they don't have the VW 507 spec on the T-6 oil since I would like to go back to using that oil. They responded that VW 507 is for gasoline engines and that is why it doesn't have that spec. Their Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 is alll they have that meets that specification. I just wrote back to correct them that 507 is a diesel spec. I will let you folks know what they say. I doubt they will give me real "skinny" on the difference between the 507 and the CK-4 though especially after messing up the first answer. From what I (as a perpetual novice) understand, non 507 oil will clog the DPF prematurely. Just how premature that will be I dunno????

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There are many oils for diesel vehicles with DPFs. Only some of them also have VW's 507.00 certification. But if Rotella T6 doesn't clog the DPF in a Ecodiesel, it's not going to clog the DPF in your VW.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whoever you talked to at Shell didn't know what they are talking about. 507 is a diesel spec. 504 is the gas spec. The reason the T6 5w40 doesn't have a 507 certification is because it doesn't meet the specs. First, 507 cannot be a Xw40 oil. Second, it has a bit too much sulphated ash content. Third, it probably doesn't meet the 507 NOACK volatility spec. There may be other specs it doesn't meet as well. That's not to say it isn't a great oil. I used it in my golf both prior to and after getting a delete.