09A Torque Converter doesn't lock up after car is hot

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
I have a 2004 BEW TDI Jetta with the 09A, Jatco, 5-speed tiptronic auto transmission. About 6 months ago, I had all 9 solenoid valves replaced due to harsh shifting from 1-2. A few months ago, I developed a problem where my torque converter stopped locking up at cruising speeds once the car warms up. When I first start the car in the morning, the torque converter locks up as it should once the car is at cruising speed, but after the engine gets to normal operating temperature, the torque converter stops locking up as it should (if I take my foot off of the fuel pedal at 60 mph, the engine RPM immediately drops to idle RPM showing there is nothing coupling engine to transmission). I know that the N91 solenoid which is listed as a "modulating" solenoid versus an on/off solenoid is responsible to perform the lockup; I just don't think this is the problem because it is only 6 months old. Does anybody know of anything else that might prevent a torque converter from locking up after a transmission is up to temp?

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
You may scan the auto tran use vag-com to find have any codes. Are fluid level affect the lock up? Just guess.