09a re and re

Jasscoff

TDI
00' ALH, 06' BEW
I have purchased a 09 a transmission to replace my current failing 09a. Are there any tips on removal and insulation of this? I have a hoist and I would hope that this should be beneficial. Any input I would greatly appreciate. For instance fluid volume and any tips on removal

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
R&Ring the 09a is just like doing any other automatic, there's not really much unique about it. Undo cv axles, undo torque converter nuts, then r&r trans. Whenever I've done fluid changes on the 09a I've always bought 5 qts of fluid, think I only used like 4.2qt roughly.
It might make it easier if you put the front end into service position.

Jasscoff

TDI
00' ALH, 06' BEW
R&Ring the 09a is just like doing any other automatic, there's not really much unique about it. Undo cv axles, undo torque converter nuts, then r&r trans. Whenever I've done fluid changes on the 09a I've always bought 5 qts of fluid, think I only used like 4.2qt roughly.
It might make it easier if you put the front end into service position.
I thought about doing a 5-speed swap because I much prefer a 5-speed over the automatic Volkswagen transmission but it is much easier to do the swap on the tiptronic

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I find the Jatco 09A to be pretty tight in there, and it is easier to move the lock carrier assembly out of the way so you can see what you are doing and have some room to move it forward as well as down. Dropping the subframe out helps, too.

That unit is physically quite large, and that is perhaps why they didn't use them in the BEW NBs, as the slight changes required to fit the transmission in the chassis were at odds with the slight changes to the chassis to allow for the NB's skin. Also, the ATF cooler is in a stupid spot and right in the way of things.

This is behind an AWP 1.8t engine, but the transmission portion is essentially the same, and even with the whole front of the car off, you STILL cannot see the transmission buried in there!

Both the engine and transmission harnesses, as well as the alternator and A/C subharness, attach to the stays on the valve body cover. So you end up fighting that stuff when you do not make enough room.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I thought about doing a 5-speed swap because I much prefer a 5-speed over the automatic Volkswagen transmission but it is much easier to do the swap on the tiptronic
I've also liked driving the 09a the handful of times I have driven it. Shame they didn't put it behind the ALH. Oilhammer's photo is a great example of what the lock carrier looks like removed. You could also pivot it on the AC lines, hinging it on the right headlight side, so it saves you evacuating and recharging the AC.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nope, it doesn't. Have to literally take the transmission apart to get to the screen inside.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
the box is already out, undo the bell housing and replace, thats why they sell them as spares. i know i would, but its your box to do what you want.