09A - No Forward Gears

arcking

TDI
2x '04 Jetta Wagons (BEW/09A), '13 JSW
I’m new to TDIClub and to VWs & TDIs, but looking forward to learning more. I picked up two project cars not too long ago – a 2004 Wagon with the 09ATiptronic (trans issues, ~160k) and a 2000 Jetta with the 5 speed (body damage). Originally, I’d planned (if possible) to swap the manual into the wagon but I hate to give up the ALH – if possible I’m going to try to get them both on the road.

I’m digging into the wagon now and trying to determine what the best course of action with the transmission issues. I’ve done a significant amount of reading on these issues online (09A Self Study, TDIClub, and others) and could use some insight with regard to troubleshooting and the decision as to whether to repair, replace with used, or swap a 5 speed. There don’t seem to be many cases online of 09As with no forward gears.

When I bought the wagon, the owner stated that it had been having trouble making it up hills without a running start and eventually lost all forward gears and had to be towed – it sat for some time after than until I picked it up. I’ve noticed that there is a very, very slight amount of ‘go’ in D, 2 and T1 but only on perfectly hard, flat, and level ground – and at that you might only get a mph or two at high RPM (essentially, no forward gears). Reverse on the other hand, works GREAT - no problems whatsoever. Fluid didn’t seem horrible, but certainly wasn’t new. Interestingly, once I was able to get it into T2 rolling down a hill and got about a second of solid engagement when I shifted back to T1.

I pulled the harness to the TCM at the transmission to put it in limp mode – the gear selection (PRND) went to a solid backlight as expected. With the harness unplugged, the car drives just fine in 4 and R. This would seem to imply that some of the components inside the transmission are in decent shape (K3, B1, B2, B3?) – thoughts?

I picked up a basic VAG KKL cable to read the TCM codes using VCDS 409.1 – here is what I got (with descriptions added where missing):

Code:
00264 - Solenoid Valve 4 (N91)
30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent
00268 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs [Solenoid Valve 6 (N93): Open or Short to Ground]
30-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
00268 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
29-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
00262 - Solenoid Valve 3 (N90)
00258 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs [Solenoid Valve 1 (N88): Open or Short to Ground]
00300 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs [Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor (G93) - Implausible Signal]
00349 - Solenoid Valve 10 (N283)
00350 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
38-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
00652 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs [Gear Monitoring: Implausible Signal]
27-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
01045 - Tiptronic Switch (F189)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
The sheer quantity of codes surprised me – would this be a result of disconnecting the harness? (It was reconnected for some time before these DTCs were pulled)

Does anyone have any insight into what might be happening? I know the 09A is notorious for solenoid issues, but would that result in the forward gears virtually being non-existent? If solenoids are/were the cause, how much damage could have been done to the internals before I picked the car up?

Is it possible to force the car into gears other than 4 and R in limp mode? I’d be curious to know if eliminating the TCM had any affect the other gears (with the hope of confirming clutch function/condition).

I’m planning to manually check the resistance across the solenoids and well as check for continuity to ground for each – ideally this would confirm the DTCs on the TCM, but with the ‘intermittent’ note I’m not sure if I’ll be able to see this with an ohmmeter unless I’m lucky. What else should be I checking? I’ve seen some reference to checking Measuring Blocks for the solenoids and pressures but I’m not sure what that would involve.

As another note – the coolant light displays on the dash when the car is first started, but goes after a few minutes. Additionally, the EGR cooler has a leak. Not sure if either of these would come into play, but I’d rather mention them just in case. Once again, this is 2004 Wagon with the BEW and 09A.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Its fubar. Disconnecting the harness bypass's the solenoids, so if you do that and it shifts fine then that indicates you have electrical issues. If it won't shift in fail safe, it has internal issues.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm wondering if its a bad connection / wire or a bad ground.
The ground connection under the battery tray has been mentioned a number of times.
The 'Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent' could be a bad power feed problem.
Check the fuses, power relay & such.

Rich W.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to determine what is missing on the control side. The trans is probably fine.

I have replaced a few TCMs on these for various problems. Some of them are made in Italy by Hella.... which seriously makes no sense as the transmission is made by Jatco in Japan.

arcking

TDI
I reset the DTCs last night and ran it through the gears (not moving, obviously) - the only code that returned was 00652. Should the other codes have appeared pretty quickly, or would it need to be driven a fair bit?

This is probably a dumb question, but not being familiar with these cars in proper operating condition I'm inclined to ask - if I select 4th gear (not Tiptronic) should the car be in that gear? (Or will it shift it's way up to 4th as you're moving and just not hit 5th?)

What overrides the manual fail-safe that allows me to put to the car in 4th without the TCM connected to the transmission when the TCM is connected? I assume the mechanical linkage is working the same way, so is there a solenoid that bypasses the manual valving?

I'm wondering if its a bad connection / wire or a bad ground.
The ground connection under the battery tray has been mentioned a number of times.
The 'Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent' could be a bad power feed problem.
Check the fuses, power relay & such.
I checked the grounds under battery tray (3) and the grounds in front of the windshield (2) visually and everything looked to be in fine shape and tight. I've pulled all of the fuses in the car and on top of the battery, and all appear to be in fine shape. What other areas should I check? Are any of the relays under the dash tied to the transmission/TCM?

You need to determine what is missing on the control side. The trans is probably fine.
I have replaced a few TCMs on these for various problems. Some of them are made in Italy by Hella.... which seriously makes no sense as the transmission is made by Jatco in Japan.
Any suggestions of what to check on the control side? It would appear that the TCM is a JATCO item.

I did some digging around with an ohmmeter on the harness and found the following - does any of this strike you all as incorrect?

With the harness connected at the transmission, but disconnected at the TCM I checked continuity with ground with the battery disconnected at the TCM plug - here are the pins with continuity as per my multimeter (labelled as best I could using the Transmission Digest Technical Supplement). These were not what I was expecting, but maybe someone can re-assure me:

• 1 (Ground)
  • 21 (Brake Switch)
  • 22 (Fused/battery) - thinking I need to double check this
  • 24 (Ground)
  • 25 (2/4 Duty Cycle)
  • 26 (2/4 Timing)
  • 46 (Reduction Timing)
  • 48 (PC Solenoid)
  • 49 (Shift Solenoid C)
  • 50 (TCC Solenoid)
  • 51 (Low Clutch Timing)
  • 64 (Ground @ Valve Body?)
  • 65 (Shift Solenoid B)
  • 66 (Shift Solenoid A)

With the harness still connected to the transmission, I checked continuity/resistance to the positive lead from the TCM plug - the battery was disconnected. I'm assuming a solenoid/relay somewhere else in the electrical system led to most of the readings, so I'm not concerned - maybe I should be?

• 1 = .2 (Ground)
  • 5 = .7
  • 6 = .2
  • 15 = .5
  • 16 = .6
  • 21 = .2 (Brake Switch)
  • 22 = Continuity (Fused/battery)
  • 24 = .2 (Ground)
  • 25 = .2 (2/4 Duty Cycle)
  • 26 = .2 (2/4 Timing)
  • 45 = .2 (Fused/Ignition Switch & Range Switch)
  • 46 = .2 (Reduction Timing)
  • 48 = .2 (PC Solenoid)
  • 49 = .2 (Shift Solenoid C)
  • 50 = .2 (TCC Solenoid)
  • 51 = .2 (Low Clutch Timing)
  • 64 = .1 (Ground @ Valve Body?)
  • 66 = .2 (Shift Solenoid A)
  • 68 = .2-.3 (Fused/Ignition Switch)

With the harness unplugged at both the TCM AND the transmission, I tested continuity from each pin at the TCM to ground:

• 1 = Continuity (Ground)
  • 5 = .85
  • 6 = .096
  • 15 = .465
  • 16 = .465
  • 18 = .571 (Range Switch 5)
  • 21 = Continuity (Brake Switch)
  • 22 = .198 (Fused/battery)
  • 24 = Continuity (Ground)
  • 68 = .073 (Fused/Ignition Switch)

I'd be very curious to know whether these findings are in line with what I should be expecting.

Thanks!

lirunaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI, Model Year:2006 Code:6 MFG:07/05 Vin:9BWGR61J364004114 Sales Model:9B1 538 Description:1.9 TDI High 100 Engine:BEW Type:TD CCM:1896 KW:74 Description:Pumpe-D... Transmission:GPC Type:A Number:09AH GVWR:4097 Front:2269 Rear:1850
As you said "There don’t seem to be many cases online of 09As with no forward gears." I'm having this issue with my 2006. I see this is an old post, but what was your final diagnosis and/or fix?

arcking

TDI
As you said "There don’t seem to be many cases online of 09As with no forward gears." I'm having this issue with my 2006. I see this is an old post, but what was your final diagnosis and/or fix?
It ended up being a failed o-ring on one of the clutch drums. I suspect failing solenoids led to harsh shifting which in turn led to the o-ring failing. I replaced the o-ring and frictions in that clutch and put a ton of miles on it without issues.

lirunaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI, Model Year:2006 Code:6 MFG:07/05 Vin:9BWGR61J364004114 Sales Model:9B1 538 Description:1.9 TDI High 100 Engine:BEW Type:TD CCM:1896 KW:74 Description:Pumpe-D... Transmission:GPC Type:A Number:09AH GVWR:4097 Front:2269 Rear:1850
It ended up being a failed o-ring on one of the clutch drums. I suspect failing solenoids led to harsh shifting which in turn led to the o-ring failing. I replaced the o-ring and frictions in that clutch and put a ton of miles on it without issues.
Thank you. Gives me hope for mine.