09 TDI 40K Service - $842.61

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I just had my service today. $842.61. Yes, that's right, over 800 dollars. I've never felt more raped in my life. I'm so upset, and to add insult to injury, I'm not sure they used the correct engine oil. I'm setting here (just got back from the dealer) pondering what my plan of action should be.

In a nutshell, Ganley VA in Bedford, OH charge $399.95 for the general service which included oil and various filters along with all the fluff they claim to do at 40K, and then $357.05 for the DSG and a brake system flush.

I'm highly suspicious of the oil because it was $7.71 per liter and I'm pretty sure type 507 oil costs more than that.

OMG>.. this car is my little BABY and I'm just sick about it!!!!

Wes

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
$7.71 is about the price a dealer charges for 507 oil. I bought a liter for $7.29 a few months back. So the price indicates that the dealer probably used 507 oil. Just give the parts guy a call and ask what the price for 507 and 505 oils are.

As far as the total cost, you could have saved a hundred $ or so by finding an independent mechanic that services VWs and DSGs to do the 40k service. Better yet learn to do the service yourself for probably around $250ish in filters and fluids.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
$400 For the general 40k service....:eek: not even including the DSG service. Wow no offense but you may want to consider servicing the car yourself. The 40k service is about an hour of your time... So unless you make close to $400/hour DIY...;)

40K: Oil & filter, Fuel filter, Air filter, Cabin filter. Very easily done, then add on the DSG service (oil & filter) if you don't have a manual tranny.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Well, I'm feeling a little better. The oil DOES appear to be correct. VW part G052-195-1L appears to be the right oil. And I've spoke to a couple other people that spent over $1000 at their dealers for the same service... God, things are just so expensive these days.

I tend to use the dealer as they really DO a lot of stuff the independents will skip. Things like lubing the doors and tracks in your sun roof, inspecting brakes and hoses... they LOOK for things that make them money as well as service items... check all the light bulbs etc...

Independents are indeed cheaper, but they usually do specifically what you ask for and nothing more. Most wouldn't even consider cleaning up or lubricating anything.

I travel A LOT... usually over 50K a year, and time is valuable. I just can't do it myself, so I spend the money and hope the dealer will do EVERY possible thing the car will need.

In 20 years of traveling with my job, I've never been broke down. Count my blessings I'm sure, but experience helps qualify the actions and expense.

Wes

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I am wondering if anyone at this point has more miles on an 09 than Wes, and if anyone else has gotten the 40K service at the dealer.

At this point, I only have 3500 miles. I am letting all you pioneers go out on the trail before me, so I can see where you get ambushed by the Indians.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
wesk1954 said:
God, things are just so expensive these days.
Wes, in the bigger scheme of things, that price isn't that bad (if you can't handle it yourself). Just last week my co-worker had a call from the Infiniti dealer and they were giving his car a "yellow light" on the inspection. This G35X is 3 years old and about 22k miles. The dealer was yellow lighting the rear brake pads. They proposed to replace JUST the rear pads for $436 :eek: :D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
This has been true even for the 2006's. Others have reported long ago that the 40k service including DSG is very expensive at the dealer. At least $400 up to $1100 if I remember correctly. I like the DSG, but that is one major thing that irks me. You have to do some/all of this stuff yourself if you want to cut your expenses considerably. I serviced my car with all filters and fluids every 10k miles for about $115. Three times a year. 5 speed though. I also check all the bulbs/lube ... :)

Never had any problems other than the cam going down hill.

There are also independants who are more competant than the dealers. Especially for the German cars. Mach1 here has done some great work for me in the past. There are a number of others scattered around the country as well. Feel lucky if one is near you! Find a "good" independant near you if you can. If the dealer is your choice, be ready to pay!

Just so you don't feel too bad, my 1998 BMW 328i convertible may need a cat at some point. Dealer wants $2400 for one parts only. I'm searching Craigs list for used exhausts for cheap just in case. ;)

deepv

TDI
none
Um, why would you pay a dealer to do anything?

For the most part their service department is there to perform warranty work. All the rest can be done yourself or by another reliable mechanic. That's what these forums and a good repair manual are for.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
wesk1954 said:
service... God, things are just so expensive these days.

I tend to use the dealer as they really DO a lot of stuff the independents will skip. Things like lubing the doors and tracks in your sun roof, inspecting brakes and hoses... they LOOK for things that make them money as well as service items... check all the light bulbs etc...
Boy, you hit that nail on the head! ........"Let's see, your car is making a strange sound.....you need a new turbo!!" or....."you injection pump has a small leak so a new one will fix that!!...

I (and many folks here) have heard both of those...:p

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
wesk1954 said:
Well, I'm feeling a little better. The oil DOES appear to be correct. VW part G052-195-1L appears to be the right oil. And I've spoke to a couple other people that spent over $1000 at their dealers for the same service... God, things are just so expensive these days.

Independents are indeed cheaper, but they usually do specifically what you ask for and nothing more. Most wouldn't even consider cleaning up or lubricating anything.

I travel A LOT... usually over 50K a year, and time is valuable. I just can't do it myself, so I spend the money and hope the dealer will do EVERY possible thing the car will need.

In 20 years of traveling with my job, I've never been broke down. Count my blessings I'm sure, but experience helps qualify the actions and expense.

Wes

So your happy they screwed you? because thats what happened here. Don't be this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
What would charge for a t/B $ 2000 odds are they screw it up. I would bet if they did the job it would be there first one. I would call them on what the charge for the work they did.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Wow! Pricey sure, however considering what the VW dealership must charge for their hourly rate, say $80. maybe $90... add the several filters at some ultra stupid inflated price and there ya go $4 hundred something.

I recall my 1983 VW GTI breaking down in Mid-town (NYC), I needed a tow and subsequently went to the mid-town VW dealership. This was in '83 and the hourly rate was $78.00.... I'm not making this up......

The local Porsche dealer here in Alpharetta, GA is $119 an hour... ya wanna play ya got-sta pay. (the book says 8 hours to replace the ignition wires on my 911,,, I did it myself in 10 hours, yeah its a M-F'ker)

$8 hundred something sounds stupid for the 40k, but not really...
(you could have done this simple filter service and gotten to know the TDI a little better along the way, My 02.) Let VW do the DSG... EDIT: the first time, if not for the drive train warranty back up out to 60K miles.

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
1998993C2S said:
Wow! Pricey sure, however considering what the VW dealership must charge for their hourly rate, say $80. maybe $90... add the several filters at some ultra stupid inflated price and there ya go $4 hundred something.

I recall my 1983 VW GTI breaking down in Mid-town (NYC), I needed a tow and subsequently went to the mid-town VW dealership. This was in '83 and the hourly rate was $78.00.... I'm not making this up......

The local Porsche dealer here in Alpharetta, GA is $119 an hour... ya wanna play ya got-sta pay. (the book says 8 hours to replace the ignition wires on my 911,,, I did it myself in 10 hours, yeah its a M-F'ker)

(you could have done this simple filter service and gotten to know the TDI a little better along the way, My 02.) Let VW do the DSG...
No, no and NO! Is anyone listening .......

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2699705&postcount=38

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
wesk1954 said:
That's what the invoice says, anyways.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
thebigarniedog said:
No, no and NO! Is anyone listening .......
These USA dealership's are notoriously absent minded when it comes to the details... That said, I know of a few good Dealership Service Mgr's and they do make it happen for their customers. It's the exception I'm afraid..

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
Just so you don't feel too bad, my 1998 BMW 328i convertible may need a cat at some point. Dealer wants $2400 for one parts only. I'm searching Craigs list for used exhausts for cheap just in case. ;)
Um, must chime in. You can get cats from Ebay that will kill the BMW's MIL and can be welded up, or grafted into the exhaust system. I did it to the two cats in our 7-series, tacked them in place and had a pro tig weld it closed for ~$300-400, if I remember. BMW cats commonly fail :( .

I'd note that ourselves and other '09 TDI DSG owners should watch for an expansion of the tranny sensor recall to include pre-sept '09 build dates. If it does, your dsg fluid change is free.

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite
MonsterTDI09 said:
What would charge for a t/B $ 2000 odds are they screw it up. I would bet if they did the job it would be there first one. I would call them on what the charge for the work they did.
I am willing to bet there is a stealer that will charge in excess of $3000 for a Timing Belt job and still get it wrong. We really need to begin collecting data and post it online to see where the lower cost dealers are (if any). I recently called Langhorne VW in PA to get a quote for a brake fluid change. They, at $89.00, are nearly $60 cheaper than the dealer in Laurel MD that I typically use when necessary.

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
Elfnmagik said:
That's what the invoice says, anyways.
Ya, they "check all fluids". I noted my coolant was below the minimum level before and after I left. Eventually the alarm for it went off and I dumped half a litre of water in. But still, I doubt they do much. Any my dealership INSISTS I come in every 5k miles and that it is "required" :rolleyes:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
DZL_Damon said:
Ya, they "check all fluids". I noted my coolant was below the minimum level before and after I left. Eventually the alarm for it went off and I dumped half a litre of water in. But still, I doubt they do much. Any my dealership INSISTS I come in every 5k miles and that it is "required" :rolleyes:
Be careful with diluting the coolant. From the factory, it is only mixed to protect to -10F. I assume your Maine winter nights are as cold as here in the Green Mountains.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
DZL_Damon said:

what dealer? i picked mine up at Thompson in Waterville

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Depends on waht is included at 40k service, the cost is not out of way. We took our hybrid Honda Civic at a dealer for 60k service. The was was anywhere from $600 to $1200 depending on what other recommended services you wanted to include in the package.

However, since I service my 2002TDI, the cost is not that much other than for parts.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
1998993C2S said:

(you could have done this simple filter service and gotten to know the TDI a little better along the way, My 02.) Let VW do the DSG... EDIT: the first time, if not for the drive train warranty back up out to 60K miles.
That's freakin insane.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
k1xv said:
Be careful with diluting the coolant. From the factory, it is only mixed to protect to -10F. I assume your Maine winter nights are as cold as here in the Green Mountains.
'Zactly. I remember just reading in the manual that it warns against diluting. A splash to float the sensor may be negligible, but half a liter might be a little much. That is if there's really anything to it

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Dodoma said:
Depends on waht is included at 40k service, the cost is not out of way. We took our hybrid Honda Civic at a dealer for 60k service. The was was anywhere from $600 to $1200 depending on what other recommended services you wanted to include in the package.

However, since I service my 2002TDI, the cost is not that much other than for parts.

At 40k the only major service that should be done is the DSG trans mabey break fluid. Then there is the little stuff like oil change cabin filter the rest checking like belts and hoses breaks and so on odds are they are all good. How long should the little stuff take 1-1/2.The DSG service $400 other stuff and price for cabion filter $200 that's around were the bill should be.In my estimation.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
Hit the TDI 101 section and find yourself a GURU that can do this stuff away from the dealership. If no one else will do your '09 right now, keep checking back every few months to see if someone is doing them. Do everything you can to avoid the dealer on TDI's unless that dealer has a tech that is listed here as reliable.

On the other side of the coin, if you find a reliable tech that happens to work for a dealer make sure to get their name and list it here.