'09 Sportwagen Multi-Function Steering wheel upgrade

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Has anybody successfully installed a MFSW (Multi-Function Steering Wheel) in a 2009 SportWagen. Ross-Tech believes (and I'm beginning to accept) that the MFSW buttons and the standard wiper stalk MFD buttons cause a conflict and create problems. If anyone has done this upgrade successfully, I would love to see the steering wheel section of your VCDS autoscan.

I define "successfully" as three things:

1) Buttons work on both sides of the steering wheel.
2) No Fault codes from controller.
3) Cruise control (buttons on light stalk) works correctly.

I have been through 2 different controllers and I can pretty much get any 2 out of 3 to work, but not all three at once. My current choice is #1 & #3. (This "upgrade" has been quite an adventure, I've learned far more than I wanted to know about steering wheel controllers and coding.)

What I really want to know (if it works for you) is your controller p/n, it's software version, & it's coding. All of this info is in the controller 16 (Steering Wheel) section of an autoscan. I am also curious whether the wiper stalk MFD control buttons still work along with the MFSW buttons.

TIA

Don

DamselDiver

TDI
2005 TDI New Jetta 2009 JSW
O09 JSW MFSW Coding

I just did this Mod and everything works except the volume buttons on the MFSW. I have no fault codes. I installed the xxx-xxx-xxx BK module with the single purple air bag harness. I did not change the clock spring.

I soft coded 0013142, the original soft code was 0010042.

The star button does nothing, but the phone button activates the Parrot BlueTooth Phone through the stereo.

All the MFD buttons on the right side of the MFSW work. The rear wiper and cruise control work properly as well as the paddleshifters.

I can live with this, I just want to understand the programming better. I'll change it if I can do so by coding only.

Cheers
Cheryl

Last edited:

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Thanks for the excellent question. I look forward to seeing this thread develop.

My JSW doesn't have the steering wheel controls. I didn't realize how much I would miss them.

DamselDiver

TDI
2005 TDI New Jetta 2009 JSW
update MFSW w/ 2009 JSW

I recoded the MFSW using some info I found on another VW forum. I used the soft code 0012122 and all functions to all buttons work, the MFD buttons on the wiper stalk are disabled.

The star button mutes the stereo system, the phone button works properly, the volume buttons work, and the MFD+ is controlled by the buttons on the right. My MFSW has shift paddles and they work properly, the cruise control functions properly as well.

This is the best case scenario for me and I'm extremely happy with the results of this mod.

Cheers
Cheryl