09 JSW DPF issue

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
Howdy folks,

It's been nearly a month since this work was done, but I wanted to apprise everyone of a DPF issue I experienced, in case it helps someone else with a similar issue.

I took my car into the dealership after the Check Engine Light illuminated (NOT the DPF light). Upon scanning the car and conferring with VW Technical, the dealer was instructed to replace essentially the entire exhaust between the turbo and rearmost muffler.

Upon picking up the car and pressing for an explanation, the shop foreman gave the following rundown.

The CEL was caused by a clogged EGR filter. This was due to a flaw in the DPF. VW was aware of this problem with some other early CR diesels, and had made running changes to the DPF and ALL the catalysts. So the parts were all replaced with the newer versions, including the newer-style two-piece DPF/cat assembly. In addition, the ECU was reflashed with revised software that will change the cycling of the regen function in some way.

Again, this was all done under warranty, and I've noticed no difference in the car's behavior. I've called VW and had them note this in my file, should the problem recur in another 30K miles. Hopefully it won't recur, but if it does I am so far impressed with VW's responsiveness in my car's two warranty claims (see my sunroof leak issue in another thread).

When I get the chance I hope to get under the car and take some snapshots for the benefit of the forum.

Meantime, here's the list of parts replaced in this operation:

(2) 1K0-253-115-T GASKET
(3) 1K0-253-725 CLIP
(1) 1K0-253-725-E CLIP
(1) 1K0-253-120 TUBE
(1) 03G-131-547-H GASKET
(2) N-101-560-09 BOLT
(4) 1K0-253-115-AE GASKET
(2) 1K0-253-725-B CLIP
(1) 1K0-131-649 BRACKET
(1) 1K0-254-401-R CATALYST
(1) 1K0-254-706-LX EXHAUST PIPE
(1) 1K0-254-401-T CATALYST
(1) 1K0-253-725-B CLIP

(I think below is the DPF part number:)

1K0-253-120

Here's the writeup from the original diagnostic:

"Diesel particulate filter failure causing EGR filter to clog up. VSD, GFF, follow test plan all OK. Contact tech support, ck basic settings 78 and 241, tech support suggests particulate filter failure causing EGR filter failure, must replace both per tech support. Replace SO parts as required, erase faults, generate readiness. Unable to continue test plan as comp. w/plan was updated and GFF data log erased."

Hope the rest of my time with the car will be as utterly trouble-free as the first 36k were prior to this issue and the sunroof, both handled without hesitation under warranty by VW!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Any way you can extract a VIN range for these "running changes to the DPF and ALL the catalysts"?

Have there been more EGR issues with early CR vehicles? My casual observation says yes, as I don't recall seeing EGR being discussed very often.

Is this true?

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
I so doubt that anyone's going to give me any information (and I've been seeing too much of them of late anyway) that I honestly don't plan to spend a single minute more asking anyone about it!

I don't think there have been many EGR issues, except flapper valve issues here and there, with any CR cars, but I can only go on what I see here. The dealer did mention they had two or three other cars (I assume around my car's vintage) for the same repair.

Who knows, this might all be CYA for dealers who filled up cars with non-507 oil! Even though I asked for and got the empty 507 bottles, who's to say these weren't used in my car? I'd certainly not put it past the dealer I purchased from, who grossly overfilled the oil and then lied to me, twice.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Going to guess that the DPF core is vibrating loose or otherwise breaking up. Has the exhaust ever impacted on anything?

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Going to guess that the DPF core is vibrating loose or otherwise breaking up. Has the exhaust ever impacted on anything?
Interesting guess. No impacts that I know of, certainly not while I'm driving.

I somehow doubt the theory's veracity, though. No strange noises akin to a fragmented catalyst, as you'd probably expect in such a scenario.

More likely, in my mind, is a greater propensity for ash and soot in our dirtier American diesel, which (hopefully) is better addressed with the newer design.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
From what I understand the DPF material is very,very tough. Just wacking it with a hammer did not break it up. The guy had to use a hammer and screw driver (as a chisel) to get it busted up.

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for late reply again. The EGR filter in question, I believe, is on the low-pressure side. I don't think there is a filter on the high side?

Sargassoc

Interesting initial post. I have a 2010 TDI and I'm also from Connecticut, as is MostroDiesel-- and I just had virtually the same EGR filter and particulate filter replaced (under warranty) today.

My parts are:
(1) 1K0-254-706-LX EXHAUST PIPE
(1) 1K0-253-725-E CLIP
(1) 1K0-253-144- BC BRACKET
(2) N-102-400-03 BOLT
(4) N-023-002-15 NUT
(2) 1K0-253-725 CLIP
(1) 1K0-253-115-T GASKET
(1) 1K0-253-115-AE GASKET
(1) 1K0-253-120 TUBE
(1) 03G-131-547-H GASKET

And my write-up is as follows:

"Disconnected and removed particulate filter. Removed EGR filter. Swapped all sensors from the bad particulate filter to the new one. Installed new EGR filter. Installed new particulate filter. Reconnected and torqued to spec."

Last edited:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Yet, I'm overreacting by calling these CR TDIs an eventual fricken POS money pit, eh?:rolleyes: Later!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Money pit? 2 posted DPF failures?

C'mon, Harv...calm down. Save it for when you're proven right, and we can all say, "Harv warned us!" :D:D:D

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!

C'mon, Harv...calm down. Save it for when you're proven right, and we can all say, "Harv warned us!" :D:D:D

I think all Harv is saying is that CR's have a couple of potential problems that may rear their ugly head over the lifespan of the vehicle. These problems are not cheap if the owner has to bare the cost of out of warranty repairs.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP

Would you like me to list the many already discovered and potential high dollar issues that every single CR owner should be losing sleep over rather than having their heads buried in the sand?:rolleyes: Better yet, just go through my archives and all these issues will become stunningly clear.

Do you seriously think the drones here will come back and post, "You know, Harv was right all along. I was a fricken idiot for buying one of these nightmares knowing what we know and even more of a moron for patronizing such a despicable entity as VW has proven to be over the past several years." Yea, right!:rolleyes:

Again, I did not predict these CRs would have such a devastating issue as the HPFP however, I knew we were in trouble with these CRs well before they were introduced here in NA. If you think I'm BS'ing, go further back in my archives to verify this.

I probably should be grateful for such as Ted says however, It's much easier to earn my living finding, preping, marketing, and selling TDIs as opposed to such big time, labor intensive repairs. Besides, the way it's been going for (4) four, I repeat, (4) four fricken model years now, I worry the TDI sales part of the business will virtually cease forcing me to retire early, relocate out of this republic, and eventually renouncing my citizenship of this republic due to the absolute and inevitable chaotic times our future holds of which I have also predicted quite a few years ago. How's that for a positive outlook? ;) Later!

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Just posted in 2010 forum, but maybe belongs here.

While I hate to prove Harvieux correct:

2009, with a June 2008 build, yes one of the first JSW's
Car runs fine, but with MIL on
Code: P0401, dealer also claiming P047F
Miles: 85,000
Oil: 507 spec only
Verdict: Nearly identicle to this thread. Due to part updates, my entire exhaust was VW's fix. The DPF, 2 Cats, EGR filter&flap
Price: $7,000 ($8,400 with a couple bad door latches that won't lock)
Warranty: 25% courtesy, for $5,100 net cost for just the tailpipe part

I declined work on the car and have ~3 months to inspection. I have VCDS, but haven't taken readings. The CR 2009's and 2010's are split in two forums, with more DPF issues reported in the other forum. People have had up to 4 DPF's installed after P0401 codes keep coming back. In my case, just one, after the 80,000 federal law coverage ended.

They are expecting payment for catalytic converters which aren't bad, and parts that are required becuase others have been updated. As others get into the 80K+ zone, I hope they come forward when/if they have emissions problems. I'm guessing they will when they get the bill.

Jet A

TDI
2009 Jetta
Reading this thread makes me glad I got my DPFectomy with EGR Delete. One less thing on the list to worry about. <sigh>