'09 JSW 6MT time for a new cruise control switch? VCDS thinks so...

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Driving home to eastern PA from visiting the in-laws in Pittsburgh on Monday, my cruise control stopped working about 100 miles from home. Yesterday and today's morning commute, the cruise worked once and then died. I ran VCDS last night and these error codes came up...

001384 - Cruise Control Switch (E45)
P0568 - 000 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 6
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 234187 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:09:36
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2277 /min
Speed: 119.0 km/h
Load: 40.8 %
Speed: 118.0 km/h
(no units): 255.0
(no units): 14.0
Bin. Bits: 10000001
005784 - Please Check DTC Memory of Steering Wheel Electronics
P1698 - 000 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 6
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 234187 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:09:37
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2277 /min
Speed: 119.0 km/h
Load: 40.0 %
Speed: 118.0 km/h
(no units): 255.0
(no units): 14.0
Bin. Bits: 11000001

Further down the report I found this:
Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 1K0-953-549-MY9.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 CQ HW: 1K0 953 549 CQ
Component: J0527 053 0111
Coding: 0000034
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 032B722D42D11F59C8-8056
1 Fault Found:
00895 - Cruise Control Switch (E45)
014 - Defective - Intermittent

I'm new to VCDS so i figured I'd get opinions from more seasoned users. Should I replace the CC switch (the multi function switch on the left side of the steering column) or is something deeper going on here?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
it seems the switch is going. you might want to operate the switch a couple times and see if that helps (we used to give the channel changer switch a couple ratchets which cleaned the contacts enough to watch more tv back in the day)

I have a similar problem with the buttons on the other side, on the wiper stalk.

does the cruise come back if you stop and restart the car? if so, you may decide you can live with the intermittent problem.

there seems to be a bit of a process to remove the steering wheel and replace these modules. but there are videos around, and folks here who may provide advice if you are inclined to change it yourself.

You also can use VCDS to check operation of the switches.

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
quite a few have had the CC/turn signal stalk go out. I changed out my turn signal stalk a few years ago. every time I used the right turn signal the cruise control would fault out until I turned the key off then back on. the dash indication would show '!' instead of the cruise control set speed. was not too hard and wrote up a little guide that I have sent to several people who also needed to change theirs. I can forward you the PM also if your planning on changing yourself.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
In case it helps you or someone else when they do a search...........

jetlagmech said:
Here is the E-note I sent to several people. hope it helps with your steering wheel also.

jetlagmech said:
jetlagmech said:
jetlagmech said:
first tools. need a triple square for steering wheel bolt. I have the XZN-100 kit. avail on amazon but got mine thru auto parts store. I believe its called size 12. in my kit its no. 112. and need t-25 torx, type on a screwdriver handle not a tip in a socket, thats too big to fit.

disconnect the battery first and touch the cables together to ensure everything is discharged, otherwise you'll get an airbag light that need VCDS to clear.

steering column adjust down and all the way out. the cover behind the steering wheel use a small screwdriver to split it apart both sides close to wheel, the top piece by wheel comes up off catches then pull towards you off the catches by dash. its still connected to dash by piece of rubber sheet. just lay it up out of way. with top cover loose there are 2 torx screws now uncovered behind steering wheel you can get to by turning steering wheel and one torx screw in a recess on bottom of lower cover. after screws are out remove lower cover from around ignition switch. yes you will be putting the key in and out of switch to unlock steering wheel several times. make sure the little rubber piece from around ign switch comes out with cover and is in its slots on lower cover.

didn't I tell you this was going to be longwinded !!!

now your ready to remove airbag. on back side of steering wheel there are two slotted holes. easiest to get to with wheel tuned about 45 degrees. there is a metal loop in each one that has to be pried inboard toward center. I found a paint can opener worked good but it still took me 20 tries the first time to release both sides. pull the spring over and pull that edge of airbag loose a little then do the other side. the airbag fits tight and will take a little to pull it loose. there are 2 electrical connectors on airbag after it comes loose.

SAFETY...set the airbag aside bag up so in case it goes off the metal mounting plate doesn't go flying. careful of static spark when going to pick it up. on installation the bag just snaps back in after hooking up the connectors.

now you can see the steering wheel bolt. take it out and look for the factory marks under it to recenter your wheel on installation, mark it and slide steering wheel off. I don't have torque spec, just did it by feel on installation.

now you have to pull out clockspring. to do that you have to remove the module in the way hanging on bottom of steering column. there is a little Phillips screw in front and 2 electrical connector releases, one in front and one in back. no coil of wire just solid plastic connectors. the module just comes straight down and off. the clockspring slides off now and the turn signal stalk slides out towards you.

after its all back together check the wiper control before you hook up battery. after battery back in and start it have to roll all windows down and up and turn steering wheel full left and right to clear the dash lights.

Now for disclaimer. I do not have Bentley manual and just did this job by looking and doing. there is probably a special tool for airbag removal. I did not mark my steering wheel and ended up removing again twice to get it centered. only took me 4 or 5 tries on airbag springs the last time:cool:. factory marks must be estimate only because they do not match on mine for steering wheel to be centered.

my turn signal stalk cost me about $93 +shipping from dealer mail order. riverside VW. list price $145.

good luck..... don't remember how long it took me but I was working slow and looking careful doing job. about 2 hours I think. any ?? just PM me or if during middle of job my phone is 702-712-1851

Rory

good luck, its nice to have cruise control again. I was without it for 6 months.
I did this enote for someone else and they changed theirs. he said the only trouble he had with it was figuring the lock on the stalk itself to slide it off. I don't remember that specific but don't remember having a problem with that myself. I think it was something like moving the stalk to right or left turn that pulls back a pin. I remember looking at the new one to figure it out.
I have just recently finally got a Bentley manual. When I checked it said to torque the steering wheel bolt to 37 lbft +90 deg. that seems way too tight for me and mine was not that tight coming off. other that that the manual was very generic and no specific tips. good luck......Rory

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Mine failed because the 'too short' yellow wire inside the harness broke. I got a new stalk from a wrecked Passat, $25 and two hours of my own labour and VOILA! I had a working cruise control again. Fixed another guy's when it broke too! Just remember to put the steering wheel on straight (line up the two notches).