07 TDI, high mileage, engine weirdness, should I buy?

vinistois

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf wagon tdi
So I'm looking at a 2007 TDI. Has 170k on the clock.

It is essentially in perfect condition. Not a dent or scratch, interior is mint. Was used as a commuting vehicle, 100kms/day on the highway.

I will be driving it this whole week, but haven't committed to buying it yet. It drives perfectly most of the time. The power level feels about right, the noise level, and vibrations.

However, once in awhile (has happened to me twice), the idle will get a little wonky. It still sounds the same, and the revs don't bounce, but it just feels a little horny inside the car. Its sort of... rumbly, like a minor earthquake or something. When this happens, there is much less power, like about half as much. No lights on the dash, no smoke, nothing else abnormal.

What could cause these symptoms? Should I be worried?

The car is a really good deal, at just over $10k. I am buying it from the company I work for, they have leased it since new. All service records check out @ the dealership, no major repair work has been performed. So I'm not being 'stiffed', as far as anyone knows, its a perfect car.

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
2007?

I thought there were no 07's - from the front page of this site: "There are three main generations of TDI's found in North America. The first generation was available till 2004 used a distributor-type fuel pump and are designated VE engines and were 1.9l in size. After that VW introduced the Pumpe-Düse (unit injector) engines (PD for short) that were sold in Canada and the US from 2004 till 2006. The third and latest generation of TDI engines which finally arrived in 2008 are common rail and call a 'Clean Diesel'. As you can see there was a bit of a hiatus on the availability of TDI's during 2007 which was due to changes in US and Canadian emission regulations."

vinistois

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf wagon tdi
it does feel like it could be clutch related. The frequency of vibrations tells me its a symptom of the whole engine, not a single cylinder.

I don't know if it is actually a 2007, build date is late 2006. It is a PD.

Is this clutch balance problem a potential deal-breaker?

vinistois

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf wagon tdi
no no its a PD for sure. manufactured 11/06 so I figured it for a 2007. My bad.

Anyways... I'm fairly certain its the DMF. The feeling is apparent through the clutch pedal. What is the best way to know for sure?

Looks like around $600 in parts/tools for the repair... Not quite a deal-breaker.

mnguy

TDI
2006 jetta
Is the vibration just at idle? Does it stop when you turn the ac on or rev the engine just slightly above idle? The cam timing is adjustable and can be done with simple hand tools and no vagcom. There is a big thread on it, but one page explains how to adjust it the mechanical tdc way and without vagcom.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=215202&highlight=rough+idle

Did it to mine when I first bought it and it took 20min and was a world of difference. I bought a 06 package 1 mint last year for $8,500, for a reference on price.