06 or 09 Jetta TDI?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
First off let me start by saying, Hello to all. This is my first post in this forum. I have been thinking really hard for a long while about getting a VW Jetta TDI, and I have now decided it is time!

My question to all of you VW TDI experts out there, is.
Should I buy an 06' or an 09'? What are the pros and cons of each one, and what kind of mileage difference is there between the two? I will be looking for one that is pretty well loaded and an automatic, since the wife won't learn how to drive a manual.

I have recently test driven a new 09' and loved it! So I'm defenitly sold on TDI Jetta, just not sure if I should buy new one or a used proven model year?

Thanks in advance for all the advise.

Jason

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
D-Cell_Mekanick said:
First off let me start by saying, Hello to all. This is my first post in this forum. I have been thinking really hard for a long while about getting a VW Jetta TDI, and I have now decided it is time!

My question to all of you VW TDI experts out there, is.
Should I buy an 06' or an 09'? What are the pros and cons of each one, and what kind of mileage difference is there between the two? I will be looking for one that is pretty well loaded and an automatic, since the wife won't learn how to drive a manual.

I have recently test driven a new 09' and loved it! So I'm defenitly sold on TDI Jetta, just not sure if I should buy new one or a used proven model year?

Thanks in advance for all the advise.

Jason
Welcome aboard, Jason. There is a ton of information as to the pros and cons of both units and you may want to try and search for pertinent input and make a decision based on your own research.

At this time I am biased towards the PD A5s for many reasons but, would definately consider changing this mindset once they have been around for a couple/few years to work out possible bugs. The predecessors from the 1Z to BRM have had a couple/few years of European Guinea pigging B4 introduction to the NA market and which was not the case for the new CR TDI. Later!

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
06 vs. 09

As Harvieux stated there is lots of detailed info scattered around this board.

IMHO, the real choice is what kind of gamble do you want to take. The short answer:

2009. New technology (exhaust at least), long-term reliability unknown. However, more power, quieter operation, and a warranty. Power mods are still limited and unproven.

2006 Used car - general and maintenance history probably mostly unknown. Condition (internal) mostly unknown. No warranty. However 5 - 10+ mpg better mileage. Ability to run on BioDiesel (no fancy emissions stuff). Less power (however many mods exist that can change this).

Also consider this: A 2006 diesel that has been well maintained should still be in very good shape, therefore, they are not often for sale. Whenever buying a used car be on the lookout for re-built, wrecked, and flood damaged vehicles. Recent weather events have put a lot of these into the market.

Either way

Have fun!

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
You can still find 06's in warranty because they have a 4/50 B-B and a 5/60 powertrain.

The 09 has a 3/36 B-B and 5/60 powertrain (someone please correct me if this is wrong).

Some 06's I've seen are almost ten grand less than 09's...

Do you or do you not want a $3,000 exhaust system?

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
velociT said:
You can still find 06's in warranty because they have a 4/50 B-B and a 5/60 powertrain.
The 09 has a 3/36 B-B and 5/60 powertrain (someone please correct me if this is wrong).
Some 06's I've seen are almost ten grand less than 09's...
Do you or do you not want a $3,000 exhaust system?
As long as the exhaust system is under warranty, I am not too concerned about the cost of replacement.
This may be where extended warranties can be an option worth considering? (I am certainly starting my research on them, since I own an 09 )

broadspring

TDI
2012 Vw passat tdi
new jetta 09 or used 06

I am in same dilemma prices are down for the jetta TDI it seems at around 20-21k and I thought the warranty was 5yr-50k mi.? I'm looking for one, son wrecked 1996 passat tdi, love hate car. What's the problem or advantage of Green diesel car, shouldnt we be able to get around the vw technolgy w/ superior tech, exhaust, programming and such nice thing no emission testing on diesels in MD.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Thanks for the warm welcome people!
So back to the original post, what's better? I see that the older 06 model will get better mileage but has less power? If that's correct, and as stated above, you can mod it to make the same or maybe more power. But can that be done without hurting the mpg? And if so what mods are to be done? I'm a diesel mechanic by trade, (hense the user name) but, the engines I work on are about 100 time the displacement of these dinky things! Or roughly 11,000-12,000 C.I.D. Compared to these 120 something cube in engines. And mine run bout 15 psi @ idle!
So what mods will I need? I'm guessing, tune, downpipe and catback and maybe nozzles/injectors? Is that about it? And if so what does this cost?
I have a 90 mile round trip drive to work, with about 70% highway drive. I'd like to see @ least 50 mpg! Is this possible? I know drive a 06' Chevy Monte Carlo SS, has a LS4 5.3L V8, stock 303hp, but not quite stock anymore! I got me another kid on the way and need a good realibale 4door, with plenty of mpg, as I'm sure money will get tight when the cost of fuel goes up again.
So if I do get an 06 it will prolly be a cert. used dealer car with some warranty. I don't want to mess that up with major mods that can be found by warranty work. I don't mind de-modding so they can't see the obvious! But don't want to put a lot of effort into that either.
Gosh this is getting long. To sum it up: I don't mind a used car (will find one with bout 30K one the clock). But I don't mind a new one either! Granted used will be $6-8K cheaper, and may get better mileage? Or not? But are there anyother differances between the two? All this VW jargon is new to me, like model #'s and engine #'s. I can tell ya the difference between a Chevy LS1 all the way to LS9 but not a Vdub engine code!
Thanks again for all the help! :),

Jason

Last edited:

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order
funoutdoors121 said:
As long as the exhaust system is under warranty, I am not too concerned about the cost of replacement.
This may be where extended warranties can be an option worth considering? (I am certainly starting my research on them, since I own an 09 )
The catalytic converters in the exhaust (which are the expensive parts, and there are three of them) are warranted by federal law for 8 years, 80K miles (also ECU and o2 sensors). I'm considering an extended warranty, but none that I have seen so far covers the exhaust system, so we are on our own past 80K miles for these parts.

TDIMOFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jstta TDI
First of all it is a loaded question. It sounds like you want US to do the research for you. Do it yourself.
I highly recomend that before you buy either automobile that you test drive each car in the EXACT configuration you are looking for. This experience alone may answer the question for you. For some people the way a car handles and the quality of the ride are highly important and are subjective. Only YOU can determine what kind of ride quality you are looking for.
If you want to save money then buy the used car.
If you want a vastly superior (from a technical point of view), Safer, Faster, Quieter, Automobile then buy an '09/10 tdi. Those features, safety, speed, quietness, are not subjective, they are measured and tested.

The current TDI is a VERY high quality automobile. The drivetrain is a TOP OF THE LINE very high tech (engine of the year) engine. We are not "testers" of the common rail technology. It is clearly the way to go in terms of diesel technology, EVERY diesel engine manufacture of note is building engines based on common rail diesel technology. "HICK UPS" are highly unlikly. The exaust system is built completly from STAINLESS STEEL components. When you go and buy your car do yourself a favor and have the seller and dealer lift the car for you so that you may inspect the vehicle from below. One thing you will notice is the quality of the exaust/emission system. It is in a word quite fantastic. This system being that it is part of the emissions system falls under different rules when it comes to the warrantee. Besides that once you see that exaust from below you will realize that it is unlikley to fail. Heavy duty is an understatement.

The Engine used in the TDI has been "detuned" to some degree. being capable of atleast 30 more HP than it puts out. If left alone this engine will last a VERY LONG TIME as a result of the way it has been set up in the jetta.

OK Now go do some real research and figure it out for yourself.
TDIMOFO

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
TDIMOFO its not a loaded question. The fact is I know nothing about these cars. As for research, I'm hardly ever at a computer, all I have is my BlackBerry. And its hard as hell to do research on it, takes forever! When I get to a real PC I'll do some good research, just thought you all wouldn't mind giving some input as to what you think about the two.

I thought the 06 and the 09 are basically the same car. With the exception on the new engine. The body looks the same the interior looks the same? Am I wrong? Are there other differences between the two?

I have found a low mileage 06 loaded, for $18000 has like 28K miles on it. I'll try to get out to the place that has it and give it a test drive as soon as I get some time.

Thanks again.

Jason

Harvieux

TDI
TDIMOFO said:
First of all it is a loaded question. It sounds like you want US to do the research for you. Do it yourself.
I highly recomend that before you buy either automobile that you test drive each car in the EXACT configuration you are looking for. This experience alone may answer the question for you. For some people the way a car handles and the quality of the ride are highly important and are subjective. Only YOU can determine what kind of ride quality you are looking for.
If you want to save money then buy the used car.
If you want a vastly superior (from a technical point of view), Safer, Faster, Quieter, Automobile then buy an '09/10 tdi. Those features, safety, speed, quietness, are not subjective, they are measured and tested.

The current TDI is a VERY high quality automobile. The drivetrain is a TOP OF THE LINE very high tech (engine of the year) engine. We are not "testers" of the common rail technology. It is clearly the way to go in terms of diesel technology, EVERY diesel engine manufacture of note is building engines based on common rail diesel technology. "HICK UPS" are highly unlikly. The exaust system is built completly from STAINLESS STEEL components. When you go and buy your car do yourself a favor and have the seller and dealer lift the car for you so that you may inspect the vehicle from below. One thing you will notice is the quality of the exaust/emission system. It is in a word quite fantastic. This system being that it is part of the emissions system falls under different rules when it comes to the warrantee. Besides that once you see that exaust from below you will realize that it is unlikley to fail. Heavy duty is an understatement.

The Engine used in the TDI has been "detuned" to some degree. being capable of atleast 30 more HP than it puts out. If left alone this engine will last a VERY LONG TIME as a result of the way it has been set up in the jetta.

OK Now go do some real research and figure it out for yourself.
TDIMOFO
How do you arrive at the conclusion that an 09 is safer than an 05.5 or 06?

It's not so much the quality of the exhaust system components that I have reservations about, it's the many sensors incorporated within as well as how it will handle the extreme exposure of a rust belt beating.

I also think it's a bit early to claim a no "HICK UPS" theory to this brand new CR engine when it hasn't even had time to run past the warranty in most cases as of yet. A good example may be the PD engine regarding some small percentage of the cam wear issues that were only discovered after they accumulated some miles. Remember what I specified above regarding all NA predecessor TDI engines having the 2-3 year Euro Guinea pig session before introduction. Not so for this CR, right?;)

The right tune for the 05.5-06 will actually out perform a stock CR but, I still have to give that one to you for an out of the box advantage.

So, my conclusion to all this would be that the CR is definately quieter and cleaner but, that quietness and cleanliness cost you a bundle in overall fuel mileage, warranty, available options comparitively, and cost, eh? Oh, and *** is going to fix them? "roll eyes" Later!

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Me thinks a good used MY06 or MY06.5 with Pkg 1 or the elusive Pkg 2 with time and mileage left on the 4/50k new car warranty would be super buy. Additionaly there's the 5/60k drive train warranty.
Dress it up with the newest Navi,,, or not. Anyway a nice good used car, No?

Used: less initial outlay in Dollars, well into the vehicle depreciation curve, etc. Three things come to mind for me; money, money, and Moe money..

New: You can have it your way! Bring money, Moe money in the form of higher taxes, license fee's, insurance, etc. Don't get me wrong I like new . . . only pointing out the opportunity of a similarly positioned MY06 TDI - given the market.

It's just a freak'in car... however who can challenge the time honored "new model unproven arguement". In this case there is the simple difference of the complex re-gen exhaust. Read warrantied! So who gives a sh-it up until 80k miles. After 80k miles the expense, if any is your's of course.

In either case, brings money and takes yer chances....

Last edited:

chilehead19

Veteran Member
TDI
. 2014 Sportwagen TDi for me 2011 2dr golf for my wife
Personally I would feel better about a new jetta than a used one. You will know what oil has been used and you can break it in properly yourself.

Harvieux

TDI
chilehead19 said:
Personally I would feel better about a new jetta than a used one. You will know what oil has been used and you can break it in properly yourself.
That's what the message in my signature is all about. Read it, absorb it, and all will be as good as it could possibly be. Any questions?:rolleyes: Later!

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
AHUs are simpler than ALHs are simpler than BEW/BRMs are simpler than '09s (Too new, what are the letter codes?).

I'd honestly go with a BEW/BRM. Just because of the DPF/regen issues.

TDIMOFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jstta TDI
darkscout said:
AHUs are simpler than ALHs are simpler than BEW/BRMs are simpler than '09s (Too new, what are the letter codes?).

I'd honestly go with a BEW/BRM. Just because of the DPF/regen issues.
What regen DPF/REGEN issues?

The Electronic Stability Control makes the 09 Jetta safer for the driver/passengers as well as other drivers on the road around it. Think of it as the vaccine theory. VW has had several years to refine the safety systems on board the new jettas. You don't actually beleive that VW just stopped working on the safety systems in the jetta 4 years ago do you? Generally VW is ahead of the safety curve.
Improvements may not be obvious since they may be built into computer systems code and hidden inside airbag systems.

What is true is that the safety ratings remain much the same between the 06 and 09 vehicles. That doesn't mean that there have not been improvments made, and new systems added that work behind the scenes.

An 18,000 06 jetta is available to the OP. I am not sure that the difference between this 18K car and the cost of a NEW car is large enough to convince me to buy the used vehicle.
Again, The proof is in the pudding. Go drive these cars. What we say, ALL OF US, is completly meaningless untill you go out and truly eduacate yourself. Car buying research? Research has little to do with a computer except to learn some basics and get some pricing information.
The real research is the walk around (with a TRUSTED MECHANIC) of the used car. As well as a walkaround of the NEW car with a sales person who know the car like the back of his hand. I can't even begin to tell you how much the sales person missed when explaining the TDI to me in the presale walkaround. I knew little and it was more than him.

LOOK UNDER THE CAR!! I know this might sound nuts but there is a lot to see under these cars not the least of which is the quality level at which the new (and the 06's) were built at. It is good to be able to see how beat up (or not) the under side of the used car is.
Do not even think of buying this used car with out a thorogh going over by a Mechanic that knows the VW Jetta DEISEL drive train!!! You are opening yourself up to a potiential disaster without doing this. Get a carfax report if there is not one available for the car WALK AWAY. Service records!! A well maintained car will last longer and be worth more to the seller. You will pay more for a well maintained vehicle as well. If you do not plan on using the services of a Qualified VW mechanic to make the purchase you might just as well buy the new car.
TDIMOFO

Harvieux

TDI
TDIMOFO said:
What regen DPF/REGEN issues?

The Electronic Stability Control makes the 09 Jetta safer for the driver/passengers as well as other drivers on the road around it. Think of it as the vaccine theory. VW has had several years to refine the safety systems on board the new jettas. You don't actually beleive that VW just stopped working on the safety systems in the jetta 4 years ago do you? Generally VW is ahead of the safety curve.
Improvements may not be obvious since they may be built into computer systems code and hidden inside airbag systems.

What is true is that the safety ratings remain much the same between the 06 and 09 vehicles. That doesn't mean that there have not been improvments made, and new systems added that work behind the scenes.

An 18,000 06 jetta is available to the OP. I am not sure that the difference between this 18K car and the cost of a NEW car is large enough to convince me to buy the used vehicle.
Again, The proof is in the pudding. Go drive these cars. What we say, ALL OF US, is completly meaningless untill you go out and truly eduacate yourself. Car buying research? Research has little to do with a computer except to learn some basics and get some pricing information.
The real research is the walk around (with a TRUSTED MECHANIC) of the used car. As well as a walkaround of the NEW car with a sales person who know the car like the back of his hand. I can't even begin to tell you how much the sales person missed when explaining the TDI to me in the presale walkaround. I knew little and it was more than him.

LOOK UNDER THE CAR!! I know this might sound nuts but there is a lot to see under these cars not the least of which is the quality level at which the new (and the 06's) were built at. It is good to be able to see how beat up (or not) the under side of the used car is.
Do not even think of buying this used car with out a thorogh going over by a Mechanic that knows the VW Jetta DEISEL drive train!!! You are opening yourself up to a potiential disaster without doing this. Get a carfax report if there is not one available for the car WALK AWAY. Service records!! A well maintained car will last longer and be worth more to the seller. You will pay more for a well maintained vehicle as well. If you do not plan on using the services of a Qualified VW mechanic to make the purchase you might just as well buy the new car.
TDIMOFO
Show me any 05.5-06 A5 that doesn't have ESP. This includes the base pkg. 0 models. I do not have any evidence that the 05.5-06 has less safety capability built into the ESP programming but based on your above input, the 09 is superior. Please enlighten us with facts without fluff.:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I think VW spent all it's R&D resources on the emissions devices along with devising ways to cut costs such as decontenting items. Have you ever checked out a loaded up 05.5 or 06 pkg.2? It makes me sick that we can't even pay to have the options some of us had the pleasure of experiencing in the recent past.:rolleyes: But, that's just me and *** do I know, eh? ;) Later!

Orygun

TDI
'10 Jetta sedan, '11 Jetta Sportwagen
darkscout said:
The ones that show up at 150k/250k/350k miles.
OK, I've tried to do a search and came up empty. What issues are those that show up at 150K/250K/350K? Who has even gotten their cars up into those mileages to find out?:confused:

TDIMOFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jstta TDI
Harvieux said:
Show me any 05.5-06 A5 that doesn't have ESP. This includes the base pkg. 0 models. I do not have any evidence that the 05.5-06 has less safety capability built into the ESP programming but based on your above input, the 09 is superior. Please enlighten us with facts without fluff.:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I think VW spent all it's R&D resources on the emissions devices along with devising ways to cut costs such as decontenting items. Have you ever checked out a loaded up 05.5 or 06 pkg.2? It makes me sick that we can't even pay to have the options some of us had the pleasure of experiencing in the recent past.:rolleyes: But, that's just me and *** do I know, eh? ;) Later!
I was only passing on information that I found on the VW of A web site.
They do not list esp as a safety feature of the 06 Jetta.
Sorry I may have made a mistake.
Since you are so big on facts why not explain what VW HAS been spending their time and R and D money on?
I am not sure that what you "THINK" has happened is completely accurate.
More conjecture/fluff?

I know that you have a vested interest as a USED TDI SALES PERSON.
Why aren't you doing your best to educate the OP (and myself) instead of attacking.
Maybe simply correcting my statement instead of challenging me would provide more useful information.

*** do you know?
Emissions R and D is not cheap. VW is not alone in this research.
VW has a vested interest in keeping VW owners alive and safe. I submit to you that VW continues to research and develop safety systems both behind the scenes as well as safety hardware and that the results of this work is present in the 09 Jetta and that some of these safety features may not be present in a 4 year old vehicle.
Of course I may be wrong. *** do I know? Maybe nothing. But then again..
Since you are so knowledgeable why not spend some of your valuable time helping him out instead of pursuing me since clearly I know nothing....

I still say that the best thing the OP can do is get a trusted mechanic (not a used car sales person who is a mechanic) and do a walk around and test drive. This is the most valuable use of your time as a perspective buyer.

TDIMOFO

Dieselbum

TDI
'09 Jetta, Blue Graphite, DSG, 17" avignon
This is humorous! Hey look over there. Its Santa Claus in the fuel thread. :D

Back to the OP. I love my 09, it is the best car out there! :rolleyes: Try both and if buying used DO YOUR RESEARCH here and listen to some of the veterans/gurus. There are numorous threads where people bought used and got screwed. Pros and cons to both YMs though. Best of Luck and Welcome.

Harvieux

TDI
TDIMOFO said:
I was only passing on information that I found on the VW of A web site.
They do not list esp as a safety feature of the 06 Jetta.
Sorry I may have made a mistake.
Since you are so big on facts why not explain what VW HAS been spending their time and R and D money on?
I am not sure that what you "THINK" has happened is completely accurate.
More conjecture/fluff?

I know that you have a vested interest as a USED TDI SALES PERSON.
Why aren't you doing your best to educate the OP (and myself) instead of attacking.
Maybe simply correcting my statement instead of challenging me would provide more useful information.

*** do you know?
Emissions R and D is not cheap. VW is not alone in this research.
VW has a vested interest in keeping VW owners alive and safe. I submit to you that VW continues to research and develop safety systems both behind the scenes as well as safety hardware and that the results of this work is present in the 09 Jetta and that some of these safety features may not be present in a 4 year old vehicle.
Of course I may be wrong. *** do I know? Maybe nothing. But then again..
Since you are so knowledgeable why not spend some of your valuable time helping him out instead of pursuing me since clearly I know nothing....

I still say that the best thing the OP can do is get a trusted mechanic (not a used car sales person who is a mechanic) and do a walk around and test drive. This is the most valuable use of your time as a perspective buyer.

TDIMOFO
It gets a bit old having to quash "shoot from the hip" posting noobs so, I will ask you to resort to doing a search through my archives of past posts to where I personally visited the one and only emissions testing lab for VOA in all of NA back before the 2-3 year TDI drought. The head engineer Bernard Sukow (sp?) (from Germany) there at the facility specifically told me that big $$ will have to go into the R&D of emission systems and therefore there will be no choice but to raise prices or decontent the product.

I started off quite subtle with my post to the OP's request and then you came blowharding in with false representations and I thought it was my duty to quash such as I have always done in the past.

All of this stuff has been gone through here on this venue including research as to why bioD should not be used in this CR engine. I was in the thick of all this and all one needs to do is search.

Yes, everyone here knows that I am nothing more than a used car salesman and a mechanic yet, I don't hold a DMV salesman's license.;) I love the way you put that into the realm of a personal attack but, *** do I know, eh?:rolleyes: Later!

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Correct again Harv, even my pk0 06 has ESP.

Yes MOFO, the 09's are nice, but it's pretty much an 06 with a new motor/trans and a ton of emissions crap.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Thanks for all the great input guys! It def helps! The 06' w/30K miles sold over the weekend, but I have found another 06' w/26K miles with a great carfax that lists all of the maintance. Basically oil changes every 5K miles or so. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow, I'll let ya all know what I think.

FWIW I think that the 06 will do. But I have to consider warranty and interest rates along with the tax credit, before I make my final decision. It looks like I will pay about $6K less for the '06 than the '09. So that helps, plus I can use some of that money for Navi, nozzles and tune! Might help to make it feel more like an 09!

Can anyone tell me if radio steering wheel controls are an option on the '06? I like that feature.

Thanks again guys and gals!

Jason

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Orygun said:
Who has even gotten their cars up into those mileages to find out?:confused:
Exactly. Unless you like being a VW Guinea pig, get the '06. More Miles.

Plus DPFs are fragile little things.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
So I finally got around to driving an '06. Let me say this, I don't think I will be happy with that little power. It is a total slug taking off with the a/c on.

So I may be just looking for a new Jetta. After all, if I am paying for more power I might as well have it under warranty. The CPO car gets an additional 2 year B-B warranty, so I can't do any major mods to it till that has ended.

Time to crunch some #'s.

Orygun

TDI
'10 Jetta sedan, '11 Jetta Sportwagen
I have an '05 MkIV Jetta TDI and an '09 TDI JSW. The '05 has performance tuning installed (from Kerma TDI). The '09 simply blows it away. I was perfectly happy with the '05 w/ the tuning until my girlfriend bought an '09 Jetta TDI and I drove it, and I was never happy with the '05 again (I know it's a different body style etc, MKIV vs MKV, but it's the same PD TDI engine as those in the 05.5'-06's). I bought my '09 TDI JSW and have never looked back. Just my opinion, but there it is.

Last edited:

Harvieux

TDI
Orygun said:
I have an '05 MkIV Jetta TDI and an '09 TDI JSW. The '05 has performance tuning installed (from Kerma TDI). The '09 simply blows it away. I was perfectly happy with the '05 w/ the tuning until my girlfriend bought an '09 Jetta TDI and I drove it, and I was never happy with the '05 again (I know it's a different body style etc, MKIV vs MKV, but it's the same PD TDI engine as those in the 05.5'-06's). I bought my '09 TDI JSW and have never looked back. Just my opinion, but there it is.
You are wrong! Your 05 MkIV has a BEW engine and the 05.5-06 A5 has a BRM engine. A properly tuned 05.5-06 will out perform a stock 09. It doesn't blow it away by any stretch but, it will have a bit more power and quite a bit better fuel mileage to boot when driven at the same pace. Later!