06 Jetta gelling?

realsteel23

TDI
06 Jetta
So I just bought my 06 jetta. It's been -5 degrees or so here for a week. I put hot shots anti gell in it. The same stuff I use in my truck never had an issue. But tonight I was driving the jetta and all of a sudden it started shuttering I thought the dsg went out. Then the glow plug light started flashing. No CEL the car shifts fine but if you gave it fuel it'd shutter. So I limped it back to town. The light went out and ran fine. Was the fuel gelling up?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Could be the fuel filter needs replaced. But a code reader would tell you what code came on.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So I just bought my 06 jetta. It's been -5 degrees or so here for a week. I put hot shots anti gell in it. The same stuff I use in my truck never had an issue. But tonight I was driving the jetta and all of a sudden it started shuttering I thought the dsg went out. Then the glow plug light started flashing. No CEL the car shifts fine but if you gave it fuel it'd shutter. So I limped it back to town. The light went out and ran fine. Was the fuel gelling up?
Look for a boost leak. I can trouble shoot if you want more info.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The fuel filter could have been icing up due to water from condensation in the fuel :eek: and not actually gelling. Glad you got it fixed. -5F temps are cold enough for icing due to water but still too warm for gelling, assuming the fuel is properly winterized and/or the anti-gel additive took care of any gelling. Even with properly winterized fuel, icing due to water from condensation can get you in trouble long before gelling will.

Avoid water in diesel fuel at ALL costs. :eek: Avoiding water in diesel fuel is more important during winter months in cold areas due to condensation being more of a problem. Fuel up ONLY at high turnover stations along major routes that get lots of heavy truck traffic. Go where the big rigs go to fuel up. Also regularly use an additive to take care of any water you can't avoid getting.