'06 Jetta Engine Stalling

Dennis T

TDI
2006 tdi
Hi Everyone. I hope someone can point me in right direction. I've had this jetta for abt 6months now. Other than a few minor hiccups it has run beautifully. Recently it would occasionally sputter a bit around 80kmph but then clear up. Sometimes, taking off from a stop, you'd hit the gas but there'd be nothing there and it would stall but start right back up. Now, it has progressed to where instead of sputtering at higher speed, it smokes, pings, rattles and loses power till it dies. Sometimes it clears up after sitting for a few minutes but definitely not reliable. Anybody ever run into this before?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, start there.

Also, the fuel filter schedule is every other service. They are not kidding. Neglected fuel filters on PD engines cause all sorts of strange things.

Dennis T

TDI
2006 tdi
Thank You "O.H." I haven't done a thing to this car since I got it so I reckon I should start there. Just hoping I don't have a blown turbo seal or something.

oilhammer

TDI
What platform/engine do you have? There were two completely different 2006 Jettas for Canada. The A5 sedan with the BRM engine and the A4 wagon with the BEW engine.

Dennis T

TDI
2006 tdi
Jeez, you know what, I don't have a clue. I'll have to go check and get back to you on that. I've driven mostly chev & gm all my life. I picked up this jetta for the fuel savings. I'm a licensed car truck and coach mechanic but this is all new to me.

Dennis T

TDI
2006 tdi
Didn't know what you meant sedan/wagon. LOL. I reckon it's a sedan. For some reason I can't picture a VW station wagon. I'll have to search images to see what a vw jetta station wagon looks like.

oilhammer

TDI
So it is an A5, with a BRM engine. All kinds of things can go wrong with those related to bad engine harnesses. In any event, you still need to ask the car if it can help. OnBoard Diagnostics. OBD.

This is an A4 station wagon:

This is an A5 sedan:

Both could be 2006 Jettas. They look nothing alike, and share hardly any parts.

Dennis T

TDI
2006 tdi
Yeah, thanks. Maybe it's just me but I haven't noticed and vw stn wagons here in ontario. Now that I seen one I'll probably see them all the time now. Gotta head off to work now but I'll get out my scanner later and see what we got. The harness issue could be a good lead to because it does some other weird things like a marker light staying on or sometimes the sunroof opens on its own. Thanks for the advice. TTYL.

oilhammer

TDI
I was gonna say, they were SO popular there that Volkswagen continued selling them for another whole model year, so somebody up there was buying them!

Dennis T

TDI
2006 tdi
Thanks very much to tdi forum members for the advice on engine stalling. I replaced fuel filter. So easy and reasonably priced I got greedy and replaced air filter too. Good thing too because as filthy as fuel filter was, air filter was way worse. Totally full of crap and cracked to the point contaminants were getting through. Engine runs good again. Kinda gutless at first (I figure was just air pockets in fuel) but cleared up after abt. 80km. I never would have thought a plugged filter could cause so much calamity. So, thanks again y'all.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Choke yourself and try sprinting..... it's similar to what happens to an engine if it can't breathe or get fuel and you ask it to make power.

Dennis T

TDI
2006 tdi
I guess my car had "auto erotic issues". LOL
Seriously, I've had clogged fuel filters and/or ran out of gas before (usually GM) but nothing ever acted like this jetta. Man, smoking, pinging, lurching. I thought for sure my turbo seal or timing chain were pooched. Scanner comes up P2564(turbo boost control) and P0404 (egr). Could have been triggered by the fuel issue. I'll put a few miles on and recheck. Thank You everyone for the input.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Toss that generic scanner into your toolbox and keep it for whatever else you family drives.... invest in a proper VCDS interface if you intend to be able to diagnose and\or fix your VAG going forward.

Dennis T

TDI
2006 tdi
Hmm, that sounds like a complicated, expensive venture. I'm used to just banging rocks together. I will research this thing of which you speak. Thank You.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You've chosen the wrong vehicle to drive if you want to continue being a caveman.
Interface
It will quickly pay for itself.... especially if you're trying to deal with steering assist issues "blindly".

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Was the air filter dirty from the intake side? As in black soot on the clean side of the filter?