06 Jetta CCV Mod with parts from TSC

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Preparing to do the CCV mod on my 06 Jetta with the parts from my local Tractor Supply Company.

I'll post pictures of the parts first.

Bigger, higher res. pictures of all parts below are available in my gallery as well.

It's called a 3/4" Polystrainer and is pictured here:

Here are all the parts once the bottom half is removed.

A close up of the outside of the mesh screen. The outside screen is a bit more coarse than the inner.

Here you can see the much finer inner screen:

Here are the connectors. Not sure which ones I'll use yet. Depends on how the hoses are routed and the unit is mounted.

The elbow connectors came from TSC and the part number as stated elsewhere is EL 3434.

I also found some straight connectors at Lowes. Watts A-590 is the part number of this type.

Next, we get dirty in order to try and clean up the 06 Jetta TDI oil in the intake mess I posted pictures of in the 2005.5 intake cleaning thread here.

Stay tuned!

deuskid

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta GLS, dark green, stock, 120K miles
Hman-

Very interesting. Roughly how much did all the parts cost. This looks like it could also work on earlier TDIs.

I might want to try fitting it on my A3.

Thx,

John

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
Looks like it might work. Are you planning to fill the area inside the screen with some stainless mesh (stainless wool, etc.)? That would increase the surface area and make this an even better coalescing filter.

Question: Are you planning to periodically empty the oil from this container, or is there some way to fix a hose on the bottom of the can and let it drain back to the crankcase? Maybe a PCV valve in that drain line (working like a check valve) would keep positive pressure pulses from blowing the oil the wrong way. On the negative pulses, oil returns to the crankcase. Think it would work?

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
I'll dig through my receipts and post a total. I think I have about $30 in all you see in the pictures.

If you don't have a TSC local, the guy that came up with this will actually send you a kit. Search for KCTDI-CCV for all the action. Try this link.

I've even seen a nice PDF document on it. TDI club member Kevin01 did a real nice job on his too. Check out his posts ... very professional.

TDiForMe

TDI
Jetta '06 Platinum Gray
Here's my version of the Tractor Supply CCV filter. I cobbled together all the tubing. There are many angle changes to reach the various points, especially to the air intake port, thus the super flexible, corregated, non-kinking tubing (don't ask me where I got it, not available to normal beings). I was concerned about torquing at this port and was careful that there was none. The 3/4" braided vinyl is too stiff to make all the turns comfortably. I don't know if the tubing it will hold up to the underhood heat, but I'll monitor it closely.

You need a 1" ID tubing to connect at the ivalve cover and air intake. The 3/4" braided vinyl will not fit, even heated. The TS filter is attached to the dipstick attachment using alunimum bar stock as described in another thread (thanks).

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
TDiForMe said:
Here's my version of the Tractor Supply CCV filter. I cobbled together all the tubing. There are many angle changes to reach the various points, especially to the air intake port, thus the super flexible, corregated, non-kinking tubing (don't ask me where I got it, not available to normal beings).
Hmmm, looks strangely like a hose off of a really old 1960s woman's hair dryer...:rolleyes:

TDiForMe

TDI
Jetta '06 Platinum Gray
CADtechTDi said:
Hmmm, looks strangely like a hose off of a really old 1960s woman's hair dryer...:rolleyes:
You're not even warm (pun intended) :D.

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
TDiForMe said:
thus the super flexible, corregated, non-kinking tubing (don't ask me where I got it, not available to normal beings).
NASA ?

mrpat2

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2001 green, 1999 beetle tdi blue
I did the same exact thing to my 01 tdi. Got the parts from tractor supply too! At oil changes I get about 2 TBS of oil. That should prevent the intake from clogging . As long as you keep the hoses running downhill it should collect ok.