06 Jetta BRM Clutch job

D

DieselFarmer95

Got a 06 That just rolled over 185k and is starting to give me the DMF issues and significant clutch slippage. I am wondering what anyone has done when they have replaced their clutch and DMF? I Plan on keeping the car mostly stock with a 1+ tune.

vova

Veteran
TDI
2006 jetta tdi
Mine has 188k and I'm replacing mine next week with a south bend endurance clutch since I'm going with a bigger turbo and a stage 2 malone tune.
I would recommend the south bend daily driver. Both are SMF.

D

DieselFarmer95

Has anyone ever truly experienced the terrors and problems of going from a DMF to a SMF on a 5 speed manual?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Has anyone ever truly experienced the terrors and problems of going from a DMF to a SMF on a 5 speed manual?

I have probably installed 500+ conversion kits by now. Sachs, Valeo, Luk, and others, in all types of cars from BMWs to Nissans to Rams and yes a boatload of 5sp TDIs as well as other VAG products. Just did a 2004 AWP (1.8t) Jetta yesterday. Never had an issue.

I think the Sachs is a little stronger than the Valeo, so if you have any mild power mods with the BRM I'd get the Sachs kit.

Sand Bag

TDI
'06 Silver Jetta TDI manual & '11 Audi Q7 S-Line V6 TDI
I just replaced my clutch this fall with the kit from idparts. I opted for the Sachs SMF G60/VR6 clutch as opposed to the South Bend clutches which cost a bit more. I don't plan on adding that much more power. The G60/VR6 is rated to 300ft/lbs of torque so it should be plenty. I notice a bit more rattle/vibration with the SMF but I'll take it for increase in longevity & strength. I also replaced the Master & Slave cylinder as well since I was at it. I have over 200k on the clock.

oldblacksmoker

TDI
1999 jetta tdi, 2005.5 brm
I installed the idparts kit. I bought the car with a bad dmf. It was destroyed, so the sachs feels pretty smooth comparatively. The rear main seal is an expensive option if you so choose to replace it. I also had to replace the throwout arm and the little pivot knob. I recommend preparing for that as my local dealer didn't have the parts when I ran into that problem.

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp Manual
I went from a DMF to Sachs Quiet Clutch on my '06 stick, no power upgrades.

The Sachs Clutch is really nice to drive IMO (but I'm limited as this is my first stick car).

Sand Bag

TDI
'06 Silver Jetta TDI manual & '11 Audi Q7 S-Line V6 TDI
When I said idparts kit I meant to imply that the pivot, arm, other minor necessary components were replaced. While I was at it I replaced my rear main seal as well. When I did my timing belt earlier I changed the cam & followers. I ended up going with a Kermatdi Stage 3 Colt Cam. So far I like it but I don't have much for mileage on it yet.

arneeche

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (former), 2012 Jetta TDI (Former), 2014 JSW TDI
I did the vr6/g60 on my 06 and I love it. It was kind of a PITA getting the transmission back into place, but now that I've done it once I think I could do it again much faster and easier. Just print off the guide and follow it, its not a very difficult job to do if you have the tools.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
Okay. SMF it is and any recommendations on a cam?
I went with an ID parts billet cam that seems to be doing well 70,000 later. I would recommend switching to Mobil 1 TDT in order to get more ZDDP or adding ZDDP to your 50501 oil in order to help protect the new cam.