06 Jetta BEW 109K cyl 2 Misfire

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
06 Jetta BRM 109K cyl 2 Misfire

So friends car. asked me to look at it.
2006 BRM TDI with 109k, first brought it he said it died on the road had it towed here. this is by no means a idiot. he snapped a t-belt on his AHU and redid the head himself. he was stumped on this though.
he admits to using old diesel in the car and it died. so he pulled the in-tank pump, and the filter replaced filter, cleaned mesh on intake pump, pumped out the old diesel fresh tank of new. and drove the car for another 3-4k before it started acting up. randomly dieing not wanting to start when warm. long crank time, then it finally died. had it towed to me.

So engine has 400+psi all cyl good sign.
I got the car running but its missing on cyl 2
I pulled the line after the filter and ran cleaner right threw. still a mis on cyl 2 pulled valve cover a little where on the cam shaft, (but would that make it mis completely? and wouldn't that effect compression)
tested the injectors same resistance across all of them, check continuity threw the harness no issue there (not surprising the ONLY code is mis-fire there is NOT a code for the injector as i have seen in slimiler threads Ive searched.)

so its down to either the cam is worse then i see or the injector is in need of replacing.

If i drive the car on the mis. it will stall and not want to restart. could there be a bigger issue im missing?

also the IQ's are cyl 1 2.00, cyl 2 2.80, cyl 3 -2.00 cyl 4 -2.00
or something like that. I can pull exact numbers if its needed.

Have vag, and 10 years working as a tech. the BRM is a little foreign to me as NY banned them. so I mostly see ALH and older.

Last edited:

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
ya he said he replaced the under hood filter.
I am leaning towards an injector as well.

it really in my head. Can only be
1) injector
2)cam

but i think cam would have been a slowly gets worse not an instant now your car wont run thing.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Possible wiring harness issue? Either the large one on the side of the head or the individual injector harness under the valve cover.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
ya he said he replaced the under hood filter.
I am leaning towards an injector as well.

it really in my head. Can only be
1) injector
2)cam

but i think cam would have been a slowly gets worse not an instant now your car wont run thing.
Once a cam punches through a lifter it can get bad all at once. It might run with no noticeable issue until that point then all of a sudden it will throw a misfire code like you are seeing. The compression will stay good in that cylinder because the valves are staying closed instead of opening. I would almost be willing to put money on a bad camshaft that has punched a hole in a lifter.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
So im trying to talk the owner into a colt cam and cam kit, and 4 upgraded nozzles from Kerma.
I figure that way there is a 300k warranty on everything and that's bound to fix it.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
So im trying to talk the owner into a colt cam and cam kit, and 4 upgraded nozzles from Kerma.
I figure that way there is a 300k warranty on everything and that's bound to fix it.
But is the cam actually the issue? Seems like you are planning on throwing parts at it hoping that they will resolve the issue.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
Well the cam wasn't the issue. but would have been eventually there was ware on lobe on cyl 2. but replacing the cam had no effect.

Replacing the cyl 2 injector, did make the car run. but it still has a little mis at idle wit h no load, if the AC is on there is no mis at all. the owner has been driving it like this. but would like to resolve the little bit of mis.
the IQ numbers are better but still not great. 1 is 1.50 2 1.30 3 is -1.80 and 4 is -1.30

also the car only saw 35MPG on the last tank. (owner lives rural so should be better)

Also i changed the under-hood filter again, and it was pretty nasty. injector I replaced was pretty nasty covered in redishbrown goop. I should have talked him into replacing all 4 at once... owe well you live and learn then you get luv's

Last edited:

TDI WGN

TDI
04 Jetta wgn
Continuity through the harness doesn't mean the harness connection to the injector is good. Been there already same symptoms number 2 misfire poor mpg etc....replaced the injector harness, no more misfire and mpg is better now than ever.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
well this misfire has now moved to cyl 4... owner called said the car just suddly started running real poorly again.

So i convinced him to let me replace the remaining injectors...