06 Jetta Airbag light

jettajeff2006

TDI
06 Jetta
Any Airbag experts out there? I have the below fault and am looking for some help. I try to do everything myself if at all possible.

1 Fault Found:

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

Any chance the igniter is a $2.00 part available online somewhere???

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Any Airbag experts out there? I have the below fault and am looking for some help. I try to do everything myself if at all possible.
1 Fault Found:
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

Any chance the igniter is a $2.00 part available online somewhere???
Not sure, but id search out the ground and clean it, reset the fault and see if it reappears before dropping money on any part. Might fix it, might not, either way I really cant see it just going bad. Usually its a contact issue.

jettajeff2006

TDI
06 Jetta
I do plan on searching for a loose connector or something like what you describe. So far every airbag light I've ever had was from a bad harness under the seat and then about 6 other airbag lights as a result of the pitiful recall work that the dealer did on the same harness. They spliced in a harness extension and I had to redo every splice they did. The wires kept falling out due to there pitiful crimping.

jettajeff2006

TDI
06 Jetta
Awesome scrichy84, no doubt that is exactly my problem. Any chance to take it to the dealership for free work is fine by me. Although, I had to repair the shoddy work they did installing an under seat harness extension from the last recall. Half of their wire splices weren't crimped enough to retain the wires. Wires literally fell out of the splices.

But thanks for the info...pure gold

jettajeff2006

TDI
06 Jetta
The recall says they will fix for free until Jan 13. I reset the light and now it won't come back on. Now I'm hoping the light comes back on so I can get the free work done before Jan 13.

TD173, you said it effected the window too? Did they ever explain how that managed to occur?

jettajeff2006

TDI
06 Jetta
Interesting link. An now I also know how to fix door dings by removing the door exterior skin...

When I start experiencing door issues I'll know exactly what to check. Thanks!

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
Fixed my airbag light on Saturday night...performed the procedures in TSB 6908-02. Fairly simple to follow, just involves eliminating a plug and connecting the wires through butt connectors, or in my case we soldered the wires together. Took about 45 minutes to remove seat and perform the fix. Code 199 is the drivers side, 200 is the passenger side as outlined in the TSB.