06 cam now with good pics

cody

Veteran Member

Now with good pics. These are on cylinders 3 & 4. Rest of the lobes are smooth. I know it is hard to tell but what are your thoughts on longevity? Severity of what you see? 95K miles of Total 5w30. Just changed to Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 today and will add some ZDDP today. Thanks for your time, cody

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Sounds like you are doing everything you possibly could do. Put a cam inspection onto the schedule during each oil change for a while and keep us informed. Can you take a picture from the same angle, lighting, settings each time?

Bill

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Cody, that is not bad at all, you may get some mileage out of that one..I have just a little bit less then that and dont plan on replacing mine..

Keep an eye on it..every 20-30K miles or so..

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Second pic looks about like what mine looked like on lobe #3E. Even a little better really. I replaced my cam out of anal retentiveness likley lol, but who knows how long you could go on yours..?

Like Bill said you are now doing about all you can. Keep an eye on it and make sure you don't let it wear down too much and replace it before it gets to where it will scuff the rockers.

cody

Veteran Member
Thanks for your thoughts. I am not trying to go as long as I can but just put $1500 into it for brakes, suspension, and TBG so would like to drive it a little while until a new cam. Anyone else? Thanks, cody