06 BRM long cranking to start at 1/2 tank of Less

gflatt

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM - DSG
What Gives? For a while now I've been chasing fule delivery / "non Return" / fuel filter bleed off and or, any other thing that was having my 60 BRM Jetta (DSG) to bump at the initial start sequence then take 20-30 seconds of non-stop cranking to fire. Once fired it would run & start "Perfectly" all day until the next morning. Thinking all along that it was getting better periodically.. (Healing itself) so to say. 😉🤣 Started to become of the fueling up pattern and realized that it happened to start at 1/2 tank and gets progressively worst at lower fuel levels. "SO" Filled up last night at the first sign, and YEP! this morning it Popped off Perfectly, as I suspect it will for the top 1/2 of the tank. What m am I dealing with? (Fuel pickup & supply tube)? Should I be looking to just replace the Intank pump assembly altogether?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Disconnect the fuel supply at the filter, place that hose in a can or jar. Then flick the ignition a couple of times without cranking. If you collect no fuel in the can then you need a new lift pump. If you collect very little volume, then your pump is dying.

gflatt

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM - DSG
Disconnect the fuel supply at the filter, and place that hose in a can or jar. Then flick the ignition a couple of times without cranking. If you collect no fuel in the can then you need a new lift pump. If you collect very little volume, then your pump is dying.
Sorry for the delay in replying,, been out of town.
Unrestricted fuel delivery looks to be good, the initial start (1-2) seconds always happens then dead, followed by hesitated combustion cranking until catch and run. Usually 8 to 10 seconds. This condition is consistent with the first start-up of the day, and isn't always the case, starting normally will happen for days then Not for days. Differing Fuel levels have no effect, and here in Fla. parking off-grade is not an issue.
Did a DSG fluid & filter service and Found no evidence of fuel leakage in the bell housing area under the duo-pump. Thankfully I have other transportation, Be it @ 16-18 MPG, not the 36-40 I'm used to.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Did you disconnect the hose coming from the tank at the filter and check if fuel comes out when the key is flicked, but not crank?