06 BRM Jetta ECM Replacement

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a no start condition that has been diagnosed with a bad ECM.
Can I install a used ECM that I buy on ebay. The shop says the keys will need programmed to the ECM before the car will start.
I have a Vag-Com, can I program the keys myself, or does it have to be a dealer?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have a no start condition that has been diagnosed with a bad ECM.

Can I install a used ECM that I buy on ebay. The shop says the keys will need programmed to the ECM before the car will start.

I have a Vag-Com, can I program the keys myself, or does it have to be a dealer?
I will let someone who knows the answer better answer as to what needs programmed if you change the ecm. Is yours an automatic? If so, I have an ecm from my parts car which is just taking up space in my shed. I'd let it go for a really good price! If you get it tuned, you could get the immobilizer deleted, which would take care of programming the keys, which would be another option.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The immobilizer will need to be rest, as well as the VIN and CAN Gateway. So no, it will not just plug in and work.

ECUs rarely fail like that. So chances are it won't fix the car anyway. But you can certainly try. On the older cars, it'll give you a start/die, start/die. On some of the newer cars, you'll get one attempt, then the immo trips and it won't do anything else.

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The car now barely starts after cranking for awhile then dies. No codes, new fuel filter, electric fuel pump is supplying fuel. There is no voltage output to the cam sensor.

Oil hAMMER DO YOU MEAN WITH AN UNPROGRAMMED ECM, i MAy get one start attemp or a start/die?
Where can I send the ECM to be programmed?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
How did you determine there is no voltage to the CMP sensor? How is there not a DTC if that is the case? Does it start with the CMP unplugged?

I'd lay money you do not need an ECU. If I were going to place a bet, I'd say you need an engine harness. THAT is quite common on the BRMs. The ECU is not.

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The shop said the wire at the CMP connector that should have voltage, does not. It sometimes throws a code for implausible CMP signal, but it will clear.They are testing the circuit in the engine harness now. It will not start with the CMP unplugged.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
The shop said the wire at the CMP connector that should have voltage, does not. It sometimes throws a code for implausible CMP signal, but it will clear.They are testing the circuit in the engine harness now. It will not start with the CMP unplugged.
You better test voltage output at the ECM connector not only the CMP sensor... I agree about the engine harness most likely being the issue. They can cause lots of weird issues.