06’ BRM TDI - P0299 Low Boost

mrkV-jetta

TDI
1.9L BRM
I have a 2006 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L // BRM // 275,000 mi // with a 6 speed DSG which has been having intermittent boost issues (P0299) over the past year or so. The car has had an EGR delete, Garret Turbo, and Kerma tune put on it all by the original owner (40,000 mi. ago).

Initially when I would accelerate slowly from a stop, I could feel an extreme loss of power once it reached 4th gear. To fix the problem I would simply pull over and clear the code.

I put a new Bosch MAF sensor on, but the problem continued ever so often so I ignored it.

However, recently it has begun to do this non-stop. Before I could accelerate a bit faster and have no problems for months, but now it seems as if no matter how much I baby it or accelerate, the problem presents itself.

The check engine light doesn’t seem to illuminate until driving without boost for several minutes. I take good care of it, for both driving/maintenance.

Just need some help before the daily driver becomes a money pit. Thanks!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have a 2006 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L // BRM // 275,000 mi // with a 6 speed DSG which has been having intermittent boost issues (P0299) over the past year or so. The car has had an EGR delete, Garret Turbo, and Kerma tune put on it all by the original owner (40,000 mi. ago).

Initially when I would accelerate slowly from a stop, I could feel an extreme loss of power once it reached 4th gear. To fix the problem I would simply pull over and clear the code.

I put a new Bosch MAF sensor on, but the problem continued ever so often so I ignored it.

However, recently it has begun to do this non-stop. Before I could accelerate a bit faster and have no problems for months, but now it seems as if no matter how much I baby it or accelerate, the problem presents itself.

The check engine light doesn’t seem to illuminate until driving without boost for several minutes. I take good care of it, for both driving/maintenance.

Check for boost leaks and check the camshaft. Those would be the first things I would test.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Have you tried the zip tie mod? Kind of sounds like maybe the turbo actuator isn’t moving freely/correctly.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM

What codes is your VCDS showing? Few things can be determined without knowing what the car is willing and able to tell you.

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI automatic,2006 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
Good morning
I need some help as well… same codes. I have
PO299. And PO101. This just started all of the sudden on my daughters Jetta that has 230k miles- 06 Jetta w/BRM engine. What I see when I removed the cloth cover from the EGR cooler is a lot of black soot… I looked here because that’s where it sounds like an exhaust leak is coming from …it seems that the arm that operates a flapper is… seems very loose and not moving anything as I manually moved it… do I need a new egr cooler…? Any “ helpful “ advice is appreciated. Thanks. Eddie

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Good morning
I need some help as well… same codes. I have
PO299. And PO101. This just started all of the sudden on my daughters Jetta that has 230k miles- 06 Jetta w/BRM engine. What I see when I removed the cloth cover from the EGR cooler is a lot of black soot… I looked here because that’s where it sounds like an exhaust leak is coming from …it seems that the arm that operates a flapper is… seems very loose and not moving anything as I manually moved it… do I need a new egr cooler…? Any “ helpful “ advice is appreciated. Thanks. Eddie
Thats the egr diverter valve. I think someone makes a kit to fix that, but I don't recall.
I would also check the camshaft with the p0101 and p0299 codes. I often see those codes come in sets.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
<snip>
<end snip>

Please disconnect the vacuum hose from your cylinder head cover and check that the vacuum reservoir housed within the cover does not leak vacuum. Mine did and exhibited somewhat similar issues to what you describe. I fixed it by simply sealing the leak with some RTV on the top of the cover. Also, check the vacuum hose that attaches to the brake booster, as the original plastic one on mine failed as well.

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
If the egr valve is broken… it really shouldn’t make a difference how it runs…. Correct?
I hear a thumping sound… which I guess is from the cam being worn out… correct..? Thanks

Mozambiquer

TDI
If the egr valve is broken… it really shouldn’t make a difference how it runs…. Correct?
I hear a thumping sound… which I guess is from the cam being worn out… correct..? Thanks
Thumping sound is 99% cam is worn..pull the valve cover and look at it.

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
Ordered the camshaft kit from IDPARTS. Are there any really good how to’s out there…? I’ve done a few timing belt replacements so I’m completely comfortable doing this job. Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
The my turbo diesel YouTube video is pretty good you’re just gonna have to watch a couple YouTube videos to get a general idea. I haven’t seen one that I thought covered everything 100%.

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to replace my camshaft. I wasted a little bit of time by trying to turn camshaft 90degrees -PRO METHOD-instead of removing the tandem pump…. But I did end up removing it to replace the tandem pump gasket. My cam was definitely worn and I had one lifter that was blown out .
Not a bad job at all… to do
I did realize that when it says complete kit - make sure it actually is…
ID parts full billet camshaft kit DOES NOT include
the camshaft sprocket bolts and the tandem pump bolts . Hope this helps someone else. Thanks for all of the helpful info found on this website and by the way- I did pay for premium membership on my turbo diesel and it definitely has PLENTY of excellent info for the VW Enthusiast! Thanks