05 tdi passat engine issue

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I recently purchased an 05 tdi passat cheap and wanted to run the issue by all you trouble shooters. I bought it from a young Lady who doesn't know cars, much less tdi's.Supposedly has a bad engine. I towed it home thinking it was probably a bsm grenade job. The turbo was close to seizing so I pulled it off. I tried to start it and it fires but won't run more than a second. The turbo oil supply line was putting out a good flow as was the cam followers and I didn't hear any other noises other than the loud open exhaust. Cam lobes all look fine as well as the tb. All this tells me the engine is structurally ok. Should the engine start and idle with the turbo off? I figure maybe the HPFP is bad or the fuel filter is clogging although it looks rather shiny and newer. I figured I'd check the cam timing, replace the fuel filter and figure out how to check the HPFP.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is no HPFP on a BHW.

Are you sure it is not an immobiliser issue? When those are triggered, the engine will start right up, and shut right back off after about one second.

chickensoup2180

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW)
I had this issue when i first got my 05 passat. mine had a bad cam, but would still start after cranking it for AGES. What fixed the start up issue was replacing the fuel filter, and fixing the egr. I would start with the fuel filter then look into the EGR and anti shutter flapper.

edit- oh, and the valve/tee at the top of the fuel filter can go bad and get clogged as well.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Can I see the immobiliser issue in VCDS? I will replace the fuel filter also. I thought the PD engines had a high pressure fuel pump on the back of the head driven by the cam. Isn't that what pump duetche is? Can I see that fuel pump status in VCDS? I guess I've spent too much time with VE engines.
Today I did a scan in VCDS and found a couple of troubling fault codes: camshaft position sensor intermittent implausible signal at 147 rpm (PO341). The tb looks good with no indication of failure but maybe it's a tooth or two off preventing it from starting? Also I'm getting a passenger side airbag crash sensor fault 30-10 open or short to plus intermittent. Maybe water in the floor causing that? I don't see any obvious immo issues. How do I do a quick check of the cam timing on a bhw engine that won't start hopefully without removing any pulleys?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
First you said it starts and shuts off. Now it doesn't start at all? Which is it?

There is no HPFP on any PD engine. It has an electric lift pump in the tank, then a mechanical pump on the head that feeds a fuel feed cavity in the head, then each injector is mechanically driven via the cam (but controlled electrically) for each cylinder. The mechanical pump on the head has a minimum spec of 3.5 bar, but is usually closer to 5 (about 75 psi). The HPFP on the CR engines supplies fuel at about 1000-2000 bar (about 15,000 psi). So yeah, completely different.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It fires but will not take off and run. I put a new fuel filter on it today and it still will not run. That's why i wanted to check the cam timing without putting it in service lock and removing pulleys. the lower front cover is still on and supposedly there are timing marks there but can't find them: A notch on the pulley and a notch on the cover to indicate TDC #1. Does a BHW passat show any flashing light if the immo is activated?

oilhammer

TDI
I know there is a notch on the lower cover, and there probably is one on the pulley but since you don't use those to time the engine on the diesels I am not really sure. The cover has it simply because some of the gas engines use the same cover, and they DO use that mark and the corresponding notch on the pulley. They are normally not super easy to see, so I always clean them off really good while apart and put a bright paint line on them to highlight. That is not precise enough for the diesels, but probably enough to be close. If the belt is tensioned, and is not missing any teeth, it is likely not that. And that would be easy to check.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I would unplug the cam sensor to see if the engine would stay running. It should run without the sensor plugged in.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would unplug the cam sensor to see if the engine would stay running. It should run without the sensor plugged in.
I'LL try that today. Also will insert a pin in the cam to lock it in place and look for the marks on the pulley and lower tb cover. All the teeth and tension on the tb look fine. i will also attempt to read torsion value while cranking.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
cam and belt are properly aligned. Is there a technique for checking the tandem fuel pump?

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
apparently there is a pressure port than can be gauged. I think it would be hard to do giving the location.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that looks difficult and requires money to do. This car should run but just fires a bit while cranking. I did replace the fuel filter without clamping the lines but didn't think that mattered on a lift pumped tdi. But I've heard if the tandem pump looses it's prime, they can be a bear to start. The lift pump puts out plenty of volume.Is there a screen in the tandem pump that may be plugged? I've read so much on this topic that I'm way too confused now. I've cycled the key 30 times to purge air but still no start.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
When I've been in this situation (replacing injectors), I remov d the glow pp lugs and cranked over until I saw mist (fuel) out the GP holes. Installed the GPs again and she fired. Removing the GPs allows the engine to crank over much faster (less strain on the starter, battery lasts longer) to bring fuel to the injectors.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I tried again today and it fires some but won't start. I have the turbo off but didn't figure that would prevent it from starting. It did fill my garage with black smoke while cranking so doesn't a[pear to be a lack of fuel. Maybe too much? I wish something in vcds would give me a hint.I did use basic settings 035 six times so I got a total of 180 seconds of lift pump running to purge air. Tomorrow I plan to check and see if fuel is being routed back to the tank and I don't have a thermostatic tee issue or other restriction in the return line. I'm also gonna disconnect the cam position sensor.Maybe it's causing the injectors to inject at the wrong time. Hopefully I have one on the shelf.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The black smoke would lead me to believe you have an air supply problem rather than a fuel supply problem. Does the anti-shudder valve work OK? Nobody left a rag in an intake pipe?
Good point. Tomorrow will disconnect the boost piping and make sure there's a clear path for air through the intake. I haven't had much experience with the ASV on a BHW but will make sure it's open too. Thx QuickTD

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Good point. Tomorrow will disconnect the boost piping and make sure there's a clear path for air through the intake. I haven't had much experience with the ASV on a BHW but will make sure it's open too. Thx QuickTD
Also make sure the EGR valve isn't stuck open.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ASV and egr valves not restricting air flow and problem persists. Will pull the nose and check cam time the right way next