05 Passat - Slight hesitation under acceleration

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
I don't drive this car very much, my wife does, but I don't think the problem existed before the latest maintenance. About a week ago I changed the fuel filter, air, filter, cabin filter, and oil/filter. My wife drove the car the next day and called me to say it hesitated while climbing a hill. Sure enough, I have been driving it off and on since and I will get a slight hesitation at certain points.

From stop and driving normal, no hesitation. From stop and getting on it, no hesitation. If around 45 and/or around 1500 - 2300 RPM I give it a more than normal press of the accelerator it will hesitate like it isn't getting enough fuel/air and then power through. On flat I can get it to the point it almost never does it but while going up a steep hill I can get it to do it around that same RPM and again at higher speed 60+ and pushing the accelerator to the floor. Starts fine, idles fine.

I went back through the air filter change and verified everything appeared to be good. I replaced one of the fuel lines that had some potential deterioration and I have tried multiple different types of clamps on the fuel lines trying to rule out air leak there.

I unplugged the MAF and I didn't see much difference at all. VCDS, other than after unplugging the MAF, shows no related codes. Otherwise, not sure what else to look at. I see mixed information about cleaning the MAF, some say not to and others saying it is ok to clean.

Where should I look next?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What is the torsion value?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
What is the torsion value?
It is set at -1.5. I will upload a picture in a few minutes with some other information I just grabbed that may be relevant, or not.
Also, and it is infrequent, it does have a small idle fluctuation of about 20 RPMs.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Ok, that doesn't sound too bad. I think optimum is around 0, but if it was way off, that could signal a worn camshaft. It may be good to check that if you haven't already, since that can cause the stumble. I know the brm in the 05-06 Jetta had a common issue with the turbo vanes sticking thus the zip tie mod, I guess that could also happen with the 1749 turbo...

hipavlos

TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI x 2
Picking up this thread. Did you come up with a solution to this problem? I bought a second ‘05 Passat TDI that is having the same problem. Has been fine driving around town for a few months. Today heading out on a road trip and is hesitating/stumbling slightly while accelerating up hill at freeway speeds.

doxster22

TDI
2004 Passat TDI, 2000 VW Jetta TDI
anyone have any solutions/resolutions to this issue. I picked up an 04 Passat TDI doing the exact same thing. Pulled valve cover and cam looks good. I'm suspecting a worn injector or leaky injector.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I read somewhere that someone inadvertently swapped the feed and return fuel lines to the fuel filter which caused a stumbling issue. They noticed the mistake, corrected it and all is well.

doxster22

TDI
2004 Passat TDI, 2000 VW Jetta TDI
I read somewhere that someone inadvertently swapped the feed and return fuel lines to the fuel filter which caused a stumbling issue. They noticed the mistake, corrected it and all is well.
Just tried that with no luck. Makes the problem much worse but now I at least think that it is a fuel delivery problem. Symptoms are more severe with lines switch, maybe not flowing enough fuel?? It has a brand new OE fuel filter.