05 Passat hard start after GP recall reflash

sidsnot

TDI
2014 Jetta Silver, 2000 Cherv Silverado 2500 6.L Vortec
I hope I have the right forum. 2005 Passat B5
After having a steel G.P.software update by VW dealer in cold weather -10 C' or below. I have problem starting.
5th Ave auto Calgary who did the work in May of this year tell me that VW are working on the software problem & will advise me when a fix is available. In the mean time cycle the G.P.'s 2 to 3 times with a 10 sec delay between cycles.
Will keep you posted.

bendyline

TDI
'04 Passat GLS TDI
I am having the same issue with my 2004 Passat TDI. Just bought it in November, VW dealer replaced the GP's under the recall. I don't think they did any software update though, I watched them install the plugs.
Now on really cold days if my car is sitting outside all day at work, when I leave to go home, it won't start easily. I have to attempt starting it 5 or 6 or more times before it will go. Sometimes I have to just keep holding the key to get it to start. It does eventually start , but it's not very confidence inspiring.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Mine has the steel glow plugs. Car started just fine at 9 degree F. Oilhammer installed the plugs when he did the BS AND my dealer, Motorville did the ECU reflash as per the TSB. Works as advertised.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Be sure your car has been maintained on schedule. A fresh fuel filter and air filter are good to have in a TDI at the start of the cold season. If hard starting occurs at low temps, make sure you haven't got frozen moisture in the fuel. Try draining some from the bottom of the filter into a glass jar for examination to determine if moisture/ice is present.

loco engineer

TDI
Passat 2005 jetta 1999.5
Thanks for the reply mcgolf, but this is a low mileage car that I have maintained myself. All of the above things are good. The car has about 500 miles since the reflash. The ONLY thing different is VW's stellar work on the reflash. Again, thanks for the help.