05 passat 5 speed swap questions

Badinfluence

TDI
Bhw
Hey guys, i believe my tourque conveter is going out of my pssat. Makes a whining noise going doen the road. I emailed frans a few times but just want to confirm that his kit comes with everything needed for the swap except the clutch, flywheel and tune. Going to delete the balance shaft as well and upgrade the cam too while its apart. The car has 280k on it. What do you guys reccomend as far as a clutch, flywheel and tune

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I have a nice VW reman GMR I can sell you. Depending on where you are in KY, you could come check it out and confirms its' health. If your car is a wagon, I might buy it if you don't undertake that huge manual swap job. PM me. I just put a LUK DMF setup in my wagon and it's awesome and smooth you can check out when you come.

Badinfluence

TDI
Bhw
I have a nice VW reman GMR I can sell you. Depending on where you are in KY, you could come check it out and confirms its' health. If your car is a wagon, I might buy it if you don't undertake that huge manual swap job. PM me. I just put a LUK DMF setup in my wagon and it's awesome and smooth you can check out when you come.
Thats very nice of you sir. Im all the way north in ky. The car is a sedan. I do have alot of experience in the mechanic world. I just wanted to order everything and make sure i have it all then i was going to take some vacation time from work and knock it all out. Plans were to do the swap, balance shaft delete, cam swap, new timing belt, change oil. Then hopefully it wont throw no fits over the winter

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
+1 on the LUK DMF. Got back mine converted back in early July and have been enjoying it. Very smooth. Also recommend holding out for FHN transmission.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
What is a fhn transmission
Someone else here can probably better elaborate with details, but if you are going with the 5-speed manual conversion the FHN transmission is the best gear ratio to match up with our BHW/B5.5 TDI motors. FHN was sold in Europe and you can source it from Frans and other places, and from time to time they pop up over here from people who are abandoning project plans for the conversion but already have the parts.

FHN transmissions are harder to come by because they are higher demand for these conversions. GGB and DUK transmissions are next best options, but there are compromises even with those and those aren't always easy to source.

I held out several weeks for Frans to find a FHN and went with it even though it had higher miles on it than some other options. Some of the other 5-speed manual transmission options can run 5-7 mph lower speed at 2000 RPM (in 5th) compared to FHN. And when rowing through the gears, some of the middle gears are closer together or (alternatively) have more of a drop off between shifts. I don't have much to compare it to, but other folks here who have tried several different 5-speed manual transmission options can better weigh in. One of those wise men suggested to me to hold out for FHN and that it's worth the wait and hold-out. I couldn't be happier that I did. And paired with the DUK DMF clutch kit, it's a great option and should have left the factory that way.

Also, whatever tune you decide to go with, get a Stage 2. Don't be shy to save $50 or $100 on a $$$ project. Stage 2 is much more funner (or most funnest?) to drive....

Badinfluence

TDI
Bhw
Someone else here can probably better elaborate with details, but if you are going with the 5-speed manual conversion the FHN transmission is the best gear ratio to match up with our BHW/B5.5 TDI motors. FHN was sold in Europe and you can source it from Frans and other places, and from time to time they pop up over here from people who are abandoning project plans for the conversion but already have the parts.

FHN transmissions are harder to come by because they are higher demand for these conversions. GGB and DUK transmissions are next best options, but there are compromises even with those and those aren't always easy to source.

I held out several weeks for Frans to find a FHN and went with it even though it had higher miles on it than some other options. Some of the other 5-speed manual transmission options can run 5-7 mph lower speed at 2000 RPM (in 5th) compared to FHN. And when rowing through the gears, some of the middle gears are closer together or (alternatively) have more of a drop off between shifts. I don't have much to compare it to, but other folks here who have tried several different 5-speed manual transmission options can better weigh in. One of those wise men suggested to me to hold out for FHN and that it's worth the wait and hold-out. I couldn't be happier that I did. And paired with the DUK DMF clutch kit, it's a great option and should have left the factory that way.

Also, whatever tune you decide to go with, get a Stage 2. Don't be shy to save $50 or $100 on a $$$ project. Stage 2 is much more funner (or most funnest?) to drive....
This is great info thank you so much. Did you do the swap yourself?

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I have the FHN. I have thought unless you are doing a lot of freeway driving something with the DUK ratio might be a little better. 60 MPH the engine is hovering around the 1800 RPM in 5th. That seems to be near the bottom of the power band. The engine really likes to be over 2000 it seems to deliver power.

Though I am happy with it if I was doing another I would try the DUK.

Badinfluence

TDI
Bhw
I have the FHN. I have thought unless you are doing a lot of freeway driving something with the DUK ratio might be a little better. 60 MPH the engine is hovering around the 1800 RPM in 5th. That seems to be near the bottom of the power band. The engine really likes to be over 2000 it seems to deliver power.

Though I am happy with it if I was doing another I would try the DUK.
Im rarely on the freeway. Maybe 3 times a month for only 5-10 miles. I live in a rural/suburban area so i guess it would more like drive 3 mikes then hit a redlight. Then another mile and hit a redlight. Then 2 miles and a stop sign. Not really stop go redlight every 500 foot.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I went cheap and used a locally sourced DVZ v6 trans 3000 rpms @75. Being that I'm 90% city or back road it's never given me an issue. Even back back when my mom lived 4 hrs away on the coast I did 43mpgs at 3k/75 mph there and back. Only exception was when when I was pulling a trailer with 4 kayaks. I netted 32 towing all the fishing gear. I used a 400 dollar Craigslist v6 5 speed passat to supply 95% of all my swap parts. From pedals to axles to trans to shifter. Then scrapped it to get half my money back.

I used Malone stage 2 for tuning.

I had issues with the the designer clutch masters 240mm set up and left my daily driver sitting for over a month.

I'm now using a stock valeo 1.8t single mass flywheel kit (off of a 2004 passat 1.8t 5 speed) and sent the clutch/pressure plate off to get what south bend calls their endurance treatment. Cheaper than the clutch masters crap by 50% and has lasted 3x as long and counting. Also 99% better on road clutch as far as easy to drive for a non track car.

I have about 4 years on the set up a daily driver (3 with the new clutch set up) and have been very happy with it.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I've had both and prefer the FHN. An 01E 6speed is my preference although they're hard to find in FWD config. I have to brag on the 1.8t LUK dmf I got from Aaron. It is super smotth compared to the Valeo and South Bends I've had which were both chattery and grabby. DMF's were not developed without a reason. I can't imagine cruising at 3000 at 75 mph in mine-would have to sell it. Every 4 banger tdi I've had liked to cruise between 1800 and about 2300. Even the MB om606.962 diesel in my F150 doesn't like cruising above 2300 and it's a 7000 RPM capable diesel. My CR-150 in my B7 loves around 18-2200 also.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
1800 rpm is right below the torque curve and diesels don't like to be lugged. I suppose if you were in a very flat area you could get away with that but with a 5 speed any hill would require a down shift.

How many tdi 5 speeds will yield a sub 2500 rpms at 75mph?

I don't follow exact fuel consumption in my diesel vehicles but in boats where you can easily watch fuel flow rates running slightly above the peak torque range usually yields better fuel consumption.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
I went cheap and used a locally sourced DVZ v6 trans 3000 rpms @75. Being that I'm 90% city or back road it's never given me an issue. Even back back when my mom lived 4 hrs away on the coast I did 43mpgs at 3k/75 mph there and back. Only exception was when when I was pulling a trailer with 4 kayaks. I netted 32 towing all the fishing gear. I used a 400 dollar Craigslist v6 5 speed passat to supply 95% of all my swap parts. From pedals to axles to trans to shifter. Then scrapped it to get half my money back.

I used Malone stage 2 for tuning.

I had issues with the the designer clutch masters 240mm set up and left my daily driver sitting for over a month.

I'm now using a stock valeo 1.8t single mass flywheel kit (off of a 2004 passat 1.8t 5 speed) and sent the clutch/pressure plate off to get what south bend calls their endurance treatment. Cheaper than the clutch masters crap by 50% and has lasted 3x as long and counting. Also 99% better on road clutch as far as easy to drive for a non track car.

I have about 4 years on the set up a daily driver (3 with the new clutch set up) and have been very happy with it.
3 years and 60k ago I installed the Whitbread solid flywheel and FX300 clutch. It chattered right from the start, and after waiting 3 years and 60k miles for it to "break in", it's actually getting WORSE. I've had just about enough and am now trying to decide on a replacement, but scared to waste another $1,000 + labor on another huge mistake.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I have less than 750 in my smf valeo set up even after the south bend upgrade.

The clutch set up fits in usps flat rate.

I never had chatter issues other than when trying to feather the clutch. Even my current set up you either engage the clutch or disengage it, dont feather it. Thus requires a little change in driving habits when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.
My issue came when I my self adjusting pressure plate gave up all clamping force. I had to smoke the clutch to limp home.

The valeo set up isn't as rough and it broke in quickly, some sub 500 miles where the clutch masters was 2500 miles of hell.

I wouldn't be shocked if you pull your clutch and find the clutch hub loose from the disk.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The valeo smf setup I recently pulled out of my wagon looked really good when i pulled it out so looks can certainly be deceiving. For $500 the LUK dmf 1.8t is by far the best choice IMHO. One just has to get the slave rod at the perfect length. Mine was 2-7/8" tip to tip. Due to slight difference in the slave cylinders, release bearings etc from car to car, anyone who goes that route should carefully do some experimenting on theirs to hit the sweet spot to eliminate clutch slippage from 'too long' and no start and dragging issues on the 'too short' end. ideally an adjustable rod could be fabricated and should have come oe. i'm trying to acquire a 2005 manual 1.8t wagon now and using one of my BHW engines in it and to start will attempt to use the 1.8t tranny before I source a euro tdi one. I wonder if it is geared similar to the V6 tranny or is it even shorter in 5th?

Last edited:

Badinfluence

TDI
Bhw
Where is everyone getting their swaps? Does everyone order them from over seas or are there cars here in the states where everything will match up?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The 1.8t 5 speed trans is shorter than the v6 trans. If you can't imagine cruising 3000 rpms at 75 mph then you're really going to be disappointed with the 4cyl trans.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like the only advantage of a 1.8t manual wagon for my starting point is the pedals lol. I wonder if I could use a 2000-2005 01e 6speed quattro tranny and just not attach the rear drive shaft or a B7 quattro 6speed and not attach the rear drive shaft. Maybe start with a 4motion 2005 manual B5.5?

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The torsen is an open diff. When people turn an AWD Audi into RWD (not sure why lol), they weld the torsen.

Edit: looks like I am late to the party--what QuickTD said.

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
Basically any B5 TDI transmission will do just fine. Some have slightly lower rpm on the highway, but that isn't really noticable in fuel mileage.

The FHN/GGB gearboxes with longer final ratio are really hard to find these days (in good condition with reasonable mileage). Most people go for the more available and cheaper "standard" TDI gearboxes.

Badinfluence

TDI
Bhw
Basically any B5 TDI transmission will do just fine. Some have slightly lower rpm on the highway, but that isn't really noticable in fuel mileage.

The FHN/GGB gearboxes with longer final ratio are really hard to find these days (in good condition with reasonable mileage). Most people go for the more available and cheaper "standard" TDI gearboxes.
Frans thank you for the help. I sent you a email. What else is needed to complete the swap that is not included in your kit

NoelMcC

TDI
2005 Tdi Wagon; 81 Vanagon Subaru conversion.
I have a spare FHN transmission and used single mass flywheel and clutch. If anyone is interested shoot me off an offer. Tranny needs rebuilding but worked great when removed, except second gear synchro was notchy.

datlowsunTDI

TDI
bhw
I have a spare FHN transmission and used single mass flywheel and clutch. If anyone is interested shoot me off an offer. Tranny needs rebuilding but worked great when removed, except second gear synchro was notchy.
still have the FHN?