05 Passat 2.0 TDI No start issue

tonygennari1

TDI
05 Passat
Hi,
So I have a TDI that wont start. It turns over like it should and comes close to starting but just wont. To confirm it is a fuel delivery issues I did a quick shot of starting fluid and it did start for a second. Here is what I have done so far.

New fuel lift pump in the tank. The old one was working but not well so I replaced it to be sure.

New fuel filter

New fuel filter check valve

New rubber fuel hoses near filter. Some of them looked old so replaced them to be sure no leak down the road.

Bleed the system still no start.

I did confirm that the RPM gauge does go up while cranking so I am pretty sure the crank sensor is getting a signal. The timing belt looks good and is turning as well while cranking. I did check the OBD and no codes in the system. I did order a VW VCDS but will not be here for couple days.

Any ideas would be great and appreciated I am just out of what to check next.
THANKS
Tony
05 Passat TDI 2.0
Metro Detroit MI area

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
crank 5 sec off 5 sec do that till it starts, if you have an extra battery put it in parallel

Last edited:

tonygennari1

TDI
05 Passat
Ok, crank it for 5-6 seconds each time about 15 times still no start. I rescanned it after doing so. I am now getting a couple codes Turbo boost sensor A high, and Turbo boost sensor A circuit Range

tonygennari1

TDI
05 Passat
Currently the tank is about half full. The boost sensor was a plug I didn't plug back in so that is cleared now. I got this car from a friend of mine not running. He said one day it just wouldnt start. Its been sitting for about 6 months according to him.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
What gp's are in it? Any blue/black puffs of exhaust smoke during cranking? Maybe not throwing codes

Kravt

TDI
2005 Passat
I’ve had engines in the past take longer than that to start after losing prime. If you think you’ve fixed a fuel system problem or two already, then it’s worth making sure you’ve given it a chance to get the system completely primed, with fuel getting to each injector. In my experience it is easy to think you’ve given it enough time when in reality prime is still a few cranks away. Every situation is different.
Easiest way I know of ensuring you’ve given it the needed time to prime is by removing the glow plugs and cranking it in 5 second bursts (doing much more could ruin a starter). This allows you to have faster crank speed (more injections for a given time length), less stress on the starter, and tells you without a doubt whether or not you have a prime, because you can see a diesel mist escape from each glow plug hole when it is actually primed. I usually stop after a minute or two of total cranking if I am not getting anything.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
That would also make it easy to check gp's. Most likely they are not ngk's.

tonygennari1

TDI
05 Passat
Thank you, Tomorrow my VW scan tool will finally be here so will find out if anything else shows up. I did also order a tandom/injector pump. That should be here tomorrow (Friday) as well. SO hopefully tmw I will have a good update. Thank you!

tonygennari1

TDI
05 Passat
UPDATE: I got the vacuum/tandom pump installed. When connecting the lines I did notive the fuel just didnt smell like fresh diesel. I know this car sat for sometime. So just to be sure I removed all the fuel and put fresh diesel in currently about 5 gallons. After that I removed the glow plugs so the engine would turn over faster and not kill the battery. I turned the engine over for 10 seconds each time and did so for for about 10 min. I then reinstalled the glow plugs after making sure they were working. I then tried to start the engine...... Still no go. Sounds close to starting just wont. To be sure it is still a fuel issue I did give it small shot of starting fluid. The engine fired and ran for a few seconds. I am out of ideas? Any ideas? Anyone know of shops in MI that work on TDI. Thank you again

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Sorry to see you go through all this. VAG is really limited on a non runner. Sounds like your problem is still fuel delivery. I would check fuel pressure. Harbor freight has a test kit that's not to pricey and works ok. Also do a full key on scan and see if you're getting any fuel pump faults. I don't know the capability of your scan tool so advise VCDS. Could be the tank lift pump. These PD engines usually aren't problematic with air like the VE are.

ajjw0828

TDI
2005 Passat GLS (5.5.) 2.0L BHW
I just had mine skip timing. Prolly not your issue if the cover is on the belt protecting it (unlike mine) but seeing that mine did the same thing as yours I can't help but wonder. Mine pulled in the hood latch connector and skipped time (i discovered later). Not enough to bend the valves but enough to make it turn over endlessly without firing, and enough to run/ fire if I sprayed starting fluid in it. Might be worth checking. Only takes like 30 minutes to pull the front bumper cover off, serpentine belt and crank pulley/ balancer. Then you just need the timing tools to inspect its good. I see you live in mi, where abouts? I'm in Holt. Again may not be your issue, just couldn't help but mention since yours is doing the exact same thing as mine was.

tonygennari1

TDI
05 Passat
Thank you for posting. I had to take a break from this one. It was frustrating me. Just can’t figure this one out. I haven’t checked the timing yet. The belt looks in good shape but I am going to check it tmw just so we know that for sure is not it.

tonygennari1

TDI
05 Passat
Is there a way to test the injectors? I did check to make sure there was a "pulse" with a test light. Also is there a way to check to make sure fuel is getting to the injectors? I know the older model the fuel lines to each injector was on the outside of the engine. Thank you in advance if anyone has any tips.

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
I had one do that. It would start consistently. But don't let it sit a day or two it would not start for anything. Had to use alternative measure to get it started. Some do not like it but I used a wet rag of gas over the air filter. It started and ran fine. then every time after that, then it sat a couple days. Mine was a 04 Passat, I for some reason checked my injectors. I unplugged one and tried top start it and sure enough when the bad one was unplugged it started right up. Just my experience Hope it helps.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
In a quiet place, do you hear the tank pump run? When you first turn the key to on you should hear it run for a few seconds. If not, it could be the pump relay.

Make sure the fuel hoses are connected correctly. From tank up to the filter, out from the filter to the tandem pump, from the head to the thermostatic T and from the T back to the tank.

Make sure to prime the whole fuel system. I usually use a hand vacuum on the filter outlet (line that goes to the tandem pump) to draw fuel up from the tank to the filter and fill the filter. Clamp off the line from the tank so it doesn't drain back. Reconnect the line to the tandem pump, disconnect the line from the head back to the filter thermostatic T and connect the vacuum pump to that line. Apply vacuum and unclamp the feed line. When properly primed fuel will come back to the filter end. Clamp it off, remove vacuum pump and reattach hose to the T.

If the engine starts and runs at that point, but dies later, remove the T. Is fuel in the filter or air? Air would indicate that one or more injectors need seal replacements. Fuel would indicate that the system is staying primed with fuel and the problem is something else.

Checking the physical timing (as suggested) would be in order.

Jetaah near Fowlerville has worked on these. I'm not sure he is doing anything with this virus situation, though.